“One of the best priced hotels around Glacier”

Kalispell Hilltop Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Kalispell B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Yes we would stay there again the owners were great to deal with and very friendly. We only needed one queen bed. When booking they were full so we had to book a room with 2 queen beds. A single queen opened up and she sent me an email to see if we wanted it. Which saved us a little money. Book ahead because I'm sure they fill up!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vicky M
doorstepparking, Manager at Kalispell Hilltop Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Thanks for your review and glad to know you will stay with us again. :)

Reviewed 20 August 2013

I stayed in Montana for seven days. Among all the hotels and motels, this is the best I have stayed. The room is clean and comfortable. The bed is so nice that you can have a great night sleep. Among all the six nights in Montana, this is the only place where I slept well. You might see places with lower price, but never a place with such a reasonable price still has comfortable beds and clean restrooms. I happened to have a chance to see how their staffs cleaned the rooms, and they were working very hard to make sure our stay to be pleasant. The owners, Denise and Tom, are so friendly. You can see the reviews says "the owners really went above and beyond", which is so true. They are not only running their motel like running a five-star hotel. They made me feel like coming back home. As a foreigner who loves to travel, I can feel their hospitality and conscientiousness, even from their first booking confirmation letter they sent me or the note they left when I arrived late. If you are also a foreigner in the US, here is the good news: they treat you not from your skin color, and they will be so considerate and patient with our limited language skills. Most important of all, they treat you like a friend and be there to help you out. Anyway, if I am going to the Glacier National Park one million times, I will definitely choose to stay there.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Helencake
doorstepparking, General Manager at Kalispell Hilltop Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Thanks for sharing your experience in Montana at our facility and posting a review. It was our honor to have met you and be of assistance. We appreciate you staying at our budget motor inn and hope you will visit again. - Tom & Denise

Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

the staff was extremely friendly. I enjoyed booking my room over the phone. The management seemed to take extra care in my personal well-being.we enjoyed the picnic table under the tree. Super clean and a really nice staff.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Marinza S
doorstepparking, Manager at Kalispell Hilltop Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Thanks for your review and reference to our staff, clean, booking experience, and our picnic tables. ~ Awesome!

Reviewed 16 August 2013

Kalispell Hilltop Inn
Touch our heart within
The room is so clean
Better than other places I’ve been
Customers though the owner has never seen
Treated as if they were Queen
Making them feel homecoming esteem
Arousing gentle breeze sliding by the chin

Even when we miss the flight
They comfort to rid our fright
Giving hospitality one more night
Our stranded sentiments thus untie
If traveling Going-to-the-Sun Ride
Ignoring Hilltop Inn you will cry
Spreading American concern worldwide
Kalispel Hilltop Inn is the USA pride

A visitor Darmor (Aug 15, 2013)
(darmor53@yahoo.com.tw)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Darmor C

Thanks for such a great review!

Reviewed 10 August 2013

I don't leave many reviews on TripAdvisor but this place impressed me enough to do so. Excellent service, clean rooms and super friendly staff. Rates were also very reasonable for the area. It has onsite Landry facilities which is excellent for those extended travels. Located right in Kalispell, so it's close enough to all the restaurants but not too busy either. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
doorstepparking, General Manager at Kalispell Hilltop Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

A rare occasion indeed, thanks for taking time to post a review.

Safe Travels,

Tom Lewis
General Manger

Reviewed 3 August 2013

I'm a little puzzled by the glowing reviews of this place. While the extremely reasonable price is a huge plus, it's an outdated motel, period. It's obvious the owners are trying to make the most of it, with mixed success. The room was clean and well maintained, but there were some glaring deficiencies. The air conditioner failed to keep the room cool. It could be that temps in the 90's are rare for the area, but that's exactly when you need an air conditioner that works. What made the situation worse is that the mattresses have a waterproof cover on them that made me feel like I was sleeping in a puddle of sweat. The mattress wasn't really worth protecting that much, it was adequate, but could have benefited from a nice cushy topper. That was the biggest detriment to the room.

Other odd choices--a dark shower curtain and an unlit shower stall meant showering in the dark, zero hooks or shelves in the bathroom, a huge vase of dried flowers on the teeny tiny kitchen table, and lack of a reading lamp by the only comfortable chair in the room, made me scratch my head. I could tell the owners were trying, but maybe they need to round up two friends, pack four suitcases and all sleep in the room for four some night and see how just a few changes could really improve the comfort of the room. We got four bath towels, two hand towels and two washcloths for a room that was designed for four, all crammed on one towel bar; there were only three chairs in the kitchen which meant not everyone could eat at the tiny table, and odd choices of kitchen equipment that just took up needed counter space (an empty coffee canister? a pizza cutter in a room with no stove?) just made me wonder why they didn't skip that and instead put a hair dryer in the bathroom. TV and wi-fi were good.

I neither made the reservation nor met the owners during the stay. My traveling companion made the reservation and checked us in, and reports that his interactions were pleasant, but we had trouble getting anyone to answer the phone to make the reservation. On the day of our arrival, we were ahead of schedule and I tried calling at about 1 pm to see if an early check-in was possible. No answer. We arrived about 2 pm and tried to find someone; no one in the office, no one visible around the property. We went into town for a bit and came back promptly at 3 pm, check in time. Still no one in the office, so we waited in the car until finally a housekeeper tracked down the innkeeper to check us in. While this wasn't terribly troublesome in itself, compared to all the glowing reviews about the service I read on here, I thought it deserved a mention. A final note; this property is listed as a bed and breakfast/inn on here, but you should in no way expect any breakfast or other food. It is strictly a motel. I normally wouldn't go into so much detail except it seemed like the owners were trying, but falling just short of the mark, and thought these points would help improve future guests' stays.

Room Tip: We stayed in a "pet friendly" two-room kitchenette; there was no evidence of any pets, nic...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank seiding
doorstepparking, General Manager at Kalispell Hilltop Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2013

The policy of our budget motor inn is to preview the room before you purchase. If a potential guest is not satisfied after preview they don’t stay at our facility. After purchase if a guest is not satisfied we have no problem refunding the amount. Since this did not take place we can only surmise you are happy with the budget inn accommodations. We fully understand that as a retro budget motor inn with that Route 66 feel we will not be able to accommodate everyone’s taste and that’s okay. Based on my experience when a person is not happy with a purchase they usually ask for a return of their money which is not the case here.

We also don’t decide how TripAdvisor places us on their site, which is under B&B/Inns, but can share that they do have criteria to qualify under their hotel heading. Based upon my experience and interaction with travelers this has not been an issue and they understand the heading. If the air conditioner was not working properly why was this not communicated? Since we use window units they are easy to replace, a quick trip to the local hardware store - pull non-working unit out of the window - put the new in - then presto cold air. We checked the air conditioner in the room you mention and it’s working just fine and have had very satisfied guests in the room you mention.

We choose check-inn at 3:00 pm because management works with employees in housekeeping, laundry, and even takes care of the yard in order to keep prices down. It’s referred to as hands-on management and we communicate via email, phone and in person this check-in time. If you are early we don’t stop our floor-plan of having the facility prepared for the new days arriving guests. You stayed with us and your review presents a suspiciously detailed account of our operations; that combined with our preview before you purchase policy and no communication from you of not being satisfied - I have doubts whether this is a qualified review. Could this be something else?

Best Regards,
Tom Lewis
General Manger

Reviewed 8 July 2013

You can't beat the cleanliness or the customer service at this place. Denise was absolutely amazing and went out of her way to accommodate us and our son who has allergies. I definitely recommend the hilltop inn and without a doubt will stay here again. Thank u Denise for making us feel so welcomed and for being so helpful and informative - u rock girl!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ToniandDave4
doorstepparking, General Manager at Kalispell Hilltop Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

Your quite welcome and thanks so much for your review. - Denise