“Great Art in an Art Town”

Holter Museum of Art
Ranked #18 of 48 things to do in Helena
Reviewed 31 May 2013

The Holter is world famous and world class. The paintings and exhibits are from around the world and also feature local artists. It is well worth a visit.

Reviewed 25 May 2013

Ok, so go there if you are stuck in Helena and don't know what to do and getting drunk is not an option. Maybe you will see something you will like, I certainly did. I vote it a good trip to pass the time.

Reviewed 24 March 2013

We visited the Holter Museum in search of ceramics made by a local potter. The Ansel Adams exhibit was fantastic, as were the other photo exhibits. Very few people were at the museum during our visit, which made it that much more enjoyable. Friendly staff and great museum. We'll visit again on a future visit to Helena!

Reviewed 24 September 2012

I quite enjoyed my visit to the Holter. I saw many fine examples of paintings and sculpture, but I especially liked the ceramics. Helena is famous for the Archie Bray Ceramic Institute and you can see the work of many of the artists here. I also like getting a chance to see the work of Montana artists.

Reviewed 16 August 2012

I always visit art museums when I travel and this is a gem. I didn't expect to find important art by well known 20th century artists in the permanent collection nor the thoughtful local art. I was worried I'd see lots of "Western" art...cowboys and horses. Not the case at all. Great stuff.