“Big room, great breakfast, friendly professional service”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Helena
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Helena
Billings, Montana
“Big room, great breakfast, friendly professional service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Loved our stay in this fresh space. Hot buffet breakfast and clean pool. Coffee, tea, and hot cocoa readily available. Does charge a deposit for amenities so be prepared as we weren't told when our cc was billed. Amenities are priced fairly and great assortment :)

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank KLSnJLB
Chad D, District Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Helena, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
KLSnJLB,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay, we really appreciate it! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our hotel, and all the amenities we offer. I’m not sure what amenities you are referring to that we charge for, our pool, fitness center, and full service breakfast are all included in your room rate. We do authorize your card for $20 more each day as a safety net for the hotel, as incidental protection. However that authorization is released upon checkout. We hope to see you again soon, please let us know if you have any questions with future reservations.

Chad DeBuff
District Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Sylvan Lake, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

We stayed at the Helena Fairfield on January 28, 2014. I want exceptionally clean rooms and this hotels has exceptionally clean rooms so I was really pleased. They have a great staff, they are very friendly and help full. The Manager even held the door for us when we were taking out our luggage. The rooms are very quiet and heard no noise from any other guests.
The breakfast was great. Anything you could get in a restaurant they had. The lady making and looking after the breakfast was a very friendly and fabulous person.
I stay in a lot of high end hotels and this one even meets those standards and its classed as a medium class hotel. I do not know what people are complaining about. If you want a $350.00 a night hotel then you had better stay in one and not expect to pay $130.00 per night and have the same quality.
Sylvia
Alberta Canada

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marie P
Baldeagle82, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Helena, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Thank you so much for the kind words. We have worked for the last couple of years expanding the breakfast buffet and are always interested in guest feedback to make it better. I will certainly pass along the awesome comments to the staff. Sincerely, Jeff Kurtz, CHA, General Manager
Spokane, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

We visited this hotel last weekend when it was sub degree weather. The heater was extremely noisy and kept us up most of the night. The person working the front desk lacked in customer service with any type of acknowledgement of us in the lobby area or coming or going. We checked out the next morning and went to another Marriott hotel in the area that was much more comfortable and a bonus was the heater was quiet and allowed us to get a restful night sleep.

Room Tip: Don't visit in the winter if you need or want heat.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Baldeagle82, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Helena, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Guests - if a problem arises on our property - just let us know - we will quickly respond to your needs. If one has a problem with a noisy heater unit let us know because we could promptly move you. Dear Froglag -you checked in early afternoon and never once mentioned a loud PTAC unit. The inattentive customer service person you wrote of was also the one that overheard you were having car troubles and gave you the hotel car jumper box so you could get on the road - he was also the one that looked up road conditions on the computer to see how road conditions were on the way to Spokane as you were checking out early to beat the storm (your words not ours). You did mention that the heater was loud upon departure, that was the first we had heard of it. We have replaced almost all the PTAC units in the sleeping rooms with new units - sometimes even new things break and need replaced or repaired - give the property an opportunity to fix a problem - if we ignore it and fail to rectify a situation then beat us up on these sites.

Jeff Kurtz General Manager
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

My first time Helena. Decided to stay there because it was walking distance to my business meetings.

I would say that the experience was good. Nothing memorable about it, nothing bad about it. Un-distinctive hotel, good service overall. Good price.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

In February 2013, After the GM Jeff Kurtz began his tirade as soon as we walked in the door of the hotel to check in, I reported him to Marriott, because I am a rewards member and I thought they would care. At first they listened and took the complaint, but then after he explained away his abusive and rude behavior, they seemed to think it was acceptable and he sent he what I would call an arrogant and exposing his need to feel superior and never admit his mistake apology letter that went on a full page to excuse away and explanation as to WHY he said what he did to us (like anyone really cares because he never really apologized just further lectured me) and correcting me on how I should behave and what I should do or say...that is NOT an apology.

All his craziness aside, the room was very clean... the other staff were pleasant but I was afraid to walk through the lobby because I didnt want to be near this abusive man again. I didnt feel safe while staying in the hotel since he did nothing but insult my mother and I. My mother is a disabled veteran and even knowing that he would not stop his verbal attacks, even as we walked away from the desk. I wouldve made a reservation at another hotel but I was already locked into this one and didnt have the $ to go elsewhere. the AC in the room didnt work properly but I wasnt about to ask for a room change after what he did to us and how he chastised me. Our truck got scratched in the parking lot as well.

Honestly I wouldve thought someone was crazy if they told me that someone acted like he did to them AND got away with it, but this is the truth and was by far the worst experience Ive ever had at any hotel and I have traveled internationally as well.

This GM Jeff Kurtz does not care about guests comfort or safety... he will minimize anything you report about him and explain things away and then "correct" you and "inform" you on how you should behave or what you should say. He will be rude to you and will not resolve anything for you. I joined tripadvisor and other websites to report this man since Marriott wouldnt do anything beyond his "apology" letter. I will pay more to go to another hotel and have since this happened and I come to Helena once a month at least to visit family.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Tat2dbabydoll76
Baldeagle82, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Helena, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
I see that is now acceptable to make personal attacks on Tripadvisor.
To clarify Ms. Bastiansen’s comments – She arrived with a single government rate room with two adults which she had reserved on-line. We do have an additional person fee on government rate – which she was not charged. Marriott’s government rates are available to active duty military or current government employees, which she was not. Her service animal had several accidents in the room in the 24 hours they occupied the room. I have never had a service animal have issues in a room. But they were kind enough to clean it up with our new bath towels and leave them all over the place, which we ended up throwing away, but didn’t charge them for it. I find it funny that when she complained to Marriott never did she mention the scratch to her vehicle or the a/c issues, even though her complaint was paragraphs long. Watch for her video on YouTube – I would be the one not waving my arms and circling the lobby.
Her mother and I had a good conversation after her daughter left the lobby for almost 45 minutes. She didn’t seem to fearful of me.
At this hotel we have 58 sleeping rooms and we deliver quality clean accommodations with a great complimentary full breakfast buffet. On occasion, we do have issues just like any business.
I have been in the Hospitality Industry for over 30 years, I pride myself on the people I know and the guests I take care of. I like everyone have my bad days but I treat people with respect and work hard to keep our standards to provide quality sleeping rooms with quality service.
We will continue to work hard to improve on any issues that arise and take all comments good and bad to heart. Most of the staff has been here the five years I have been here and we all seem to work well together. I don’t believe Ms. Bastiansen’s comments to be a true indicator of me or the facility. She was given the single government rate that she wasn't qualified for and her service animal was allowed to stay at no charge and she wasn’t charged for the towels that were ruined or the additional clean-up and sanitation required.

Jeff Kurtz, General Manager
Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

This is an average Fairfield Inn but in a good location. On check in the person working the desk was not very welcoming but as we talked with him he became more pleasant and offered recommendations for dinner. The room was clean and beds comfy. The motel was easy to find so that was a real plus, after a long day of driving. The room was quiet and breakfast was good. A handy place to stay while in Helena.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Issaquah, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

As soon as we arrived in the room we turned on the air conditioner and it was noisy. Called the front desk expecting to be moved but he came to the room, looked at it with a flash light and said all air conditioners are noisy and left. We assumed we weren't moved to another room because it was full. At 3:00 AM it started sounding like a jack hammer. Called the front desk and the night person said she would move us to another room. I asked her why we weren't moved when we first called and she said she didn't know but to come and get another key. Turns out the room we moved to was RIGHT NEXT TO OUR ROOM! I said I wanted to talk to the manager because I did not think we should pay for this terrible room and lack of sleep. When we checked out we were told the manager wasn't there but he took $40 off. I wasn't pleased and asked to speak to the manager but was told again he wasn't in and then I asked for his card. Since he wasn't there I waited till the next day to call and talk to him. He had poor customer service and I expressed my displeasure with this experience because I have stayed there before with good experiences. I would not be returning and his response was "whatever" Manager is not interested in repeat customers.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family