“Best Horseback Experience...Can't Wait Til We Visit Again!”

Bear Paw Outfitters
Ranked #1 of 6 Shopping in Livingston
More attraction details
Owner description: Full Outfitting/Guide Service Yellowstone National Park, Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness, Gallatin National Forest. Trail Rides, Horseback Riding, Fishing, Hunting, Overnight Pack Trips, Big Game Wilderness Guide and Packer School, Auto Tours in Paradise Valley Livingston Montana,Vacation Rental
Reviewed 1 October 2011

We were in Yellowstone for a few days and found Bear Paw's listing via Yellowstone's website. We called early Saturday morning for a Day Ride but they were booked. Tim the owner offered us a ride on Sunday, even though they normally do not operate on Sundays. We gladly accepted and essentially had a private ride in the mountains north of Yellowstone. Time was an excellent guide, storyteller and host. Our horses were very well suited for our height and weight. Time rode "Lucy" his mule, we rode "Dan" and "Frenchie". Our ride started out at 10am and we rode along the river bed until we hit the "5 mile Pasture". There we stopped for lunch. After lunch we rode back and returned just before 4pm. This horseback experience was the highlight of our Yellowstone trip. I highly recommend Bear Paw and we cannot wait until we return with more friends next time! Thank you Tim! Adam and Joanna from Chicago.

4  Thank LoveTheWildWest

Reviewed 3 July 2011

The horses, mostly large draft horse crosses, were well cared for and polite if not enthusiastic. The ride was pretty and suitable. Our guide had all the charm of a fast-food cashier and seemed only interested in discussing the damage done by wolves in ways that seemed at best wildly exaggerated. The two large men in our party were comfortable in their saddles and on their nice, big horses and had a lovely time. However, our guide had all the charm of a fast-food cashier and seemed only interested in discussing the damage done by wolves in ways that seemed at best wildly exaggerated. She put our 5' 3" daughter who has never ridden on the largest horse in the group, one that was as large as any horse I have seen behind a plow, with improperly fitting tack, stirrups that were a good three inches too long, and virtually no instruction. When our daughter finally complained that her knees hurt, the guide asked her whether she had gone numb yet, advised her that this is a usual occurrence, and asked her if she would like to walk. When I told the guide that my stirrups were uneven, she replied without checking that they were fine. They were not fine, and neither was my saddle; it was so crooked that I could not sit up straight and so hard that it hurt. I ride four or five days a week and it has been several decades since I was uncomfortable on a horse. The ten year old girl with us who rides occasionally came home with literal blisters on her back side. I have no idea where they got their miserable tack or how they chose the horses they put us on, but if you don't weigh over 225 lbs, I would stongly recommend that you call someone else. I wish we had talked to Flying Pigs before we made our arrangements and gone with them; they were professional and enthusiastic and clearly knew what they were doing. This outfit may know, but clearly doesn't care.

7  Thank grand-girard