“Don't complain to them...they will just scold you for not complaining in the proper way.”
Review of Thunderbird Motel

Thunderbird Motel
Ranked #27 of 40 Hotels in Missoula
Reviewed 28 May 2013 via mobile

I checked in to the Thunderbird after a 14 hour drive. The attendent gave me a king pillow top bed. I went to the room and got ready to sleep, when I noticed 2 room keys on the table ( mine was in my pocket ) I thought it was odd but in my sleepy stuper I rationalized it was a pool key. I went to sleep for the night. Bed was great. When I woke up refreshed the next day, I started to realize how unclean the room was. I found a weird amount of black hair in the tub, coffee stains ( like someone had poured out thier coffee) in the sink, garbage in the trash cans and a used shower cap on the back of the door! This room had not been cleaned from the last guest who stayed there YUCK! I was appauled...I have never been so dicusted! I packed my bag and headed to the office. I told them what happened and the lady looked at me and stated as if I were a child..."you should have complained last night other is nothing I can do for you now. I told her that I I wasn't necessarily looking for compensation just thought she should know...she again told me there wasn't one thing she could do because I didn't give my complaint in time. PLEASE ...I know credit cad machines can give credits...with out a daught the sickest worst experience in a hotel ever! Don't stay here!

• Stayed: May 2013
5  Thank wekar3

Reviewed 9 March 2013

Delightful Missoula motel goes above and beyond. The sense of feeling welcome and being comfortable means I'll come back time and time again. This is my first review ever. It's worth sharing, as the cost/benefit favors the customer in a big way. The Thunderbird is a motel of excellence. Lofty words; well deserved.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Rich W
Reviewed 23 January 2013

This was a great place to stay with our two kids, ages 5 and 4! Very good breakfast each morning, friendly and knowledgeable staff. Close to downtown Missoula and right next door to a grocery store which was also very convenient! Great place to stay!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank julieh305
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Boyfriend and I stayed at the Thunderbird in June, as we were in town for a Primus concert (PRIMUS!!!). We were looking for a cheap, cheap stay somewhere, as we had thrown our trip together last minute and didn't have much cash for spending this time around. We stopped into the Thunderbird to find that it did have rooms available, and the cheapest rate we had found so far. Given that fact, we did not expect much from the hotel. We were surprised to find that our room was quite nice-- no fancy extras, but it was very well-kept and had a fridge and microwave at no extra cost. The pool on site was a good size, with a hot tub, and small fitness room also available. We were right next to a grocery store; perfect for a quick munchies run after the show. The best part of our trip was running into the site's maintenance man... we ended up talking to him for almost an hour about all sorts of things, from local restaurant recommendations to the history of the hotel. He was a lot of fun to chat with and made our experience much more memorable. Overall, this is not a 5-star place to stay, but for the price you get a great value and very friendly service.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Travel0dge-GM
Reviewed 3 December 2012

I stayed 10 days at the Thunderbird in November -- my first impression was that the room stinks and is run down. Pretty much my final impression was that the room stinks and is run down. Bedding and towels were clean. Nice inclusion is the fridge and microwave. Breakfast is minimal but OK. I did like the view down the strip from the room (2nd floor), and the Thunderbird sign is great. The hotel is close to the rail tracks so the (considerable) noise from the coal trains around 1-3 am (whistle blasts, shunting, etc) is loud. Not the hotel's fault, but can ruin your sleep. I don't think I will stay there again.

Room Tip: 2nd floor away from the street may be quieter
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank zorro-plata
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Sure, it's an older property - but the rooms have been kept clean and are roomy. Ours came with a refrigerator and microwave. The WiFi worked well (we were about halfway down the building).
I didn't like the cramped parking lot in front, but we parked our car in the back lot and that had plenty of room.There's a hallway through the building so it's not out of your way.
There is a pool and spa available - spa is plenty hot and the pool is large (but not deep). Sun deck behind the pool.
Breakfast is the usual sugar and carbs - but when they ran out of bagels, my wife got a Twinkie!
Just a short walk to campus or the historic downtown. We love the Missoula Club for their burgers and always stop at Liquid Planet for coffee before leaving town. Both are close by in the historic area. Albertson's is next door. This is my third stop here, so it can't be too bad, eh?

Room Tip: If you choose a second floor, there is no elevator and you must carry your stuff up an outside stair...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Andy W
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We really liked this motel. The staff were friendly, and the wifi was excellent. I am giving it 3 stars simply because it is a bit older and needs a bit more TLC to upgrade carpets, soft beds and furnishings. It is quiet, there is surprisingly good pool, a sun deck and a small weights room. It is excellent value for Missoula, and I would recommend it with the caveats above.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple