“Terrific Times - year after year after....”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Martinsdale
Bonanza Creek Guest Ranch
Reviewed 5 July 2010

My sister and I (she in Hawaii and I in Virginia) meet every two years for a vacation together. Both of us rode extensively when we were younger and love riding together still now that we are older. We first began this tradition lots of years ago and visited our first dude ranch. Over the years we went to several in Montana, Wyoming and California but Bonanza Creek is the ONLY one to which we have returned. And we have returned every vacation year for at least the past 10 years.

With a max of about 12 to 14 guests at a time, Bonanza Creek gives personal attention to everyone. From the beautifully furnished private cabins with vista views from the front porch to the selection of a horse to suit your needs and ability, Bonanza Creek is tops.

The riding is unsurpassed on sound, solid horses to suit your skill level with enough horses left over that if you aren't happy with yours, you can switch to another. My sister has her favorite and always tries to ride him but i just let June choose for me and have never been disappointed. They are alert, responsive and all they ask for at the end of a long day is to be brushed down and turned out. Unlike some places that corral all the guest horses every night until the week is up, here they get to go back out to the pastures with their buddies until the morning when they are brought in again for the day's work.

The scenery changes every day as you ride through fields, and forests and up to what seems like the top of the world or as you ride in a wagon to dinner one night in the Crazy Mountains - or even drive the team for part of the trek. Learning how to cut and pen is certainly an eye opener in terms of what cowboys have to do - its not as easy as it looks - and herding cattle, whether through open fields or through the forest is a highlight particularly when one tries to leave the parade and you chase wide around her and head her back to the herd!!

After literally hours of riding each day, there's just enough time before happy hour (BYOB) to grab something cold from your private fridge or brew a cup of coffee and relax for a bit in your cabin which is situated such that you can't really tell there are any other cabins there except yours. Each one has a spectacular view from the porch or deck. Nearly every time i've sat on "my" porch I've seen hawks soaring, and deer ambling.

The cooks are super and there is plenty of family style food served up in the dining room. I've never gone away hungry from a meal. After dinner the deck makes a great place to visit with June and David (her husband) and the other guests and talk about the day's events or learn something about the cattle business.

June and David and the wranglers, cooks and housekeepers are so gracious and such fun to be around. They all treat you as a very special guest (did I mention that you leave your cabin in the morning and come back to made up beds, cleaned cabins and fresh towels? ) while still making you feel like part of the family.

This guest ranch is for people who wish to ride and herd and laugh and make new friends. It does not offer to entertain you but instead, offers you unlimited ways to entertain yourself!

My sister and i have begun planning our 2011 vacation and guess where we are headed? Wouldn't go anywhere else.

While photos simply don't do it justice, i've attached a few.

• Stayed: July 2009
2  Thank MTL0VER

Reviewed 1 July 2010

My daughter and myself went for one lovely week to Bonanza Creek and we had an absolutely fabulous time. June and David, the owners, and ALL the staff were very friendly and helpful and the horses were responsive and fun to ride and we were asked several times if we were happy with them, which we were.
The little group we were in were also great and half of them had been many times before. We were the only English people in the group, and after a few language problems we all got on fine - ha ha !
The rides were great and we saw lots of wildlife, namely bears, eagles, deer, elk, snakes, etc. We cannot praise Bonanza Creek enough :)

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2010

Our second visit to Bonanza Creek and we cannot recommend it highly enough. The individual cabins are very comfortable and secluded, riding the range is just the best whether moving cattle or riding high up into the Castle Mountains. You can choose your pace and the scenery is indescribly beautiful. Here is no nose to tail riding. June and all her crew make the holiday special. The food is excellent and plentiful, no one goes hungry at Bonanza Creek. We love the pre-supper hors d'oeuvres where you can look back over the day with the other guests. It all adds up to a great holiday.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BathshebaWales
Reviewed 8 June 2010

As a less than novice horse rider I was at first a little hesitant to embark on this type of holiday/vacation, but with a little persistence from my (at the time) partner I nervously agreed. I had a brief crash course in equestrian persuits in my home country of England before we left 'old blighty' for the good old USA on a 10 day round trip.
On arrival to Bonanza Creek, and indeed throughout our stay we were greeted so warmly we immediately felt like part of the family and nothing was too much effort for our wonderful hosts June and David Voldseth or their fantastic team of wranglers, in particular Tanya who was an absolute delight to be around.
The whole week whilst structured was flexible and immensely enjoyable, the scenery simply breathtaking, the rides were amazing, the scent of the sage completely refreshing, the absence of daily traffic noise was inspiring, the family feel reassuring, the evening gatherings fun and relaxing, the accomodation beautifully crafted and authentic, and who can ever forget the stars of the whole experience....the horses!! Rusty was unfortunate enough to be lumbered with a clumsy oaf of an Englishman (me), and he was brilliant, he was patient, forgiving, friendly, charming, gentle, responsive and affectionate. I shared my packed lunch with him several times and felt like i really bonded with him and I know the other guests all felt the same way about their partnered horses too. Almost brought a tear to my eye when the day to go home arrived, and it seemed we had been there only one or two days.
Even now, two years later, June and David still take the time to keep in contact and I would dearly love to return one day.
This was a once in a lifetime experience for me, but I'm determined to change that, and make it twice at least.
I couldn't recommend Bonanza Creek any more highly, and if you dont have a fantastic time here, well, you must have a screw loose!!!
Before I forget, whilst you are here spend an afternoon at the Sulphur Springs pools, you wll never have had such soft and clean skin afterwards....

Craig Cousins
England

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank demontrucker
Reviewed 18 May 2010

My husband and I really enjoyed both our visits to Bonanza Creek Guest Ranch! Our 1st visit to Bonanza Creek Guest Ranch was in September 2006 and our 2nd was in September 2008. We cannot wait to go back again! I wish they would sell me a time share...I would go every year! You are treated like family from day one. June and David Voldseth, the ranch owners, are great friendly people. There are only 12 guests per week. We have met some life long friends at the ranch. The food at the ranch is all homemade country cooking and very yummy. The ranch is set amongst the Crazy's Mountain range and is just beautiful countryside. The horses are very beautiful and well behaved. June and the wranglers on staff place you with a horse that best suits your riding abilities. You ride twice a day for two hours at a time, except for one day where you pack a lunch and have an all day ride through the Crazy's. You might think.."ouch", but we were amazingly, not sore at all. They have very comfortable saddles.You even get to experience what it is like to be a real cowpoke!! This is a working ranch and on one of the days, they let you help move the cattle from one field to another next. Let me tell you that is so much fun! Another day we did Team Penning! We also enjoyed the fact that this is not just nose to tail riding. They let you ride!!! I give Bonanza Creek Guest Ranch a "10"! We are planning a trip back to the Ranch next year and cannot wait!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cindymck517
Reviewed 18 May 2010

Bonanza Creek Guest Ranch

What a wonderful and special part of the world is Bonanza Creek guest Ranch. I had a magical week there with very special people and at the helm was June and David Volseth co-ordinating their dedicated team of staff to fulfil the needs and wants of their guests in whatever they wanted and needed.

There was riding every day tailored to your own personal standards. On our first get together after arrival, before dinner, June asked us all what type of horse we wanted to ride, I wanted a horse who was steady and reliable and my wonderful steed ‘Pete’ was waiting for me the next day and what a dream he was, my ideal male partner, good looking, courteous, patient, good humoured, Oh how I wished he had two legs not four he was my dream guy! I was at the ranch with three friends, we had all saved for this adventure and we weren’t disappointed each of us matched perfectly with our horses that more than suited our ability and requirements.

Our home for the week was a perfect cabin with fantastic views, we had a lovely large bath in our bedroom sheer luxury after a long day riding and we could see out of the windows too while bathing, watching out at the beautiful scenery. We saw lots of native animals we even had the joy of seeing a bear who was nonchalantly sitting out the back of our cabin, we got lots of photos before he slowly walked back into the woods. Sitting on our veranda talking about it later just gave us that ‘extra factor’

When I filled in my application I asked for lots of fruit and vegetables not realising how isolated the ranch was from the shops and how difficult this would be and yes this request was fulfilled the food was brilliant with lots of variety, all the food was freshly cooked and there was plenty of it.

There are many more positives, too many to write about it is a wonderful place hosted and staffed by wonderful people. I am a country girl from England and look for and enjoy the beauty of our world. Bonanza Creek is one of the very special places in this world, the plains of Montana under the Big Blue Sky are just a sheer joy, especially on horseback and if you could holiday there you will not be disappointed. If I had the money I would go back for 6 months and then I may never leave!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pete5621
Reviewed 14 May 2010

What a wonderful week in the hills of Montana!
Amazing landscape and a wonderful experience. Everyone was really friendly and made every effort to ensure we had a great holiday. As a group of very mixed riding ability, the ranch were able to find a suitable horse for everyone and allow us all to make the most of the wonderful location.
Accommodation was clean and comfortable with a homely feel at the end of a long day in the saddle.
I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends

Been to Bonanza Creek Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!