“Exceeded all expectations for our Honeymoon...”

Blue Mountain Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 12 Missoula B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Fort Scott, Kansas
“Exceeded all expectations for our Honeymoon...”
Reviewed 14 October 2007

During our honeymoon in northwest Montana, my wife and I had the pleasure of staying three nights at the Blue Mountain B&B just outside Missoula. It was much better than advertised. The scenery was magnificent. Adjoining the primary home were a series of decks and gazebos that fit naturally into the backdrop of a waterfall. We were delighted to find that Blue Mountain is designated as a National Wildlife Sanctuary and took immense pleasure in watching the myriad hummingbirds, nuthatches, grosbeaks, and finches that were regular visitors to any of the several feeders. Brady and Elaine were courteous and gracious hosts who had that rare balance of friendly but unobtrusive hospitality. The food absolutely blew away any pre-conceived notions of the heavy and unimaginative repast we might have accepted. A souffle with green onion and bacon, a puff pancake with seasonal huckleberrys, and locally made sausage of chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, and gouda were on the menu. Our room was quiet, romantic, and the hot tub was the perfect end to a crisp evening spent on the deck testing out locally brewed beers and sipping red wine. Given the rather modest expectation we had before arrival and considering the reasonable price, we simply cannot overstate our satisfaction with our experience at Blue Mountain. Kudos to Brady and Elaine for delivering that seldom stumbled upon delight when expectations of the romantic imagination are far exceeded.

Stayed August 2007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Pocatello, Idaho
Reviewed 2 October 2007

Occasionally you find such a wonderful accommodation that the rating system seems far too limited. Blue Mountain B&B is just such a place. We were impressed with all aspects of our stay and will certainly stay there on out next visit.

We were able to stay six nights and Brady was able to make each gourmet breakfast a real experience in fine dining. He is indeed a wonderful chef and host.

The home and "guest house" where we stayed is lovely, each room is well appointed. Our room included books of the old west, comfortable leather chairs and a great log bed. We enjoyed a great view of the mountains each morning while enjoying our first cups of coffee. Brady and his wife have taken special care to plant flowers on the grounds as well as in pots on the expansive decks where we enjoyed his magnificent breakfasts. From the deck we could take in the mountains, watch the playful chipmunks, bird watch, and sit in awe of the numerous hummingbirds that are fed by Brady.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
staciefm
Reviewed 6 September 2007

We were only able to stay at this B&B one night, but wished we had set aside time to stay longer! The view was fantastic, the owners were friendly and accomodating, the food was wonderful, and the rooms were exceptional! We will definately stay here again when we return for a longer stay in this part of Montana.

Stayed September 2007
Seattle,WA
Reviewed 5 September 2007

Being from Montana and hearing all my life growing up that I was from a slice of heaven, I never believed it till I stayed here! If there were a rating beyond 5/Excellent, I would choose it to describe this lovely treasure!
Needing a reservation for the beginning of Labor day weekend, I knew I might be in for a tough time. I stumbled upon this B&B on the web, through the Montana B&B website.
I studied the B&B's own website thoroughly, and was able to find the rates, the days available, the details that I needed, and much more! I emailed them directly and was responded to in a very timely manner! Even over email, I knew that we were dealing with a class act!
Along with my husband, who was celebrating a birthday over the weekend, we were planning to set out on a roadtrip from Seattle, looping through Missoula, then on to more "never-seen-or-stopped-at" destinations! If we would've been smarter, and had they not been booked, we should've just planted ourselves here and never left!
I can't say enough how accommodating Brady and Elaine were with our every need! We needed a late late "past all's bedtime" check-in; Brady was there by the phone to guide us, and to warmly greet us as we, as silent as we could, drove up the awesome driveway to his welcoming smile! Even with the late arrival, he graciously showed us around the different buildings, let me pick out a "wind-down" dvd out of his amazing collection, and made us feel at ease and comfortable before turning in for the night!
We were lucky enough to have booked the Rose Room, which I am only going to say "oh my goodness" to! Amazing everything: the Bed, I wanted to fold up and take with me. The Tub: wished I would've brought a larger suitcase. The decor: very elegant and classy yet comforting! The land and buildings: very well designed and put together. The View: amazing even through this year's fires' smoke. The Food: the best breakfasts I've ever eaten! Seriously! The conversation: friendly and informational!
Brady guided us on things to do, happenings around town, places to shop, must-eateries to slam down a great steak! The A.C. :what a welcoming ammenity! My husband and I went around town our entire stay, verbally advertising for this hidden treasure! Even if I lived in Missoula permently, I would make it a must stay now and again! Didn't want to leave!

• Liked — The room, the bed, the jet-tub, cleanliness, friendly, accommodating hosts
  • Disliked — nothing to list here!
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 6 August 2007

We had hardly shut off our car in the drive, when the owner was standing outside with a huge smile and a warm welcome. He ushered us inside with pleasant inquiries about the drive, the weather, our trip in general. He gave us wonderful recommendations for a dinner restaurant, showing us the menus for places in a variety of tastes & price ranges. A very friendly and knowledgeable host!
He showed us to our rooms, my husband & I to the Syringa Suite, and our friend into the Rose Room. The Syringa Suite was even better than it was described. There was A/C, which is a miracle in Montana, I think. It was blissfully cool compared to the other places we'd stayed. The bathroom (always my biggest criteria) was great in black marble with a gigantic whirpool tub that was plenty big enough for two to comfortably soak in. The bed was quite comfortable. Breakfast the following morning was scrumptious. We had a great soufle, a side of tender, tasty ham, a fresh fruit smoothie that I resisted the urge to ask for seconds of, home made sticky buns in a couple of different flavors, and fresh juices in a few different flavors.
The real treat, however, was the great host. He even saved us from a bee that kept buzzing around by trapping it and taking it away - didn't even squash it in front of us, which would have ruined my breakfast. We had breakfast outside on the patio, with the koi pond and the little waterfall making a lovely background.
I would definately stay at this place again.

• Liked — The friendly host, great breakfast, and good views.
  • Disliked — There was a tiny issue with the tub, but he took care of it, and then gave us a big discount for the night.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
New Orleans
Reviewed 29 July 2007

We (along with three other fly-fishing couples) just spent five nights at this charming B&B on Blue Mountain overlooking Missoula and the Bitterroot River. About a 20-minute drive from
downtown Missoula, the B&B is convenient to the fly shops, restaurants and other places of interest in Missoula. Breakfasts are elegantly prepared and served - and, by request, at
fishermen's hours! Brady and Elaine are delightful hosts, and were most gracious about accommodating special needs.
The rooms, each with a different theme, are comfortable, have pleasant views, and two have their own decks. We were there in a record-breaking heat wave, and the a/c units in each room
were essential. The public spaces are not air conditioned.
We gathered on the deck of the main building (there are two buildings, each with two bedrooms plus ample public space) where we had cocktails (BYOL), admired the view, and could visit the kitchen to see what Brady was preparing for dinner. By pre-arrangement, he will cook dinner for four or more guests. We had dinner on four of the nights we were there, and each meal was outstanding - from Montana steaks to a Moroccan feast. Brady is a naturally-talented chef, loves to cook, and Elaine is a charming co-hostess. Dinners were served in the lush patio near a waterfall and koi pond.
The Blue Mountain B&B is newly built so it is not an old house reconfigured as an inn. The log buildings are handsome, and the gardens are lovely. Some rooms have fascinating memorabilia inherited from Elaine’s Swedish ancestors who came west in the 19th century.
For a family gathering, a romantic get-away, or folks who want to fish the great rivers near Missoula the Blue Mountain B&B is an excellent choice.

• Liked — The food and views.
  • Disliked — Lack of a/c in public rooms.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 3 July 2007

I found the Blue Mountain Inn on the Internet after a general search of B & Bs in Missoula. I was very impressed with the website and the rooms. I called immediately for a reservation that upcoming Memorial Day '07 weekend. The innkeeper was very polite on the telephone as we discussed the reservation and even suggested some nice dinner locations in Missoula.

We found the directions to the inn, through the website, to be very easy, and the drive up the winding hillside was fun because we didn't know what to expect. We were greeted with a gate that opened with the push of a button.

The inn is situated facing towards the highway, away from our immediate view, so when we walked up to the main house we had the chance to see the wrap-around porch, some of the birds at the feeders, and the landscape. It was inviting.

Check-in was easy and we placed a pin on the large indoor map of where we hailed from. There were pins all over the world! I was impressed that the innkeeper kept in mind to ask if we had any aversions to any breakfast foods.

We entered our quaint room and were impressed at all the original decorations on the walls and around the room, most of which was from their family. I thought that this personal touch was very special. The room was absolutely clean and definetely homey and inviting.

The jacuzzi tub in the bathroom was AWESOME and the large lodgepole pine bed was the most comfortable. It was like laying on a cloud. We had the option of playing a movie (from the large in-house collection) on our room TV or going upstairs to the rec room to watch on the projector screen. That is, if we weren't playing pool, a game, reading a book, chatting, or watching the birds!

The innkeeper and his wife are very polite and are enjoyable to talk to. They know the area and can direct you anywhere. I was impressed that part of the proceeds from the B & B go to various MT charities. They love the outdoors and support the wildlife that surround their beautiful home. There are lots of things to do outside, too. There are 2 wildlife refuges close, hiking, biking, hanging out in the city of Missoula, Lolo, Florence, water--it's awesome. And the innkeeper will tell you everything you need to know.

The inn doesn't have a yard for playing, if you have kids, but we don't so that wasn't a problem. We are just a pretty easy going couple that enjoys the outdoors and experiencing all we can. The only thing I can say that might hinder some travelers is there is some car noise from the highway, but honestly, we couldn't hear it from our room. My partner was elated in the early morning to find that the innkeeper had brewed a pot of coffee BEFORE we woke up and had it waiting nice and hot. Breakfast was very custom, fresh, and hot and sooo delicious. If you can swing a more than just 1 day, do it.

I don't have any pictures to post here because I was busy watching all the hummingbirds! But, the online pictures are accurate. We found that the price was extremely reasonable, $125 per night for our room, and it was worth it! We are MT locals and pretty easy going, but we absolutely loved our stay and will return for great getaway.

Stayed May 2007