“Avoid this particular Motel 6!”

Motel 6 Missoula - University
Ranked #25 of 39 Hotels in Missoula
Sandpoint, Idaho
“Avoid this particular Motel 6!”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I have stayed in some nice Motel 6 hotels before. Trust me, this is NOT one of them! I chose the location for it's proximity to downtown. With the exception of the friendly young woman who checked me in and the inexpensive rate, everything about this hotel was awful. The rooms have been redone to reflect a Modern style, but in this case Modern translates to minimal /dim lighting (good luck trying to read at night), bare floors which necessitate turning the very noisy heating unit way up ( in winter that means you need to wear layers and socks to bed, not at all typical for me; at home we prefer our bedroom to be very cold at night, but we do have carpeting). The towels were so thin they were almost see-through. It had a small modern sink with granite countertop and it looked so out of place in this room, especially with the old loud heating unit with the big cord hanging next to it. Last but not least: the platform bed that had a huge sagging dip in it. When I finally did get to sleep I awoke with a terrible backache. Bottom line: money saved for little value, not worth it to me.

Room Tip: Next time I go to Missoula I will priceline a room for better hotel
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Italianatheart2010
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Missoula - University, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Italianatheart2010,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Grab a refreshment...this review is like a chapter in a book...or maybe horror story. The room was large. I never thought I would ever be able to say that about a Motel 6! It was adequately furnished as far as a Motel 6 can be expected, and it was clean and appeared to be in pretty good repair. The a/c unit was a little on the noisy side, but it did its job, and the toilet seemed a little old and funky...however we had some other major issues that make me very sad to have to report.

First of all, we were overcharged for our room by $30+ dollars and our credit card was already run when we checked in (we had an advance reservation) and our arrival time was not excessively late. I whipped out my copy of the online reservation confirmation, and with the manager's approval that was resolved quickly and pleasantly. (The motel was totally booked that evening, so I wonder if that is why they had already ran the card?)

The next problem came after we were given our room key and needed to park our car. There were no parking spots left, as the nearby university was having their first football game of the season and the motel was selling their parking spots for $20 per vehicle. We were given a paper to put on our dash so we didn't have to 'pay,' but imagine our dismay when they "created" a parking spot for us and when we squeezed our small Honda CRV into the 'spot,' we could not open the passenger door as there was no space, and my husband had to literally squeeze his body out to get out of the car! We were horrified...we were uneasy, constantly looking out the window at our car (thank God we could see the car from the room) as wondered what would happen when the person(s) we were squeezed between would show up to leave, and if their frustrations would be taken out on our car! Thankfully, since we were keeping an eagle eye out (real relaxing, huh, after driving 8 hours!), another guest left and their parking spot which was RIGHT IN FRONT OF OUR ROOM opened up and we immediately moved our car!

Then the next problem was we were starving and refused to drive anywhere to eat as didn't want to lose our parking spot, so we walked across the street to gourmet Taco Bell.

Okay, we got past those hurdles and after 10 p.m. I took my shower and the water was barely warm...and as I showered the water grew colder and colder...it was almost surreal at the end of the shower to realize that I had just taken a blatant cold shower! What an awful way to end the 'lovely' evening. We reported the lack of hot water to the office and were told they would look into it and get back to us, as my husband was very concerned because he showers in the mornings. After no response (after 11 p.m. now), we contacted the office again and were astounded when we were told in a very matter-of-fact way that that building had been having hot water issues and they would not be resolved before morning. What a good nights' sleep that WASN'T, knowing my husband had to face a cold shower in the morning. Upon check out we asked for a discount on our room and were offered $10 off, which we told them that was not acceptable.

Wen our charge card statement came we found that they did not go ahead an give us the $10, or anything, off on the room charge. We contacted Motel 6 headquarters and were told that they have just a few Motel 6 facilities that are independently run, and this happens to be one of them, so they could not help me...we would need to work directly with the motel. I then contacted Chase Bank who had great customer service. I sent a certified letter to Motel 6 with a return receipt. The receipt came back signed, but no response ever came. In the letter I asked them to respond within a reasonable (X) number days. The next step was a three-way call with myself and Chase Bank, talking to the motel manager (same name as who signed the certified mail receipt). He said he was a new employee and he apologized profusely and agreed that they had failed to keep their end of what is expected between a motel and a guest. He couldn't have been nicer and sounded very sincere. He did give a good discount on the bill. I did expect to pay something as we did use the room, meaning we used their linens and electricity, etc. In the end, I am satisfied with the end result...but the way I had to go to get there was certainly not satisfactory. Also, they need to stop taking reservations for rooms until their hot water problem is totally resolved.

I hope my unpleasant experience will help someone else. I truly hope it will help whoever is running this establishment be more motivated to get things in shape around there.

Room Tip: Ask them if their hot water issues are resolved before staying in the main building. FYI - there is...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Iluv2travel059

Travellers are raving about these Missoula hotels

Post Falls, Idaho
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I was on my business trip again to Missoula Montana and found this hotel down by the University. Was a great value! The staff was very friendly. Very clean rooms, major plus! I don't usually stay at corporate motels, I try to stay at the local motels to support local businesses. I really like the new look of Motel 6, the wooden floors were great I didn't think I would like them but do. Nice and quiet was able to get my work done and was in walking distance from downtown.

Room Tip: Check out the rooms with the kitchenette units, very nice you will enjoy them.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
MT
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Great location for a stay on homecoming wkend. Clean and neat. Staff was warm and welcoming. Would stay again. Close to downtown for walking to night life. Safe parking. Great location for a game day wkend!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back off the road to decrease traffic noise. Extended stay rooms have a fridg...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank freezinginMt
Arlington, WA
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I've stayed at several Motel 6's in years passed. Most all have been good experiences for what you pay. All have been clean but simple.
Motel 6 -University in Missoula was a poor exception! First thing, the clerk "upgraded" us to a "suite" in another building because they were having plumbing issues in the main building. This "suite" was awful. It was dirty...the floor, behind the beds, the cover bedding, etc. The toilet seat was actually broken, so it pinched as you sat. The shower/tub floor was stained brown...disgusting. The beds were so low grade that they had edges around them and you sunk into the middle.
I can say that I will not likely be a Motel 6 customer in the future, not wanting to take the chance of getting accommodations such again. I know they are not "the Hilton", nor did I expect that. But I do expect a clean and unbroken facility.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Booked a room through hotels.com at guest inn and suites and got SCREWED! Motel 6 had no vacancies, but the staff was amazing!! Helped us get a refund for the room we paid for at guest inn and then gave us a roll away bed to stay with family. We thought we were sleeping in the truck.... Thank you Joseph and staff. Awesome customer service! Definitely recommend for value travelers looking for great place to stay!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 21 August 2013

For a one night pas-through town stay, this was a good choice.
The staff was extremely helpful and courteous.
Wifi is included and coffee in the morning
The hotel is pet friendly. ( we had 1 dog and there where other dogs on the property)
The rooms are updated and have a "wooden" floor, no carpet, very clean.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends