“Decent”

Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Helena
Chicago, Illinois
“Decent”
Reviewed 24 March 2013

I stayed here one night on business. It was decent--a fairly standard Fairfield Inn. My room was small, but had a chair, reasonably comfortable bed, flat-screen TV, and small desk. Everything was clean and in working order. Decor was pleasant. Internet was free and reasonably speedy. Room could have used a new clock radio and a new coffee maker (the current one had seen some better days and the in-room coffee I made in the morning was spit-out bad).

It seemed like an older Fairfield Inn property, but looks like it had been renovated with new carpet, etc. Lobby was fairly small. I didn't use the complimentary breakfast. The fitness center wasn't much, but it did have a couple of treadmills...enough for a decent workout.

The service upon check-out was very pleasant. I can't say the same of check-in. The woman was sitting at the desk, reading, and she was definitely more interested in getting back to her book than helping me. Didn't welcome me as a Marriott Rewards elite member, didn't ask if I had any questions--just basically took my name, told me to initial here, and gave me a key.

I'd go back, but I'd also look at other options in Helena, too.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Missoula, Montana
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Checked in and the gentleman at the desk did not look at me once. No friendly greeting or recognition at all. He totally ignored me when I entered later that evening. In the morning I asked for cold water in the breakfast area and was told by the front desk that they only had hot water. A quiet girl at the desk picked up the empty water pitcher and returned it with ice water. Nice to see one friendly person there. Tried a cup of tea but the water was only luke warm (no hot water there) The fruit was too brown and mushy, the tea cool so I went out for breakfast.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 February 2013

Not bad, no complaints. Good price and everything I would expect from a Fairfield Inn. Just be careful when you drive into the parking lot, take the second entrance because the first may scrape the bottom of your car.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Billings
Reviewed 18 December 2012

I recently stayed in this hotel for two nights along with two co-workers. We each had our own room. I dropped a razor on the bathroom floor. When I bent down to get it, I had the misfortune of looking at the wall under the sink. It was very dirty. If it had ever been cleaned, it had obviously been a long time previously. Also, when I got in the shower, I noticed a couple of hairs left on the soap rack.

Although I thought that was disgusting, it was tame compared to the experience of one of my co-workers. When he checked in, he noticed that there was vomit on the bedspread. He was so tired, that he slept there anyway (I wouldn't have). When he told the desk clerk later, he said that person responded that it was probably just food. I thought that even if that was the case, that was a very poor response.

The next day I asked him if they had gotten his bedspread issue fixed. He said that they did not.

I suspect that the Marriott people would be in shock if they did a cleanliness check at this particular hotel. You can be assured that I will be staying elsewhere my next trip to Helena.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Steve P
Great Falls, Montana
Reviewed 12 December 2012

The management and staff are very friendly here. The hotel is very cozy and the breakfast is great! If you don't mind paying a few extra bucks get the bigger room, you wont be disappointed. It is very close to food and shopping if you want to do so. It is also a few blocks from my job so that was a big bonus for me.

Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Al G
Truckee, California
Reviewed 16 November 2012

friendly staff. close to town and airport. indoor pool, nice rooms-typical Fairfield. Free Breakfast was ready prior to 5:30 AM, which is unusual. Most are 6:00 AM or 6:30 AM that was nice since I had to leave at 5:30 AM. I would stay here again

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank calsun99
Not here
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Clean room, quiet, excellent and abundant complimentary breakfast, decent pool and hot tub for the kids. Very good rate. We travel this route frequently and will stay here again. $40 cheaper than our usual choice (best western) and definitely comparable.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family