“Not for everyone.”

Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Helena
Blenheim, New Zealand
“Not for everyone.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012 via mobile

With the amount I travel I am always on the lookout for reasonably priced accommodation with a bit of character. It doesn't have to be fancy but it has to be clean, have a bed, decent shower and wifi that works. The Lamplighters met all of these requirements plus more. I arrived at the Lamplighter with my Kiwi friends after a long days ride by motorcycle. We were met by the ever friendly and cheerful Keli and checked into our separate cabins.the cabins were cute, a little worn but for the price a great place to stay for the night for us. We loved sitting out on the porch of the cabin on the hot summers evening, chatting with the other visitors, enjoying Keli' collection of four dogs and a cat and taking some time to washout bikes beside our units. The cabins had great flat screen TV's to watch the London Olympics before falling asleep. I loved the stay but readily admit that the Lamplighters wouldn't be for everyone. It has character plus but for those looking for a traditional motel experience with breakfast served in the morning in a common dining room it may not be for you. For me and my Kiwi traveling companions it was easily the best stay of our trip so far.

Stayed August 2012
2 Thank maac05

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Ogden, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

Keli keeps fixing it up, cabin by cabin. So quaint, cozy and friendly. My son goes to Carroll College so it is perfect for my stay. Expecially if you would like a bigger cabin with the kitchen, need to bring your own camp box for cooking. Close to the College and on the edge of the historic beautiful homes in Old Town Helena. Great walks. Pretty close to downtown also. A lot of art, shops and restaurants.Will be back.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Joan A
Whitefish, Montana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

Perfect little quirky cabins, close to downtown Helena. Check in and out was smooth and everyone is nice. We brought our dogs and they were very happy not to be in a hotel for the weekend. We came from Whitefish to bike and run in the Prickly Pear - so it was really nice to be able to bring the bikes from the cars straight into the cabin and not worry about them. We were able to quickly get to some great dog walking places too. Maybe the only negative was the water took a bit to warm up in the shower- but no big deal. Thanks we loved it and probably will be visiting the Lamplighter again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Otisjames
Temecula, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

We used the same cottage we had last year. They have done some updating and it was so nice to have a kitchenette. Coffee pot for early morning coffee and internet. I could keep in touch with work and my daughter could keep in touch with her substitute. We got the kids to Carroll college and it is just around the corner. Stores were close and it was lovely again. I love the look of the place built in the 1930s. The manager is friendly and so very helpful. We will stay there again next year if not before

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank wiseoldone
Temecula, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2011

I am a retired woman and I with my daughter were taking my first grandchild to college. I found this family run motel on the internet and found it quaint and tidy and cute. We had one of the larger units as we also had my grandson with us as well. Also our 17 yr old dog.
We had a refer, micro, and stove and a nice little table to east at. There were no cooking utensils but had been told that and brought our own from our camping equipment. The owner manager that I dealt with was very friendly and professional. We got there very late because of a wild fire and still were able to get into our unit. It was close to the college and even though it is old it is very nice. The other tenants were friendly as well and came from construction jobs and truckers that were fun to speak to. If I had to travel alone to visit or pick up either of the kids I would stay there in a heartbeat because I felt very safe.

Room Tip: Call ahead to make reservations and keep in touch
  • Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank wiseoldone
Puyallup, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2010

I was looking forward to staying in a cabin while on our motorcycle trip with friends. I booked our 2 bed CABIN with my credit card well in advance of our trip and then our friends reservered their own cabin or room choices. I called to confirm a month before our trip. One of the last in our group to reserve was called before the trip and asked if some in our group would like to share a house instead. He said he didn't know and couldn't speak for the rest of us. None of us said yes.
We got separated from some of our friends for a few hours on the day of our arrival and they got to the motel before us. When they arrived the motel manager put all of the keys on the desk and told them to choose their own cabins as if they arrived in a bus and had one reservation. When we arrived, the cabins WE RESERVED were gone. She did not honor our seperate reservations and I was not going to ask our friends to move once they had unpacked their bikes. But after a long day on the road, having to deal with this situation was very upsetting. It didn't end there. She put the rest of the keys on the desk and told the rest of us to more or less fight over the rooms that were left. Some of them had requested a cabin as well. My husband and I, who were the first in the group to make a reservation months in advance, took one for the team and took the worst room left in the place. We ended up in the back room of an old rundown house. I cannot review the cabins because I was too disappointed and upset to even look in one.I had no expectations of anything fancy at this establisment, having read the previous TripAdvisor reviews but the room we had was horrible. There were no chairs and no tables to put our bags on so we piled everything on the floor.Two sad beds sat at odd angles in the room, one with no bedside table at all. There was a metal rack on the wall with a few hangers and a small TV hung on the wall. There was a tiny fridge and a tiny microwave sat on top of it but no table to put any food or anything on so we dragged the ONE postage stamp sized bedside table over to accomodate the food and drinks we purchased at the gas station. No ice machine and no ice in the micro freezer so we had to venture out to buy that. The bedding was tacky and there was no decor at all. It was beyond funky. The only saving factor was the room was cheap and we had a porch with two chairs so we could at least sit somewhere besides on one the beds in the depressing room. Another couple in our group took the rest of the house that had a kitchenette, separate bedroom and big flat screen TV. They paid the same rate that we paid for our tiny, ugly room. hmmmmm. There was a locked door separating the sections but we didn't expect the other couple to give up their privacy.
The motel manager said she was new and I could tell she was upset with the way she had handled the situation but in our opinion that was no excuse for being so clueless and unprofessional as to not honor our separate reservations and for this group of mature adults to be treated like a bus load of kids going to camp.
If you do go there and you are lucky enough to actually get what you reserved on your own CC, the rest of the place is ok as long as you too have no expectations of anything fancy and 0 amenities. The cabins are bright yellow and very cute from the outside. There were lots of flowers and places to sit in the shade by the cabins. There is no ice or soda machine but a gas station store is a block away and across the street from that is a small mall with a grocery store and a burger joint next to that. The motel is in a nice residential area and some of us walked a few blocks to see some of the beautiful, huge, historic homes in the area and that was nice. It looked like there were several other places to visit within walking distance but it was very hot so we didn't venture far. This is the first time in all of our travels that we didn't leave a tip. I still feel bad about that because it wasn't the fault of the cleaning staff but I was still upset when we left town, so it is what it is.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Harleytravelerx2
Missoula, Montana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2010

My feelings about this motel really flip-flopped. At first I was happy to find a family-run motel in a residential neighborhood where I could have my dog and have a place to walk her. The price was very reasonable and there was no extra charge for the dog. The location is very close to Carroll College where I had to go in the morning.

I knew from the reviews that it would be old-fashioned and probably a little shabby and it was. Some of it was cute--an ironing board that folds into a cupboard on the wall! The carpeting was best just not looked at and since the room was small, that was fairly easy. The shower stall had old tile and discolored grout. I had a mini-fridge and microwave and cable TV. The bed was old but freshly made up with thin but clean linens.

My problem was that some of the other guests seemed a little seedy and unnerved me as a woman traveling alone. Then I found out that the old-style windows couldn't be locked and I knew I wasn't going to get a good night's sleep so I went elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo