“Old, but a nice stay in Missoula”
Review of Thunderbird Motel

Thunderbird Motel
Ranked #26 of 40 Hotels in Missoula
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Sure, it's an older property - but the rooms have been kept clean and are roomy. Ours came with a refrigerator and microwave. The WiFi worked well (we were about halfway down the building).
I didn't like the cramped parking lot in front, but we parked our car in the back lot and that had plenty of room.There's a hallway through the building so it's not out of your way.
There is a pool and spa available - spa is plenty hot and the pool is large (but not deep). Sun deck behind the pool.
Breakfast is the usual sugar and carbs - but when they ran out of bagels, my wife got a Twinkie!
Just a short walk to campus or the historic downtown. We love the Missoula Club for their burgers and always stop at Liquid Planet for coffee before leaving town. Both are close by in the historic area. Albertson's is next door. This is my third stop here, so it can't be too bad, eh?

Room Tip: If you choose a second floor, there is no elevator and you must carry your stuff up an outside stair...
2  Thank Andy W

Reviewed 26 July 2012

We really liked this motel. The staff were friendly, and the wifi was excellent. I am giving it 3 stars simply because it is a bit older and needs a bit more TLC to upgrade carpets, soft beds and furnishings. It is quiet, there is surprisingly good pool, a sun deck and a small weights room. It is excellent value for Missoula, and I would recommend it with the caveats above.

1  Thank James E
Reviewed 18 July 2012

O.K. for an overnight stay. Reasonable rate. Didn't try the poole, but acquintances ot was great.

2  Thank BuggsScruggs
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I was passing through with my sister and a friend, wanted to stay In Missoula and decided to try the Thunder Bird. Very nice welcome - clean room and plenty of room for the three of us. A bonus was the pool. Breakfast isn't much (we skipped it and went on down the road for a full meal), but there's a Liquid Planet coffee shop just a couple of blocks down. Very close to campus (walking distance) and the owner was very proud of her seats on the 50 yard line!

I'll stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Andy W
Reviewed 2 June 2011

I typically a hotel snob and perfer chains, so when my husband suggested the Thunderbird, I was a little leary. when checking in, the staff was very friendly. It appears to be family run. We were gven a discount because there were no 1 bed non-smoking rooms. The room we had was very spacious - 2 beds, a table & chairs, big TV and Fridge. The Sink was right next to the bed, which was odd but it worked.
My only complaint is that the shower head was very short. I hd to duck to get my head under it.
I loved the location. We were able to walk to the Adams Center and see a concert. Loved avoiding that traffic! Albertsons is right next door and there are food joints and casinos nearby.
Would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank passaskat
Reviewed 16 April 2011

I was traveling through the Missoula area and had to get a room when the passes closed due to bad winter weather. I spent three nights at the Thunderbird. It's clean, quiet, and the staff is friendly. I wanted to take the bed home with me it was so comfortable. I'd stay at the Thunderbird again anytime.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank forensicanthro10
Reviewed 31 March 2011

It's dated, it has some settling, the occasional train at night doesn't even wake me anymore.
It's clean, has larger T.V.s good coffee in the morning, pleasant , accommodating staff. Pool and hot tub are clean. Beds are a dream, (owner pays for extra quality). Good rates (when there is no home football game) I stay there 10+ times a year. If you want all of the "amenities" that you get for $200. a night then there are at least 10 of those to choose from elsewhere in town.

Room Tip: If what u want is avail. It's yours-just ask!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business