“Opal Mt Gems Rocks :)”

Montana Gems of Philipsburg
Ranked #4 of 14 things to do in Philipsburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Last week my bf, Jeff Mawyer, gave me some scrap Sapphire gravel he had ordered from Opal Mt. Gems. I took the scrap gravel to my class and set up a Rock Lab for my third graders. My students had to pour their samples into a bowl and look at them . They then described what they saw on their Lab sheets. Then each student pour water into their bowl and look for minerals and rocks. Everything had been calmed until this point !! Then the students starting finding sapphire, tramoline, minerals, a fossil or two and many kinds of rocks!!!! They were so excited :) We look at and shared out samples for over an hour. I will never forget how excited each student was to find interesting rock sample and minerals... Its been a week and omg they still bring in things they found at home when they took their bags of gravel home. All the talk in my class has been rocks and minerals... Not only is Jeff our new class hero So is Opal Mt. Gems. Students have look your company up online and have enjoyed looking at your website :)
After Jeff was talking with Anna, Anna sent us a free class gravel sample from Africa.. well I guess another Friday afternoon will be spent sifting and sorting for rocks and minerals !!! My students will be talking about rocks and minerals for weeks !!! They are so excited.... In Reading we read a story called Rocks in His Head... about a mineralogist.. well I truly can say I and my entire class has Rocks in our Heads these days :)
El Horne
Third Grade Teacher Charles Town WV

2  Thank ElHorne

Reviewed 13 February 2012

What they have made to sell is absolutely beautiful.There are really some deals in there if you take your time and look.The mining from bags that they sell is a great activity for kids and adults alike, but like everything else, who knows if it's a rip or not, we did it just for fun.
If you do go with older kids,let them go do this while you look at all the stunning things in there. The shop is so nice because it's not too small and you don't feel like your going turn and knock things over. Very open and airy. Nice to go in and just spend time looking and you are able to pick up surprisingly affordable things.

2  Thank realist1Montana