“Best Value....for the money”
Review of Thunderbird Motel

Thunderbird Motel
Ranked #27 of 39 Hotels in Missoula
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
“Best Value....for the money”
Reviewed 31 March 2011

It's dated, it has some settling, the occasional train at night doesn't even wake me anymore.
It's clean, has larger T.V.s good coffee in the morning, pleasant , accommodating staff. Pool and hot tub are clean. Beds are a dream, (owner pays for extra quality). Good rates (when there is no home football game) I stay there 10+ times a year. If you want all of the "amenities" that you get for $200. a night then there are at least 10 of those to choose from elsewhere in town.

Room Tip: If what u want is avail. It's yours-just ask!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Imbeat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed 10 March 2010

We needed an inexpensive place to stay for literally 8 hours over night, just to recharge our batteries. At $57.78 including tax this was the cheapest we found. The hotel looks like the type of seedy place people would do drug deals or bring their "date" for the night. Besides the shower, the room was clean. It was quite large, which was nice. The shower was very dirty, and if I hadn't been without a shower for 2 days I would not have even ventured in. The walls were all grimy and dirty and there was finger nail polish on the walls and the back side of the wall was all dented in.

Oh well, at least we didn't have to sleep in the truck...I guess.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bobbie B
missoula
Reviewed 15 January 2010

My family and I were traveling through Missoula and were wanting to stop for a bit. As with economy everywhere, ours funds were limited but we wanted a nice place to go. We were referred to the Thunderbird Motel because they were very resonable and accomodating. The staff was wonderful and friendly. They told us of many things we could do while we were there. The owner sat with my husband and I personally for coffee and conversation. How many places do that anymore? I would tell anyone travelling through Missoula to definetely give the Thunderbird a shot. WELL worth it!!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank mnr24
lovedog26
Reviewed 10 May 2009

I have stayed here 3 times in the past with my family. They accept dogs happily but this last time, we were dog-less. This is always extremely clean, roomy, and inexpensive. We paid $54 with a AAA discount and got a huge room with big bathroom, fridge and microwave. My friend who I was traveling with also found out that her dad used to stay here whenever he would pass through Missoula. We were very happy with our stay and highly recommend this excellent value.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
Vestal, New York
Reviewed 17 September 2008

I stayed here one night and thought it was a good value for the money. However, AAA has it rated as a 3 star property and I disagree; the continental breakfast was not up to snuff and there didn't appear to be any business area. There are no grounds to speak of or anywhere to sit outside and relax - just the concrete parking lot. The room was slightly dated but clean. The hot tab and pool were nice features. This property is located across the river from the university, next to an Albertson's and a short drive from the central downtown area.

• Liked — good location
  • Disliked — lack of grounds/place to sit outside and relax
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 4 August 2008

While on the outside, this hotel looks like something from the 50's, I didn't notice anything that was old or worn out. We arrived around midnight, but had no trouble checking in. We had a nice big room and we got a good night's rest. Breakfast in the morning was just coffee and doughnuts, but there was a grocery store right next door, so we were able to get some milk and fruit go with it. The fruit we got was really good; we wondered if it came from some of the orchards north of Missoula. We did not have time to try out the pool, but it looked nice and we were sorry to miss it. I got a better price at this hotel than at the national chains, but I think the room was at least as nice. I booked this motel based on other reviews on TripAdvisor and the information from those reviews proved reliable.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Skimpy breakfast
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed 24 June 2008

I have stayed here in the past. The last time, a few years back, the Thunderbird was starting to show its age. I was traveling with a pet and made the mistake of looking for a room at the last minute. There was a large convention in town and rooms were scarce so I took ahot and gave the Thunderbird one last try. I was very happy. The room had recently been remodeled with new wallpaper, tile, carpet and a recliner. The rooms are slightly smaller than average but the price tag is 1/3 - 1/2 that of other hotels in Missoula.

The motel is very close to the U, downtown and the riverfront. There are a lot of great restaurant easily within walking distance and a 24 hour supermarket next door.

My only word or warning; the Thunderbird is near the train tracks and 2 trains go by after dark but I only was stirred by the whistle. Lite sleepers could have a few minutes of trouble.

I will be back.

General lodgeing tip- As someone that is in Missoula every few months I can tell you that finding a budget hotel on Broadway in Missoula is tough. Don't bother with any of them West of Rattlesnake creek. You'll regret it.

• Liked — Value
  • Disliked — The train.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple