“Not as bad as its detractors say.”
Review of Bel Aire Motel

Bel Aire Motel
Ranked #34 of 40 Hotels in Missoula
Reviewed 20 September 2013

This motel is actually ok, especially if you're traveling alone. There are definitely worse places in Missoula. And of the better ones, you'll pay quite a bit more than you should. This is a good compromise for a practical traveler.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 7 September 2013

Traveling with someone who goes for the cheapest deal possible (and then asks for a Senior Citizen's discount). The Bel Aire Motel is not a "deal" - not in price nor accommodations (welcome to the mid 1980s, and not in a good way).

We walked into first "Non Smoking" room - and there was no way it could be considered a non-smoking. When talking to the front desk clerk about changing rooms - I could tell she was ready to have a "fight" about something she had undoubtedly had a fight about many times before; saying something similar to; "I can't control if someone smoked in the room".

She quickly and helpfully offered to change our room. The second room smelled a little better at first, but now, as I sit here later and after returning from dinner - the smoke from another room is somehow drifting in through the in-building ventilation system - and there's no way to stop it.

Regardless of what the little sign on the door may indicate, there are NO NON-SMOKING ROOMS at the Bel Aire. There is smoke drifting in to the room right now as if the smoker was standing here next to me (those signs should be removed as they are misleading) The thought of going to the office and having a discussion about a refund and changing motels is not a good one (I can easily imagine this would be a very un-fun experience judging from the previous response), so will suffer through... will most likely wake with a severe headache and mostly unable to breathe.

As I sit here and type, a 1" long earwig (insect) crawled up my pant leg. Seriously?! Guess I'll be sleeping with earplugs in tonight!

I will remember this every time I even think of checking in to a motel of this caliber again (funky and retro on the outside, dragon's lair on the inside). This motel would be a smoker's delight - wouldn't even need to light up to receive the benefits!

Room Tip: If you don't light up, this is not the motel for you.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MSPtrailwalker
Denise B, General Manager at Bel Aire Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2013

I am sorry for the smoke experience you had. I did ask if the second room was alright and your response was "it is a slight smell of smoke but nothing we can not tolerate" I also explained I had a room on the second floor but you needed the first. The room was a non-smoking but people do smoke outside infront of the rooms. And I am very sorry that you felt afraid to come to the front desk and ask for a refund. If a guest is not happy with any of my rooms I do not have a problem refunding their money.

Reviewed 12 October 2012

We were in town for a football game and didnt feel like getting taken for $200 + dollars for the short amount of we would be spending in the room. This is an older property that has been nicely maintained on the outside but not so much on the inside. Our room did not have a tub just an old leaky shower stall. There is a musty smell through out. No heat control in the room, only an a c unit. It was a cool night but they did give us extra blankets. Our room had only some thin blinds for window coverings so we were up with the sun. Lots of foot traffic on the walk way outside our room on the 2nd floor. The staff was very nice and friendly. Will we stay here again? Probably not.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Denise B, Manager at Bel Aire Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2012

If the guest would have called the front desk they would have been informed that the ac unit was also the heat. They would have been instructed which setting was the heat. The guest did not say anything that night or the next morning

Reviewed 12 May 2012

The stay was great. I was greeted by a woman at the front desk who had too much humor in her, but was very nice. I stayed for four days and everyday my room got cleaned. There was breakfast in the lobby and fresh coffee and fresh juice. The room was clean, even though I did find some writings on the wall, but they were trivial. The best part was that they had samples. I got free Degree and Axe products and a lotion. I also got some Emergen-C packets. I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We chose this hotel because it looked so clean and well managed from the exterior. The manager berated the employee in front of me and then began to comment on her eating habits - not professional at all. We were charged $55.00 for the room (would have been a fair price if the room was clean). But this room was filthy from top to bottom and I think the cleaning staff left for sunnier coasts. The soap and hair from the last person in the room was still under the shower curtain in the bath which proved to me that the shower curtain was never moved. The walls were stained, the fixtures were laden with dirt - a truly filthy, hotel. The management of this hotel should be ashamed of themselves for charging a price of at least a regular standard budget hotel. We went to Super 8 for $5.00 more and it was immaculate. Obviously all the money was spent only on the outside. I did check for bed bugs in the mattress and tho there were none, the mattress must have been bought at the cheapest possible shipyard unloading offshore mattresses. Terrible, terrible place.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BluenoseBlonde10
Reviewed 15 July 2011

Gross room very dirty, hated it!! The bathroom had a cracked mirror and 1 tiny bar of soap was all i got. The door creaked and the bed sheets weren't changed and I swear that the white sticky substance on the wall was semen. There was paper covering up what looked like a bullet hole and the place reeked. We didn't have wifi and the pool was closed thank god it was because I learned from someone that went there before me they used the hot tub and got a yeast infection! Gross! And the breakfast was not joking a selection of 3 tiny ho ho's 3 small moon pies and some juice. Wow great breakfast, I'd recommend just getting something at the gas station. The service was horrible and they were very rude plus I don't even think they had a cleaning service the way the room looked! Don't go there ever. Even though it's cheap it is NOT worth it!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Lemon_limexx
Reviewed 31 May 2011

The location isn't bad since it's close to downtown. However it's location does not make up for the fact that this is easily in the top 5 for dirtiest/smelliest hotels I've been to. We got 2 rooms for our group. One room smelled like an ashtray and the other was dirty. The wall of our room had multiple mismatched painted patches and mystery stains on the wall. Under the painting was graffiti. The guys in the smokey room didn't last 10 minutes and walked to the Holiday Inn for a room.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends