“Find another hotel.”

Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Kalispell
Pitman, New Jersey
“Find another hotel.”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

My husband, daughter and I stayed in the Kalispell Holiday Inn Express from August 4th to August 9th. We had a suite with a king size bed and a pull out sofa. The room was beautiful and spacious and very clean. The staff was friendly.
Unfortunately there were some issues that can not be ignored.

There is construction work taking place all around the hotel that we had to drive through to get into the parking lot. In addition to the inconvenience, unsightliness and dust, the work being done included compaction vibrating rollers that began very early in the morning. Not only did it vibrate everything in the building (glass lampshades), but we could feel the vibration as well coming up through the floor. It seemed to affect our inner ears and even our eyes that resulted in a sick vertigo sensation. There was nothing that we could do about it of course except get out of the building. We understand that this was not the hotels fault and that they were the ones who were suffering the most because they had to put up with it the most. Cumulatively though, this was a problem and we would have chosen another hotel if we had known.

The first night we noticed a bad smell in the kitchenette area and sniffed around looking for the source. Our days were long as we tried to fit many things in and we would arrive back at the hotel room too exhausted to do anything about it. Each night we continued to smell the foul odor and it occurred to us that it must be a water tray under or behind the refrigerator. The next morning (the day before we left) I made a note to housekeeping informing them of the odor and asking them to please check the refrigerator water tray. When we returned to the room at 11:30 that night we were overwhelmed with cleaning product fumes. We had no choice but to thank them for cleaning the mess but then had to ask for another room because the fumes made the room uninhabitable. The workers at the desk were friendly, courteous and extremely efficient at getting us into another room.

The one thing that we can not excuse is that the day that the housekeeping staff cleaned up the odor was the day that my one pair of Lucky Brand bluejeans was taken from my drawer in the room. I searched all my belongings, my husbands and my daughters and when we repacked our van we searched that too. The jeans were in the drawer the morning of Thursday the 8th when I held them in my hand and chose not to wear them on the fishing boat that day thinking they might be too warm. I also remember wishing that I had not brought them because they were too bulky and my suitcase already too cumbersome. We spoke with the manager Brandon Peterson who was polite and said he would investigate the matter and call us.
I was willing to believe that somehow I must have imagined that I brought the jeans at all but of course when we returned home they were not there either. I would have liked to ignore this and not let it stain our vacation but someone went in my drawer, rooted through my things and simply took something of value that did not belong to them. It’s been a week now that I have not heard from Brandon Peterson so I called him. He said he talked to everyone, that staff has their belongings searched everyday before they leave and that the person who cleaned the room that day has been with them a long time. I told him that I would like the matter to be dealt with as a crime but he told me nothing could be done because nothing could be proved.
In summation; the hotel is beautiful but I wouldn’t even consider going until the construction is complete. The staff is friendly and accommodating but their manager Brandon Peterson is helpless if you actually need him. Most importantly there is at least one thief on staff who has access to your room and if they decide after going through your belongings to take something nothing will be done about it.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank v0nee
BrandonPeterson, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kalispell, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. I do apologize once again about the construction going on around our hotel. They are building onto the US 93 Bypass and unfortunately it is during our peak season. The construction should be done within the next few months. In regards to the pair of jeans missing, I have spoken numerous times with the housekeeper who cleaned your room and the head housekeeper about the matter. We have never had an issue with theft at this hotel, and there are various procedures in place that would make it very difficult for something to be taken out of the hotel, especially something like a pair of jeans. Employees are not allowed to bring bags into work, are required to park in specific areas not by exits, and also must clock out after each shift, which is located in our back office where they are seen by numerous other employees. With these procedures in place, and a great history of no theft, I can say with complete confidence that our housekeepers are not stealing items. I would really love to have you give us another shot, so please contact me personally if you are in this area in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Havre, Montana
Reviewed 15 August 2013

This is my 2nd stay at this Motel and was not disappointed, my room was very clean and all fixtures worked. Bed was very comfortable. Room was a king size bedroom with large sitting room. The breakfast bar was well stocked and had a good lay-out, although the 2-days that I was there the Pancake machine did not work. All of the staff that I encountered was very friendly & helpful. It is located in a new devolpment area, and for now no real close eating places? Will stay here again when in town on business.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ThomasA79
Thank you for the great review! I'm so glad you were able to take advantage of our great amenities here at the hotel! I do apologize about the pancake machine; it has been a source of trouble for us this summer as we have already gone through 3 of them. At the moment it is up and running though! Thanks again for choosing us and we look forward to impressing you next time!
Moose, Wyoming
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I recently stayed here during the Event at Rebecca Farms. I was traveling with a new puppy, and the staff were very friendly and welcoming. The room was very comfortable and clean, and there was a good "potty area" for the pup. I should have requested a room that had an outside entrance (there are a few there that do), or that was closer to the entrance, but that was my own failing. (I didn't anticipate how often the pup needed to go out that first night!). Because it is peak season in Kalispell, and I am sure due to the equestrian event, the room was rather pricey, but I was lucky to get a room at that time. Overall, I was pleased.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank WyomingLass
Thank you for the great review! I'm happy to hear you were taken care of during your stay and you enjoyed yourself. On your next trip, please don't hesitate to call and request specific room types, etc so we can get you all set up! Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you next time!
West Tisbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 August 2013

This is an excellent Holiday Inn Express. Well managed, Large, clean rooms. Excellent breakfast. Nice place for kids, who love the stuffed animals in the lobby. The only downside of the hotel is that it is sort in the middle of no-place; some distance from downtown Kalispell and the airport. Apparently they have airport pick-up but don't seem to advertise that, so you really need to have a rental car for access. Expensive for a Holiday Inn Express during the high season (summer). But oveazll, a good place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Bun45
BrandonPeterson, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kalispell, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Thank you so much for the review! We do take pride in our hotel here and am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We do have a shuttle that is available from 5am-midnight and if available, can take you wherever you'd like in town! So on your next trip just let us know and we can take you downtown or wherever you would like! Thanks again for the review and we look forward to seeing you next time!
Florida
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

Very clean, nice hotel. Great breakfast buffet and nice staff. Good location in Kalispell, located in a newer area near restaurants, Target etc which was convenient. About 30 mins from West Glacier. would stay here again. Great stay!

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us! I'm glad to hear our breakfast and staff really impressed you! Thanks again for the great review and we look forward to impressing you on your next stay!
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights while we were visiting Glacier National Park.
The hotel is in a quiet location, surrounding countryside was lovely. The room was quiet, clean and our room was near to the end exit so we were close for parking and loading our car. Staff were friendly. The complimentary breakfast was adequate, although not brilliant.
The pool was great and we enjoyed a swim. It always seemed to be empty.
The hotel was close to Famous Dave's, which we'd not seen before(coming from UK), but we ate there 2 out of 3 evenings. Food was delicious, atmosphere and ambience were great. The other evening we tried Sizzlers, and wish we hadn't!
The hotel was also close to shops. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. I'm glad to hear you got to enjoy some of our great amenities here at the hotel! The location of the hotel is also great--walking distance to many restaurants and different shopping centers! Thanks again for choosing us and we look forward to impressing you on your next stay!
Collins, Mississippi
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Stayed here for our kids & granddaughter to visit Glacier National Park. Staff is friendly, accommodating & seemed busy during our stay. The lobby was in great condition, it went downhill from there. The first floor carpet to the elevator was ragged & needed a vacuum cleaning at a minimum. It actually needs replacing due to the tears in the very center of the hall. The view from the room overlooks the mountains which is nice. The mattresses on the beds have seen their better days & one of the sheets had a stain on it like a coffee spill. The AC is loud when it is running. Bathroom lighting was very dim. We stay on the road a lot & this was not what I am accustomed to at a HI Express. Please spend some money & upgrade this facility. For the $209 per night rate & two rooms my bill was almost $900. Breakfast was the standard HI Express offering except the pancake machine was out of order. Hampton Inn in town was booked so this was our second choice.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kalispell, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Dear shesaysido,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff and lobby.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the carpet condition, mattress and the room condition. We will look into this point.I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.