“Excellent hotel in an interesting town”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Helena
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Helena
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Excellent hotel in an interesting town”
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Like most Fairfield Inns in the Marriott chain, this location gives excellent value - clean room, comfortable bed, free Internet, hot breakfast. What else does one need for a night? Did I mention a free USA Today?

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Unless you like to share your room with previous guests hair everywhere, dust abounding, food wrappers beneath the furnishings, stained curtains and towels, and...worst of all...fecal matter on the wallpaper and the bathroom fixtures, AVOID THIS HOTEL!!! It is NOT a AAA 3-diamond-rated hotel !!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank CARLSBADtraveler59
Boise
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I made reservations for a 2-day stay. After my initial experience, I checked out early and went to the FABULOUS (new) Residence Inn in Helena. What a contrast. Here's my experience:
1. The check-in experience was RUSHED, the front desk staff started checking in another guest before I had my questions answered.
2. In the room, there was food stuck in the carpet - this should have been cleaned and removed before I arrived.
3. This is minor, but the bar of bath soap was broken in half (in the wrapper). This should have been obvious to the housekeeping staff - but they left it in the room anyhow.
4. The air conditioner ran constantly (from 3:30pm - 10:30pm) and never cooled the room enough to cycle off. Turned it off so that I could sleep, but the room was stuffy and warm ...not a good combination for a late summer day.
5. I failed to check the alarm clock before I went to bed. Yep, housekeeping FAILED to ensure that it was "OFF" before I got the room. (this is one of their checklist items).
6. There was MOLD on the shower liner. Yuck!
7. There was a spider in the bathtub. (no big deal, but I don't want insects in the room). The Manager told me they spray for spiders.
8. The bath towels were very, very, very, very thin. I guess I'm used to relatively plush towels in my hotel rooms?
9. In the exercise room, the (bottled) water dispenser was dirty and had debris encrusted on the dispensing nozzle. Yuck! I grabbed a Clorox wet nap (used to clean sweat off of exercise equipment) and cleaned it myself.
10. The hotel's Internet (Wi-Fi) connection speed was slower than slow. Speed test resulted in 43Kb/s (remember dial-up modems? they ran up to 56Kb/s).

All these issues overshadowed any positives. What did I like about the hotel? Let’s see…
1. Hot water in the bathroom.
2. Ice in ice makers.

Frustrated and disappointed, I checked out early.
I was able to present my concerns with the Manager, he apologized and offered to discount the room by 50%.

I checked into the Helena Residence Inn for the rest of my stay - and had a FABULOUS experience.

Note: I'm in hotel rooms about 80-90 nights a year. In the past 6 years, this is the 3rd time I've been brought to the point of complaining.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel. I would suggest the Residence Inn.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank GoodGear
Tallahassee, FL
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Have stayed here several times before. Two different times in the course of 10 days on this vacation. The hotel is reasonably clean and comfortable. Just like it should be. Did not have any problems what so ever. The best part is breakfast. Very good, not a buffet, but more that just a continental. The person at breakfast kept everything just right.

Though this not the fanciest hotel it is a great value for the money. The rooms just as nice as any other fairfield, but the breakfast was much better. For comparison, we stayed at the Fairfield in Great Falls the night before and the rooms were about the same but the breakfast in Helena was 100 times better and our price was less.

Will stay here again if we get to Helena again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank dp226
Sun Valley, Idaho
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Recently renovated, modern and very clean. Lots of kids in the indoor pool. Good location. Friendly staff who were happy to recommend a place for cycling. I would definitely stay here again. Elevator so I could bring my bike inside.

Room Tip: I was on the top floor and it was very quiet with no road noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Jan35614
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We stayed one night as we were just passing through Helena. The hotel is typical Fairfield, a little spartan compared to SpringHill Suites, but the staff was friendly and accomodating, they served a nice hot breakfast, and, most important, we enjoyed a good nights sleep. We would stay here again. This hotel is above average for its class.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SurfOrlando
Aloha, Oregon
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We spent three nights around 7/4/2012 and the staff was friendly, personal, and courteous. The value for price was excellent; the room was spacious and clean. We had to cut our stay short due to an illness, and the staff not only assisted us with checkout, but expressed genuine concern to my son. Every worker: the kitchen attendant, front desk clerks, room service, and maintenance - polite and helpful and personable. Only thing I had trouble with was internet access in that a third party handles the connections, which was a little disturbing at first, but I think I remember the front desk telling me about it ahead of time.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family