“Dirty...”

Motel 6 Missoula - University
Ranked #29 of 40 Hotels in Missoula
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I've stayed at several Motel 6's in years passed. Most all have been good experiences for what you pay. All have been clean but simple.
Motel 6 -University in Missoula was a poor exception! First thing, the clerk "upgraded" us to a "suite" in another building because they were having plumbing issues in the main building. This "suite" was awful. It was dirty...the floor, behind the beds, the cover bedding, etc. The toilet seat was actually broken, so it pinched as you sat. The shower/tub floor was stained brown...disgusting. The beds were so low grade that they had edges around them and you sunk into the middle.
I can say that I will not likely be a Motel 6 customer in the future, not wanting to take the chance of getting accommodations such again. I know they are not "the Hilton", nor did I expect that. But I do expect a clean and unbroken facility.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Booked a room through hotels.com at guest inn and suites and got SCREWED! Motel 6 had no vacancies, but the staff was amazing!! Helped us get a refund for the room we paid for at guest inn and then gave us a roll away bed to stay with family. We thought we were sleeping in the truck.... Thank you Joseph and staff. Awesome customer service! Definitely recommend for value travelers looking for great place to stay!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2013

For a one night pas-through town stay, this was a good choice.
The staff was extremely helpful and courteous.
Wifi is included and coffee in the morning
The hotel is pet friendly. ( we had 1 dog and there where other dogs on the property)
The rooms are updated and have a "wooden" floor, no carpet, very clean.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This Motel 6 is not bad overall, but had 2 serious strikes against it, in my opinion. 10:00 am check out time is not realistic for many travelers and the worst part of that was the manager walking through the property banging on doors to roust everyone out at 10am on the dot. Please!! we are not all college students in a regimented dorm, we are paying customers who need to rest and refresh before continuing our travels.
Unfortunately we didn't rest very well either as the air conditioning unit in our room did not effectively cool the room at all, because it is located in some sort of closet type room adjacent to the bathroom, so the air could not circulate. Our room stayed so warm (over 80F after we'd traveled all day in 90+ temps) all night that sleep was next to impossible. The front desk expressed no concern over our polite complaint though.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
13  Thank northsouthq
Reviewed 21 July 2013

DO NOT STAY HERE.
We made an online reservation and found out when we arrived, at 1:30 and couldn't check in until 3pm, that our room was on the 2nd floor, and in order to stay on the first floor we would be charged $6.00 more! AND, the manager insisted we had requested a 2nd floor room. Not true. I don't do stairs well after surgeries.
After looking at the 2nd floor balcony, it is obvious our 11 lb Doxy could have fit right under the railing, splat to the parking lot below.
Matters got worse when we prepared to go to bed. Our sheets were obviously full bed size while the beds were queen. the corners wouldn't even fit over the top of the mattress, much less down the sides. We were told the new queen mattresses were too large for the old Q sized sheets. If these lumpy saggy mattresses are new, I'm a dance hall girl. NOT.
ANOTHER FIRST: check out is 10:00 am...
We've been on the road for 6 weeks and have stayed in the Motel 6 chain 90% of that time;. This one is the worst of all.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Robyn F
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Missoula - University, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Dear Robyn F - We apologize for the unsatisfactory service you received during your recent stay; thank you for taking the time to write your review. We take your feedback very seriously and will take it into account as we work to improve our guests’ experience with us. Please consider contacting our guest relations department to report your experience so we can serve you better in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night on a two-week motorcycle trip. The pictures of the hotel on their website looked inviting and it looked new and fresh. How deceiving!

The person at the front desk for check-in was crabby and curt. I found out later that she had charged me the current rate on the computer instead of the lower rate that I had booked.

There is no free breakfast at this hotel - coffee and hot water only. (That explains why she told me about good breakfasts "in the area.") The hotel website clearly says "coin laundry" and I booked this hotel specifically for that reason -- I was told that there is no guest laundry and that there never has been. Checkout time is 10:00 am, which is earlier than most hotels.

The room did not look as new and inviting as the pictures on the website. It was also missing items. There was no Kleenex, no shampoo, no alarm clock, no hair dryer, no bath mat, no iron/ironing board (and no breakfast).

When I returned to the front desk, I was told that they don't provide shampoo because people just throw the packets away. They only give them to people who ask for them. I also had to return for a hair dryer, and had to check out an alarm clock (yes, you must check it out and return it in the morning) - there was no phone in the room for a wakeup call.

The room had a very cold and empty feel -- the new décor was cheap, and the floor felt like walking on cardboard. There was no heavy blanket on the bed, so we were cold during the night. One the plus side, the sheets were clean, but the pillows were very thin and too soft and not comfortable.

A sign posted in the room sums it all up: "As an independent Motel 6 Franchise, we are limited as to the amenities we are allowed to place in our rooms." The sign seems to contradict itself -- you are independent, so CAN'T provide things?

If you need a place to stay inside, away from the elements and don't have time to look for a decent place, then this is okay for that. Just don't expect to have anything provided, and expect an "attitude" at the front desk. I will add, though, that the man at checkout was very nice, even though I had to have him adjust my rate since I had been overcharged at checking.

There are many hotels in Missoula, and I would suggest looking at any of them before booking here. There are just so many other choices. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Minneapolis_MNLegs
Reviewed 3 June 2013

My husband and I recently relocated from Memphis, TN, to Seattle, WA, which required us to drive across the country with two dogs and a cat. We planned ahead and made reservations at Motel 6 properties in three different cities. We were leery of using Motel 6, but did so because of the generous pet policy.

We arrived in Missoula at around 8:00 pm after driving twelve hours. Everything was fine at check-in -- they even charged my credit card -- until we told them our pet menagerie included a cat. The desk clerk immediately said, "We don't take cats, I'll have to cancel your reservation."

That was it as far as she was concerned -- it was no longer her problem. She couldn't have been more unsympathetic. We explained that we would only be there overnight, the cat was in a carrier (and sedated), we had driven twelve hours, etc. At our insistence, she called the owner, but said, "There's another check-in with a cat, do we cancel them, too?" She did nothing to advocate for our difficult position.

She identified other hotels that allowed pets and called a few of them (after we asked her to -- again, she did nothing proactive to try to make things better for us), but there was a Jehovah's Witness conference in town and no rooms were available, even in the outlying towns. (In fact, when my husband and I stepped outside to try to come up with a compromise -- he thought about sleeping in the car with the cat -- she gave our room to another couple that had walked in behind us.)

We ended up having to drive another three hours to Spokane.

The other Motel 6 properties that we stayed in -- including Kansas City, Rapid City SD, and Spokane -- were very welcoming of ALL of our pets. Other hoteliers that we talked to in Missoula said that they would happily take our reservation if they weren't full. This terrible service failure wasn't about policies -- it was about people (the owner and desk clerk) who don't need to be in the hospitality industry.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family