“Heaven is a local call from here...”
Review of 63 Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Livingston
63 Ranch
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Heaven is a local call from here...”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

From the minute I arrived Sunday afternoon I was called by my first name. Sunday's evening meal was a buffet style that was excellent, fried chicken and the fixin's. Afterward,the staff and owners introduced themselves along with a short bio. Monday, after a great breakfast, we all gathered for a "horse how to". Jeff gave a very good talk on how to and what to expect from the horses. All the riders were matched to their horses buy the staff based on riding experience. These horses are not only very well conditioned for the mountainous terrain, but ride very nicely. They are not your nose to tail trail rides you get at the local camp ground, etc... There are 2 rides a day, the Montana scenery is post card gorgeous. The meals are family style and the food is really good. The cabins are rustic,comfortable and very clean. This was my 3rd time to the 63. What brings me back other than what I have already said? The service, hands down the best I have ever received. Jeff and Deanna will do whatever is needed to make it right. The staff is attentive to detail and has a "will do" attitude. The wranglers are super! All are capable, knowledgeable,helpful and just fun to be around. The wait staff is awsome, they met us at every meal with a smile and a genuine concern for our satisfaction. The kitchen staff prepared meals that were very good, the meat and veggies fresh. They made us a sack lunch for our day trip to Yellowstone too. The house keeping was supurb, clean rooms, nice thick towels, our own hot tea pot, (thanks, Kathy). This is where I go when I need that mental reset. If you want a vacation you will remember for all the right reasons, I highly recommend the 63 ranch.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

As a little girl,I dreamt of riding my white horse through fields of daisys,knowing no boundaries with my best friend at my side.
Two weeks ago that dream came true:-
The open space was 63 Ranch in Livingstone,Montana,my mount was a beautiful,gentle mare who went by the name of Wendy,and my best friend was my husband of 41 yrs,Roger.
Yes it has taken a long time to live the dream,but it was well worth the wait !

If you want to live the dream,63 Ranch is the place to do it.It is not just the beauty of this place that will captivate you,although that is as the Americans say 'awesome',but also the people who own and work there.
Jeff & Deanna are not just charming,perfect hosts,they also know all there is to know about their horse's,all 80+

I went to see handsome cowboys (sorry Jeff & Bob) and instead found georgeous cowgirls,Carole Ann,Sammi and Chelsey,who could grace any 'cat walk',but who have chosen
at least for the Summer months a life on 'the open range' (they also know how to sit a horse),
along with Bob,who will have you hanging on his every word as his tale's unfold,they make up the team of Wrangler's who will take care of you on your ride's.
'I can do the Polka' Klaus,is one hell of a dancer "thank you" for a great evening of Square Dancing Klaus.

But we also have to mention and thank all the staff of 63,the one's behind the scenes:-
Cara,Dorothy,Kathie,Zach,Laura,Tim and Jennifer,who take care of your comfort and provide the nourishment needed for the hours spent in the saddle.You will not always see them,but you will know that they are there.

From arrival to departure we were made to feel not only part of a team but very much part of a family.

Jeff,Deanna and the team take personal care of everyone,matching horse to rider,and what horses,besides there beauty and grace,they are perfectly schooled.

This place caters for EVERY ONE,young,and not so young,novice,and not so novice,and the expert rider.The friends we traveled with had not riden for 40 yrs,my husband underwent a total knee replacement just 15 weeks prior to our arrival,neither of these caused a problem for the experienced team at 63.
But don't imagine that this will slow the capable riders down,after a day or so you can split into groups that cater for all levels of horsemanship.

An added bonus to a Ranch holiday is that you get to meet nice,interesting people,besides the staff we had a great time with our fellow guests,some we hope to meet again.

We enjoyed ourselves so much that before leaving we re booked for next year.

Sure it is a bit of a drag traveling from England to Montana,but once there it's worth every penny and every mile !!!!

I have just read the review of some fellow guests who stayed at the Ranch the same week ,and feel that I must make some coment's:-
Breakfast was rotated with bacon and sausage,but it was also accompanied by fresh fruit,yoghurt,hash browns eggs,toast and oatmeal.The other meals we found good and the homegrown 'steak' was one of the best ever.
We stayed in one of the newer cabins,which for a Ranch holiday was very comfortable,although I understand that some of the older one's could use an upgrade,and
I think you have to accept that fly's and insect's are part of the excperiance.
The subject of camp fire's,or the lack of them although disappointing is understandable, as there is a great fear of forest firess in this part of the world
The one point I do agree on with my fellow guest is the lack of 'other activities' and I have let my views on this subject be known to Jeff & Deanna,who appreciate their guests suggestions.
We had great value for money.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Would like to preface this review saying that the staff was wonderful, the location beautiful, and the horses exceeded expectations. I have nothing but positive things to say about the friendliness and helpfulness of the wranglers (AMAZING!!!!) and dining room staff. Horses were fantastic and the views gorgeous.

I came to 63 with high expectations of the experience from seeing Tripadvisor reviews and from their website. Unfortunately, my experience did not quite meet those expectations.

Rooms: Were serviceable. We compared the cabins to 'being at camp'. Basic, functional- nothing fancy. Cleaned once a day. Moths and spiders would get in if you weren't careful about closing windows and doors. The bathroom I shared with the adjoining room (a friend) did not have a tub, but I didn't care.

Dining: The food was a disappointment (meatloaf and sloppy joes were the entree for 2 dinners), though to be fair, I heard the chef had left them unexpectedly. However, for the cost of the week, I expected better than what I received. The website says "With our 21 day menu you would have to stay for weeks to repeat meals" but the breakfast options were the same every day, with the exception of a choice of bacon or sausage.

Activities: There was square dancing with a live band for ~3 hours one night. They offered smores another night (though be warned, this is the only time you will see a campfire all week- no fires allowed.) That's about it for nighttime fun activities, other than the pool table and a 'game room' for kids. The horseshoes & volleyball courts are outdoors and could be played at night... if you have headlamps.

I went during 4th of July week and all the guests went to town for the festivities and rodeo (ranch closed down- no dinner served that day). What surprised me was the poor communication in regards to how we were to get to/from town. I was never once asked if I needed a ride (even though the ranch had picked me up from the airport- I clearly had no car), and other guests who had requested rides in advance were asked to ride with other guests with cars. I had friends with a car, but didn't like that someone had assumed we would drive ourselves. Also, other activities like fly fishing (despite a friend bringing a fly rod), hiking, etc were not actively offered, though perhaps you had to book that in advance.

HOWEVER, the horseback riding is the main attraction of course. And it definitely met expectations. We were able to pick trails for the day and beginner riders were coached on basic trotting and loping with the horses if they desired.

Other: Free Wifi is available in a small area (a slow trickle). You will probably not have any cell reception (blessing in disguise really), but if you take your phone on the trails, you can get reception when you're out of the valley.

All in all, if you meet people you like you will still enjoy your experience. You will love the horseback riding experience. Also, bring booze (it's BYOB) - it will help you make friends! Just don't expect a lot of things to do besides riding.

Advice to management- be more hands on with the guests. If you don't want to be, hire someone to do it. Communicate better with them re: feedback and activities for the week. Pay attention to the details outside of the horses - the ranch has TONS of potential. Please feed people better food. Also, be less paranoid about campfires - it will make a HUGE difference in the experience (who doesn't want to tell/hear stories by a campfire under the stars?).

Room Tip: Cabins are in different locations, with different room configurations and bed sizes, amenities and v...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank NomadTravels L
Cupertino, California
Reviewed 18 April 2013

It has almost been a year since our time at 63 Ranch. One of the pictures we took is still my main photo on my FB page. Our trip was the four of us my two sons and my husband. Some of us experienced with horses others less so, but we all had a great time. The people, the atmosphere, the food, and of course our hosts were terrific. As a horse person, I really appreciated Jeff's approach to horsemanship. The horses were in great condition and well trained. The Montana mountains were breath taking. It will go down as one of our best family trips. Thank you Jeff and Deanna!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank KMMcCulloch
Roslyn, Washington, United States
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We just returned from our 8th trip to the 63 & each year it gets better! The Rockies offer calendar-quality views on every ride. The horses are first-rate. The staff is great and welcomes guests as friends. The food is delicious with a Western heartiness. But best of all, the 63 Ranch is such tremendous fun that it lets families and friends reconnect, laugh til it hurts, and love being together. We've had no other vacation that measures up, nor visited any other dude ranch that makes us feel like we're home. The 63 is an amazing ranch experience!

Room Tip: All cabins provide excellent wildlife viewing!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Roger B
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I have just returned from a very enjoyable week at 63 Ranch! It was my first ranch holiday and I am happy to say that it exceeded my expectations. Although I am an experienced rider (English style) I have had very limited experience riding Western style, so the introductory clinic on the first morning given by Jeff, the owner, was great. No matter whether you are a total beginner or an advanced rider, he was able to explain in a friendly and clear way the natural horsemanship approach he and his wife, Deanna, take, and the way in which they like to handle and ride their horses. My horse for the week, Alibi, was exactly what I had asked for - a sensible yet sensitive horse that was experienced and would look after me on the trails. The scenery was stunning and we went on different trail rides each day. My favourite one was through the forest to a waterfall. We also had a chance to help with some cattle driving and cutting - a lot of fun! There was a great crew to look after us for the week too, and I shall now have to diet because the food was too good to resist! The accommodation is in log cabins with a central lodge for meals and it was very comfortable. The ranch is tucked into a valley and so you feel completely in another world, very peaceful and relaxing. I am hoping to make a return visit soon!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Pataskala, Ohio
Reviewed 17 August 2012

This was our first visit to a dude ranch and it was everything I had hoped it would be. The scenery was beautiful and everyone at the ranch went out of their way to make sure your trip was enjoyable. The horses were great and the instructions given by Jeff on Monday were very helpful to a non-rider like myself. A return visit to the ranch is definately on our "to do" list.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingston
Murray Hotel
#8 of 31 in Bozeman
Travelodge Livingston
Travelodge Livingston
#7 of 10 in Livingston

Been to 63 Ranch? Share your experiences!