“A Great Stay in Helena” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Helena
Calgary, Canada
“A Great Stay in Helena”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel while on a road trip through Montana. The hotel is located in the downtown area of Helena. It was a bit hard to find the car entrance as the main entrance is off of the pedestrian mall walkway. Check-in was quick and I was soon in my room. The room was nice and spacious with the usual amenities. The bed was beyond comfortable - probably the best I have slept in. Wireless internet and parking were free. The internet had good strength and speed. The only downside of parking is there were no cold-weather plug ins. It was quite cold when I was staying and I was afraid it would not start in the morning. The pool and hot tub were okay, though I think there was an issue with the dehumidifiers since there was a heavy fog throughout the area. Room service was good and reasonably priced. The cost was $117/night, which is reasonable for a full-service hotel. Overall, my stay was great. I would recommend this hotel for both families and business travelers.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors provide beautiful views of Helena.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
kfleming71, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Helena, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you for staying with the Holiday Inn Helena. We appreciate all reviews good or bad. Our beds are just the BEST and we have several guests who have purchased them from time to time. We hope that should your travels return you to Helena, that you choose us for your lodging needs.
Staff and Management Thank You.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stay at Holiday Inns regularly so I am aware of their general standards. This one was ok nothing special, but neither is Helena itself compared to the rest of Montana. The staff were very friendly and helpful at checkin. The rooms are relatively basic, clean, but the bathrooms could do with a small upgrade. I got the impression a lot of conference attendees stay at this Holiday Inn. It is in close proximity to the mall and a few restaurants. Overall fine for an overnight, nothing special though.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Helena, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear outdoor21,

Thank you very much for your comments. I am delighted that you found our staff to be helpful and location convenient. I am sorry that some aspects of our hotel facilities did not meet your expectations. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades.

Again, thank you for your feedback and for staying with us. We all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Bozeman, Mt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

Better than average hotel. This was my first stay since it became a Holiday Inn four or so years ago.

Location couldn't be better being downtown near the brewery and the walking mall. The front desk gal was lovely and very accommodating. The room felt very clean and they bed was comfortable with a decent LCD TV. There was a small balcony with great views of downtown. I think all the rooms have this small balcony.

The sports bar downstairs had a fun bartender and crowd. They also had better than expected bar food. The hot tub was a nice hot temp with only two obnoxious screaming kids running around (bad echo).

They let us store a couple very expensive mountain bikes in their locked and unused ballroom.

Props to whoever is managing this hotel. Nice job and I'll be back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Joshua R, Manager at Holiday Inn Helena, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Absaroka,

Thank you for your insight on your first stay with us since we became a part of the IHG Holiday Inn Branded Family. It sounds as if you had a great time here in Helena and hopefully you were able to experience the great biking Helena has to offer! When it comes to our balconied rooms, we do have a few rooms that do not have them on our second floor. Your props have been passed on to the other managers in house and we will be sure to do hold to this standard for your return and for those to stay with us in the future. Thank you Absaroka for sharing your experience!

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn in downtown Helena twice, and would definitely recommend it. It is so nice to be in a vibrant and interesting downtown, with great restaurants to choose from within easy walking distance. The rooms are good and reasonably quiet. The breakfast room is rather dark and uninviting, but the food was good.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Joshua R, Manager at Holiday Inn Helena, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Hikermeister,

Thank you for another great review! We greatly appreciate your business and look forward to your return in the future. I would like to recommend that you try the seating in our sports bar, where the light comes through the surrounding windows. It is much more vibrant than the dining in our vino bar area. A lot of our guests tend to think that the vino bar is the only place to eat breakfast which is not the case at all and we actually encourage our guest to sit in the sports bar because of the atmosphere it provides. Thank you once again for your patronage and all of your support! Until next time "Safe travels to you and yours".

Wenatchee, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

We really checked the reviews before choosing a hotel. The negative comments seemed insignifcant to us & we're glad we chose this one. It's a lovely older Holiday Inn that has been beautifully maintained. It has a sports bar/restaurant (called the Quarry) with excellent food & very attentive staff. We enjoyed the outdoor seating area for dinner. Our room was very attractive, very clean & had a partial view of downtown walking mall area. Bed was so comfortable that I'd wake up thinking I was at home! Front desk staff was very courteous, friendly & helpful. The price was just a bit less than other hotels in the area of similar quality so that was a plus. We noticed that even though they don't provide a free breakfast, the cost of the room offsets that when compared to the higher priced hotels with the free breakfast. We had a wonderful stay!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Joshua R, Manager at Holiday Inn Helena, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Margaret2009,

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review! We greatly appreciate you giving us a try aside from the negative reviews we've received in the past. We do our very best to fulfill all our guest's request and expectations and we are very happy to hear we've met yours. If you ever have the opportunity to stay again we'd love to be your home away from home. Thank you once again for sharing your experience and until next time safe travels!

Hythe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

Has to be in one of the best locations in downtown Helena, the front doors open right onto the pedestrianized main street and the rear doors are right next to the car park which makes it really easy to unload. Parking is free, they give you a display pass on check in. I received a very good welcome on checking in, all documents printed and all I had to do was sign and take the elevator. The front desk staff even knew I had stayed before and were very welcoming.

I was given a room on the 7th floor and whilst a really great room it suffered from external noise from a motor of some kind which kept me awake and was intrusive which was a shame as the room was seriously good. I asked to be moved the following morning and I was given a 6th floor room which was very quiet and very comfortable. The staff were super helpful on this.

Beds are great, on night two I got one of the best sleeps I have had, the showers are good and everything else works as it should. Very clean and cared for.

The Quarry Bar is very good, busy with a good feel to it, excellent attentive staff and the food very good. I enjoyed it here over two nights.

Leaving the room noise to one side on night one, this is a good hotel with friendly helpful and welcoming staff. Thanks guys.

Room Tip: 6th floor rooms are quiet, 7th floor rooms suffered external noise when I was there, but I reckon th...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Joshua R, Manager at Holiday Inn Helena, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
John D,

Thank you for you review Sir! You and your family member were a pleasure to have in house. From all of us here at the Holiday Inn Downtown Helena and The Quarry Bar & Grille we wish you the very best in your travels and we hope to see you again one day!

Montana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

How To Make A Hotel Customer Unhappy:

1. Send me up to my room, only to have to carry my bags back down because the key lock turns green, but doesn't open.

2. Tell me, "Oh, you have to pull the door handle up, not push it down. Sorry we forgot to tell you that." Yeah, you are different from every other hotel lock in the world and you forgot to tell me that.

3. Give me a coupon for a free well drink but don't let me use that for a discount on a premium drink. EVERY other hotel in your brand will just give me a discount off the premium price, but you only gift me cheap booze.

4. When I came back to my room later on and the key card doesn't work in either direction, I had this conversation at the front desk.

Me: "My key card doesn't work. I'm in room ###"
Hotel: "That's because we gave another card to your roommate."
Me: "I don't have a roommate."
Hotel: "Oops, let me re-write your card."

So they didn't give the card to someone else, but it was a disturbing conversation.

I only stay here because of the location downtown.

The rooms are fine, there were re-done about five years ago. They sometimes have better service.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor. The rooms facing nice have the best views.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
ITravelMontana,

Thank you for sharing your concerns so we may improve our service.

Our hotel locks from time to time lose their catch inside the mechanisms when they are slammed shut repeatedly causing the door only to be opened by pulling up on the handle.
This is an issue we have been dealing with quite frequently. Unfortunately as things are used they wear down and break over time. We do resolve the issues as they are brought to our attention such as your door issue. When a guest comes down such as you did "green light with no entry" our agents are trained to advise guests to pull up and then the agent fills out a work order for our head of maintenance. We have reviewed the work order slips and there was not one filled out for your room until your stay date, so we truly don't understand why you were told "Sorry we forgot to tell you that" being that it was a new case. This is a training issue that we are improving on.

We only offer complimentary drinks for our Gold & Platinum IHG Rewards Club Members and the drink coupon is good for a choice of one house wine or well liquor as stated. Hotel management will be sure to discuss other options for the complimentary drink.

We apologize for the misunderstanding during your stay regarding your key issue. We have spoken to the agent who was on staff during your time of stay and she explained that she had you confused with another guest in house. As you had stated there was not a key issued to someone else for your room as security procedures were followed, although it was a disturbing conversation at the least. We have reviewed this very situation with her utilizing this review to help better her service skills when assisting guests in the future.

Thank you for your time put into your review and once again thank you for the insight so we may better serve you and others in the future!

Respectfully,