“Try somewhere else”

Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Helena
Puyallup, Washington
“Try somewhere else”
Reviewed 1 October 2010

I was looking forward to staying in a cabin while on our motorcycle trip with friends. I booked our 2 bed CABIN with my credit card well in advance of our trip and then our friends reservered their own cabin or room choices. I called to confirm a month before our trip. One of the last in our group to reserve was called before the trip and asked if some in our group would like to share a house instead. He said he didn't know and couldn't speak for the rest of us. None of us said yes.
We got separated from some of our friends for a few hours on the day of our arrival and they got to the motel before us. When they arrived the motel manager put all of the keys on the desk and told them to choose their own cabins as if they arrived in a bus and had one reservation. When we arrived, the cabins WE RESERVED were gone. She did not honor our seperate reservations and I was not going to ask our friends to move once they had unpacked their bikes. But after a long day on the road, having to deal with this situation was very upsetting. It didn't end there. She put the rest of the keys on the desk and told the rest of us to more or less fight over the rooms that were left. Some of them had requested a cabin as well. My husband and I, who were the first in the group to make a reservation months in advance, took one for the team and took the worst room left in the place. We ended up in the back room of an old rundown house. I cannot review the cabins because I was too disappointed and upset to even look in one.I had no expectations of anything fancy at this establisment, having read the previous TripAdvisor reviews but the room we had was horrible. There were no chairs and no tables to put our bags on so we piled everything on the floor.Two sad beds sat at odd angles in the room, one with no bedside table at all. There was a metal rack on the wall with a few hangers and a small TV hung on the wall. There was a tiny fridge and a tiny microwave sat on top of it but no table to put any food or anything on so we dragged the ONE postage stamp sized bedside table over to accomodate the food and drinks we purchased at the gas station. No ice machine and no ice in the micro freezer so we had to venture out to buy that. The bedding was tacky and there was no decor at all. It was beyond funky. The only saving factor was the room was cheap and we had a porch with two chairs so we could at least sit somewhere besides on one the beds in the depressing room. Another couple in our group took the rest of the house that had a kitchenette, separate bedroom and big flat screen TV. They paid the same rate that we paid for our tiny, ugly room. hmmmmm. There was a locked door separating the sections but we didn't expect the other couple to give up their privacy.
The motel manager said she was new and I could tell she was upset with the way she had handled the situation but in our opinion that was no excuse for being so clueless and unprofessional as to not honor our separate reservations and for this group of mature adults to be treated like a bus load of kids going to camp.
If you do go there and you are lucky enough to actually get what you reserved on your own CC, the rest of the place is ok as long as you too have no expectations of anything fancy and 0 amenities. The cabins are bright yellow and very cute from the outside. There were lots of flowers and places to sit in the shade by the cabins. There is no ice or soda machine but a gas station store is a block away and across the street from that is a small mall with a grocery store and a burger joint next to that. The motel is in a nice residential area and some of us walked a few blocks to see some of the beautiful, huge, historic homes in the area and that was nice. It looked like there were several other places to visit within walking distance but it was very hot so we didn't venture far. This is the first time in all of our travels that we didn't leave a tip. I still feel bad about that because it wasn't the fault of the cleaning staff but I was still upset when we left town, so it is what it is.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Harleytravelerx2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Missoula, Montana
Reviewed 7 August 2010

My feelings about this motel really flip-flopped. At first I was happy to find a family-run motel in a residential neighborhood where I could have my dog and have a place to walk her. The price was very reasonable and there was no extra charge for the dog. The location is very close to Carroll College where I had to go in the morning.

I knew from the reviews that it would be old-fashioned and probably a little shabby and it was. Some of it was cute--an ironing board that folds into a cupboard on the wall! The carpeting was best just not looked at and since the room was small, that was fairly easy. The shower stall had old tile and discolored grout. I had a mini-fridge and microwave and cable TV. The bed was old but freshly made up with thin but clean linens.

My problem was that some of the other guests seemed a little seedy and unnerved me as a woman traveling alone. Then I found out that the old-style windows couldn't be locked and I knew I wasn't going to get a good night's sleep so I went elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Helena hotels

Billings
Reviewed 8 July 2009

Great Place to be able to stay. The novelty of having a fridge, cook top and Microwave for under 70 dollars was great.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank grizly56
Montana
Reviewed 11 February 2007

We will not be returning to the Lamplighter unless new management takes over. We were going to stay a few days because it was convenient but the staff was unprofessional and the rooms needed a lot of work done. The small cottages were overpriced. When we left for the day we would come back to find our heat was turned way down so we came back to a cold room. We left after one night and went to a much better motel even though it was a little out of the way.

Stayed February 2007
2 Thank USMCwifeMontana
Columbia Heights, MN
Reviewed 11 September 2006

My son and I stayed at the Lamplighter in July, 2004. When traveling I try to find places to stay that are something other than your standard motel fare yet reasonably priced. The Lamplighter fits this requirement perfectly. It is a rather dated establishment but clean and very convenient to the sites in Helena that we wanted to see. The motel is a group of cottages nestled near a busy highway yet far enough removed that you don’t even notice the cars speeding by. In fact, the motel seems rather out of place as it is on the edge of, yet really part of, a residential area. It is about a mile walk through an older but very well kept up residential area to the rather quaint Last Chance Gulch area. There is a small slot only casino just across the nearby highway.

Our cottage contained everything you would want for a comfortable relaxing stay. We cooked our own meals in the fully equipped kitchen and you could park right next to your cottage. I look forward to staying there again the next time I am in Helena.

• Liked — Lots of room in the cottages
  • Disliked — Clean but needs some upgrading.
  • Stayed July 2004, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank twocars
Fort Macleod, AB
Reviewed 21 July 2006

We stayed here for 3 days in July 2006. The location of this motel is great! It is located in the historical mansion district and is within walking distance to the downtown area (the walk is right past all the mansions). They offer quaint cottages or a motel style lodging.
We stayed in a cottage. It had 2 double beds, an old kitchenette w/ fridge & microwave (fridge was great, wouldn't use the stove), and an outdated bathroom. The beds and bathroom were clean, but the rug was stained and the tub was worn, with a low shower head. There is air conditioning (great for hot summer days), a small TV with cable and wireless internet.
This place would be great if they renovated the rooms, which may be in progress as one of the buildings was being painted.

Stayed June 2006