“Mellow Yellow”
Review of Lamplighter Motel

Lamplighter Motel
Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Helena
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

When traveling we avoid all chains and enjoy supporting small independanly owned businesses. The Lamplighter fit the bill perfectly. Off the main drag and refreshingly different than the standard cookie cutter motel/hotel. The owners friendly and helpful. The room was clean and neat at a fair price.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank 7Btravelers

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I so wanted to love this place. The reviews were, for the most part, good so I had high hopes. The little, yellow, cabins looked sweet upon arrival. The bad part was opening the door to our cabin ( which had been reserved months in advance). The first thing that caught my eye was a very, very, dirty, soiled carpet. Not only soiled but unvacumed with bits of "things" up by the top of the bed. The doorknob fell off in my hand as I tried to close the door, and there was hair in the tub. We were tired and didn't want to lose our money, as it had been reserved, so decided to stay. We slept in our sleeping bags. The cabins are sweet and have lots of potential. When lying in bed it looked OK but the carpet and cleanliness sure need improving. We had a "kitchenette" that would be better off demolished, it was in sore need of some sprucing up. Having said all that: Joe was very pleasant and immediately fixed the doorknob.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank SylRickTraveler
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

We chose this hotel based on its proximity to the cemetery, but it's also a quick walk to down town Helena. Our cabin was laid out in the most bizarre way, and the fridge rattled, but otherwise it was quite comfy. It's nice to have your own little hut. Service was friendly too!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank rj7341
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I brought my daughter to Helena for a dance camp and stayed at the Lamplighter. The location was excellent and we biked to downtown for the camp almost daily which was awesome. The property was darling with little yellow cabins and mature trees in a neighborhood feel. A supermarket is seconds away which was handy as we had a kitchenette we could prepare meals in. The manager Joe at the front desk was wonderful. Super helpful, friendly, full of good suggestions, and just a great guy. Thanks Joe! Will definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Sandalwood
Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

Our first red flag at this place was the bars on the managers window when we checked in.
Second red flag was a young family coming to say they would accept the second room they were offered and would move their stuff over.
Then there was the room. Tiny, dirty & unkept. We were not impressed, then we pulled the bedding back to find dirty sheets complete with black hair. I told my wife, NO WAY, we'll get our money back & find another place.
The manager refunded our money & we left. We stopped at the next place we saw & they had a beautiful Queen suite, complete with a hot breakfast in their restaurant for $35 more.
Beware of the Lamplighter.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank hdexplorers
Reviewed 18 July 2013

our original room was very unacceptable. it looked like hadn't been touched since 70's. carpet,walls, furniture, beds, looked old and dirty. there were 3 tv's { those huge chunky ones from the 80's} and only 1 worked. a/c unit needed pliers to turn on- only 1 setting. cottage had a large basement with 4 beds and 1 small lamp. my 6 year old was very excited to find a secret storage closet filled with christmas decor. i've stayed in hunting cabins much nicer. the staff was nice enough to give us one of their "standard cabins". it was much better. it had a new a/c unit and a newer tv. the curtain/rod immediately fell off the wall when i touched it and the sheets were stained- hopefully washed though. no electrical outlets in bathroom.also, there was no housekeeping during our stay. motel was in a nice/quiet location however. if i were travelling alone, i may stay there again because of the cheap price. but i also enjoy camping and the outdoors. i would not bring my family back however.- you make the call, hope this was helpful.

Room Tip: room 29 was the better room. i think # 36 was the mini house from friday the 13th.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 November 2012

I immediately liked my little house at Lamplighter and I plan to stay there again. The room was very clean and everything worked properly, despite the initial appearance that you are stepping back into the 1960's. The kitchenette has no pots, pans, or utensils (they said the Health Dept won't allow that) although I must say that I've had other kitchenettes that had pots and utensils. Oh well, I'll take their word for it, just plan accordingly if you want to cook. The fridge is large and the freezer works well, although the fridge is a bit dated and makes strange sounds that reminded me of mice scampering around in the wall (I even went to check if this was the cause). The large flat screen TV went up to 1000 channels, although you get to watch only 300 or so.

This place if not for everybody, but I found it a refreshing change from the formularic motel room that everywhere else offers, invariably at a much higher price than Lamplighter.

Location is good, price is great, owners seem nice, rates high for originality and funkiness in a world filled more and more with bland sameness.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business