“An eclectic and excellent experience”
Review of Murray Hotel

Murray Hotel
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Livingston
“An eclectic and excellent experience”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

To say the Murray is eclectic is an understatement. Consider, for example, that one suite is called "Peck's Pad," after former resident and notorious Western movie director Sam Peckinpah, and still bears traces of bullet holes resulting when Peck mixed too much alcohol with gunplay. Which is not to say the Murray shows its age to disadvantage. On the contrary, many of the suites are ultra-modern in look, and every suite I've ever occupied (about 10 of them) is fresh, welcoming, spotlessly clean, and no two are alike. You'll know you're someplace special as you enter the lobby, with décor and atmospherics that take you back a century or so to the days of the grand downtown hotels whose construction followed that of the transcontinental rail lines - of which the Murray was one. Be sure to take both the elevator (staff operated and seemingly not upgraded since its original installation) and the stairs (wide, sweeping, and lined with hundreds of pictures of the Murray's past). Also allow more than one night here, so you can fully enjoy expansive, well-appointed suites kitchens, couches, and plush chairs. There's only one Murray - don't miss it!

Room Tip: If you have a choice of rooms, ask for descriptions or to see them, as all are unique.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Ogden, Utah
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This is a fantastic hotel. If you want to stay (and be amazed) at a non-cookie cutter hotel, start here. My wife, son and I stayed for one night on June 13th, this year. The Murray is easy to find... right in downtown Livingston, Montana. The hotel was built in 1904 and has been renovated. We had a small suite on the 4th floor... and other than the flat screen HDTV's (two of them) and a small fridge... all the furnishings were from 70 - 80 (or longer) ago. The folks who breathed life into this hotel are to be commended. If you get the chance, check out the Peckinpah Suite on the 3rd floor. Be advised there is a rail line running near the hotel... and the hotel has ear plugs for the noise at night (didn't bother me and the family). Staff was outstanding. Wifi is available at no cost. One small observation... the pillows are too small. Other than that, a fantastic hotel. Highly recommended... and we're coming back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JimR63
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My stay at the Murray Hotel was the best and most memorable in my memory. Beautifully preserved, the Murray beckons back to the early 1900's when it was built. You almost expect to run into Teddy Roosevelt or Woodrow Wilson because of the way it has preserved the past. The room was a beautiful suite consisting of a sitting room with microwave, coffee pot and sink, a bedroom and a bathroom. It was immaculately clean and beautifully decorated in the theme one would expect in early Montana. It's not a Four Seasons . . . but it's so much more. How could you not love this hotel? I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: There's a great bar and restaurant about 20 feet from the entrance to the Murray.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Kenora, Canada
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed one night at the Murray and fortunately had what the receptionist called her favourite room that overlooked the mountains. It was nicely appointed and spacious with all the needed amenities including a fridge. Both check in and out were quick and efficient and the staff offered advice on what to see and do and where to eat in the town. This hotel has managed to retain the ambience of a bygone era with authenticity and soul. It is located a stone's throw from several excellent eateries, bars and the shops of downtown Livingston.

Room Tip: Our room was at the end of the hall, far from the bar and we found it very quiet. That said, the tra...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Billings, Montana
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I took my wife to Livingston, Montana for her 50th birthday. She loves "haunted" hotels and historical hotels. We decided to stay at the Murray Hotel, which was abandoned when my wife went to high school in Livingston. It has now been renovated and reopened. By renovated I do not mean "made modern" but fixed up. It is still the authentic "old western" hotel in an old historic town. The room that we choose had been two separate small rooms sharing a common toilet. It was now a "queen suite" so one room had the bed and the opening into the bathroom and then the other room was a "living room" with a couch, TV and comfortable chair. We had a great time and the room was super comfortable for us. The "queen suite" was $159 per night but I did not check out the other prices for smaller rooms. We will stay there again. Just a note though, stay away from the Murray Bar, which is NOT owned by the same owners but that place certainly left a very terrible memory in our otherwise wonderful trip due to the rudeness of the bartender Mike. I reviewed the Murray Bar in a separate review.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Kamala, Thailand
Reviewed 7 May 2014

What a great little place - like something out of a John Ford movie. We had a suite with a charming little sitting room and comfy bedroom. There are some great communal sitting areas and we were sad we were only here for one night. A surprisingly good restaurant next door too. Highly recommended and I hope I can return soon.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tamvong
Seattle
Reviewed 2 May 2014

"There once was a girl who had a little curl right in the middle of her forehead
and when she was good, she was very, very good and when she was bad, she was horrid."

We got into Livingston late on a Tuesday night in April and had a wonderful dinner and the 2nd Street Bistro. We intended to stay at the Best Western before heading down to Yellowstone the next morning. At the urging of the Bistro chef, we decided to consider staying at the Murray instead.

It was quite late by this time and the night staff did not have the authority to be flexible with the room rate, which, even for the cheapest room, was significantly higher that what we would have paid at Best Western. The clerk warned us about noise from trains and bar music in this room. We asked to see the room, which I think was 209. It was on the corner, facing the train tracks and over the bar but it had two queen beds, looked clean and comfortable, and they included earplugs in the amenities. Perhaps because it was Tuesday, the bar was not particularly noisy. You could hear it, but it wasn't that loud. Despite being significantly more expensive than what would surely be an adequate and quiet room at the Best Western, we decided to fork over some extra cash to experience the charm of an old hotel. One of the deciding factors was it's proximity to a great cafe for breakfast. Breakfast wasn't included, as it would be at the Best Western, but a BW breakfast is an indifferent affair and the cafe sounded (and was) wonderful.

Going up in the old elevator was fun. Sleeping was ok. I wore the earplugs and my husband didn't. I was aware of train whistles a few times but it didn't fully wake me and was not a bother. I can sleep through almost anything but my husband, who has a harder time with sleeping well had no problems with the train or bar noise, even though he didn't wear the earplugs. He did, however, have a bad time with the light from the transom window over the door. The hall light shines through it directly at the head of the beds so this stripe of bright light is in your eyes in the otherwise dark room. I solved this by balancing on the rocking chair and stuffing a pillow over the window, which was possible because the sill surround is pretty deep.

The amenities were nice. There were chairs and luggage racks for both of us. The coffee, tea, and toiletries provided were much nicer quality than what one gets at a Best Western. They also had large ceramic cups, water and wine glasses. The bathroom was large. While they had lots of soaps and such, there were no tissues. In the morning, the shower looked very promising as a powerful stream of water came out the tub faucet. However, when you directed this mighty flow to the shower head, only a pathetic amount came out and most of the water was still gushing out from the faucet. I can understand putting in a flow eliminator but why bother if you are still going to lose the water anyway? You might as well let your guests enjoy it. Also the shower caddy kept slipping down the shower head tube so we finally removed it.

We would have spoken to the owners in the morning about the problems we had - lack of flexible pricing, light from hallway, unsatisfactory shower - but they were not available. Our conclusion is that this is not quite the premium experience one would expect when paying premium prices. Some of the problems, like the bar noise and train noise are beyond their control, but where they can control it, they should make sure that each room is as comfortable as possible and they don't seem to be doing this. It's pretty obvious they have never stayed in these bedrooms or used the bathrooms themselves.

Room Tip: Room 209 (second floor, corner) had train noise, bar noise, way too much light coming in from the ha...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank old_lady_who
murhot, Owner at Murray Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
In response to "little girl with the curl", I would like to thank you once again for taking your time to let me know of your unhappy experience. As I mentioned in the letter I wrote to your husband, the Murray Hotel is more expensive than the Best Western and it cannot and does not want to compete with the Best Western. The Murray Hotel features suites, is unique, historic and really the only hotel of its kind in Livingston. The hotel has only four rooms that are not suites. We do not advertise these rooms but offer them only to guests arriving without a reservation. That way a guest can see exactly what they are getting. And again, I apologize for the lack of Kleenex but more so for the light coming through the door transom. I should have noticed the problem and attended to it which I have since done. I was not aware, however, of the shower head situation, and will attend to that problem as well. I hope you decide to use the gift certificate I sent you for a nights stay in one of our suites. I hope to change your mind about my hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingston
Yellowstone Valley Lodge
#5 of 31 in Bozeman
The LARK Bozeman
The LARK Bozeman
#1 of 31 in Bozeman

Been to Murray Hotel? Share your experiences!