“Historical elegance”

Sanders - Helena's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 7 Helena B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Arriving tired from a long day of travel and being met by a cheerful host with a pot of tea and fresh chocolate chip cookies was a great start, and it all just got better and better. Large rooms in a historic mansion with friendly hosts, lovely breakfasts and any questions answered gives the Sanders five stars.The old wooden stairs creak (they'll help with your cases), but the stunning balustrade holding them together makes it worth it!

Room Tip: Ask for the ground floor if you're a fan of the Ringling Bros circus!! (they're related!)-or...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank CassieGlamorgan

Reviewed 12 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here on the first night of our honeymoon trip. We absolutely loved it and wished we had decided to stay longer. It is so comfortable and the staff is very welcoming and kind. The home is absolutely beautiful. We walked downtown and had dinner, which was really fun. The breakfast was great. I would highly recommend this B&B!

Room Tip: Teddy's Buckaroo was an awesome room...I highly recommend it!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Christine M
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We've stayed in many B & B's around the world, and this one rates highly. It's an 1875 Victorian mansion located in a pretty, leafy area of Helena (only one block from the old governor's mansion and two blocks from the beautiful cathedral). The walk to downtown Helena is only 5-10 minutes, and the downtown area is lively, with good restaurants and shopping. Parking is on street, but plentiful and safe. The grounds are kept nicely, with lots of flowers, etc. We stayed for two nights in PJ's Room, with a comfortable king bed and nice furnishings. The room just had a small TV, but that wasn't a big issue for us. The bathroom had a nice stall shower. Lighting in the room was very good, which is often an issue in older B & B's.

The innkeeper here (Bobbi) knows how to enhance the B & B experience. She's outgoing and takes the time to talk to guests, provides refreshments on the front porch, helpful with restaurant choices, etc. She and her family live on site, which is always a good thing. The breakfasts were very good, served at two large tables in a nice dining room. Overall, a very nice stay in a lovely house in a lovely area, and the price was reasonable.

Room Tip: You may have to climb a couple of flights of stairs to your room, but the innkeeper will help with l...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lchjr
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My husband and I decided to go exploring from Sacramento to Calgary and back. We stayed in Bed and Breakfasts inns during the entire trip and I have to say this experience ranks amongst the best. As a young girl I lost myself in Victorian novels, and it has not been until now that I have been privilege to stay in a home that met all my dreams. We were in the bottom floor room that is just off the parlor. The parlor is perfectly outfitted in all ways. Rich reds and highly polished wood with Ringling Brothers momentos everywhere. Our room was fantastically furnished and the bathroom must be seen. It has a claw foot tub and a shower for two!

Bobbi and her family simply made the stay for us. We didn't feel like hotel guests, we were real guests, distant family welcomed instantly. Warm cookies greeted us when we arrived. She gave us lots of suggestions about where to go for dinner, and we gladly took her advice. Helena is a wonderful town to explore and it was nice to have some tips. Breakfast was a souffle (delicious) and juice and tea. We met her boys, both of whom are wonderful young men, very gracious.

We were so impressed that we plan to go to Helena again, just to stay and take a few more days and meet up with the family again. Bobbi, Doug said to tell you that you should start mentoring other B&B folks in successful inn keeping, you certainly set the bar high!

We both highly recommend the Sanders inn.

Room Tip: I can't imagine a nicer room than the one on the first floor, but it is also hard to imagine tha...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Krebsbach
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I knew the Sanders' reputation as I'm a Helena area resident and have known people who stayed here. So when I had a special occasion arise, I knew right where I wanted to go! I had a reunion with my college roommate here - we hadn't seen each other in over 30 years, so I wanted a quiet, intimate atmosphere. Knowing and sharing her love of older mansions and antiques it was easy to choose the Sanders over a hotel chain. We stayed in "Beth's Room" as it had 2 beds. Breakfast was very good - blueberry pancakes served with your choice of either pure maple or homemade chokecherry syrup, delicious strawberries, and the best sausage I've ever tasted - homemade and delicately spiced with cumin, cayenne, etc. The owners, Bobbi Uecker and Rock Ringling (yes, the circus family) are the sweetest couple and have filled their home with love. They did an amazing job restoring the property from the apartment house it was when they bought it! They leave unoccupied rooms open so guests can wander - a good marketing idea so you can start thinking about your next stay and the room you want! My friend is already planning her next stay when she brings her husband in a few months. And I will think of more excuses to stay in this wonderful place in my own backyard!

Room Tip: Beth's Room has a king and a twin bed.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Robin R
Reviewed 28 May 2014

It was our pleasure to spend three nights at the Sanders B&B recently. Bobbi and Rock have done a beautiful job of restoring this historic residence. In spite of its age, everything is in perfect working condition, clean and comfortable. Although the bathroom is small (PJs), it is amazingly well appointed. There is ample room to store all of your toiletries and more. The breakfasts were not only delicious but also easy on your waistline. Perfect portions and flavors of health-conscious foods. Unlike most B&Bs I've stayed in, Bobbi and Rock took the time to join us at breakfast to share stories about their hometown with us and make sure we got the best out of our vacation. Thank you so much for such a pleasant stay. We look forward to seeing you again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CarolMinnneapolis
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We stayed at Sanders--Helena's Bed and Breakfast recently. I have toured many of this type mansions but never spent a night in one until now. It was elegant, with period furnishings but modern conveniences at t-v, wifi, indoor plumbing. They have it all there besides making you feel like you are the first and only guests to come and be there. 5 stars for them if that's the highest!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business