“Love this place!!!”
Review of The Broadway Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Philipsburg
The Broadway Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Philipsburg
Portland, Oregon
“Love this place!!!”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Last September a close friend and I traveled across country in a van with a dog…it was a long trip. On our way back to Portland, OR we drove through Montana and happened upon The Broadway Hotel. We were accommodated by the owner who graciously offered us a room even though it was late and she had already gone home for the night! We were exhausted and just needed to crash. After a restful nights sleep we woke up to a full brunch spread in the common kitchen, complete with coffee, several fresh juices, fruit, pastries, cereal and the most amazing jam I’ve ever had! This little spot is the epitome of charming! The owner, Sue, was able to show us the other rooms as the other guest were all checked out. My friend and I are both vintage dealers and were VERY impressed with their collection of unique and unusual artifacts throughout. Each room is vibrantly decorated in a different wordily theme, for instance our room was a western theme…so cute! In addition to being historic and adorable the Broadway is completely handicap accessible which was important to my friend who has limited mobility. I highly recommend this place to anyone planning a trip to Montana! I will definitely be returning with my partner next year!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
BroadwayHotelMT, Owner at The Broadway Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
I loved reading your review! Thank you very much for taking the time to write to Trip Advisor. I enjoyed your company and it was a pleasure to have you with us and show you around. I do hope you can include The Broadway Hotel in any of your future travel plans. Take care and best wishes to you both.
Sue - The Broadway Hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I was lucky enough to stumble upon PBurg while working on a travel documentary film. What a gem this town is, so much wonderful character and charm. It is literally like a film set, a true western town with all the characters and character that makes it so comfortable. Our crew was fortunate enough to make the Broadway our home for a few days. The hotel and it's wonderful owner/host Sue made our stay so comfortable. The hotel and the rooms are charming with unique details that surround you. The lounge is a great gathering place and the kitchen was wide open and available to us at all hours. I was shocked to find such a wonderful place to stay while traveling the backroads of Montana. I am looking forward to returning this summer with my family and again making the Broadway our temporary home. Thanks SUE for the great hospitality and comfort, you've created a great Montana experience in the heart of PBURG.

Room Tip: Choose the Dicovery Room it is really great overlooking downtown.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Hi Tom: It was a pleasure having you and your crew stay with us. Your comments on our wonderful little town are gratefully received. I will share them with our Chamber of Commerce and the Town Council. (Not forgetting the Philipsburg Brewery!) They, like all of us, will be pleased that you enjoyed your stay in Philipsburg. A big thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to review The Broadway - great comments Tom. Thank you so much. I hope you make it back to us with your family - I would love to meet them! Best wishes with your documentaries.
Sue - The Broadway Hotel.
maryland
Reviewed 14 November 2013

The broadway hotel is wonderful. It is a renovated old building. The rooms are simple, tastefully decorated with a western motif, and there is a wonderful lobby with western art, a library, a fireplace, and a friendly dog in front of the fireplace......

It is on Main Street, near a local brewery/bar, other restaurants and shops. If you want to experience a slice of Montana, this is a great place to stay.

PS. Very reasonable price, friendly staff.

Room Tip: This is a bed and breakfast, no pool but breakfasts are great
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
BroadwayHotelMT, Manager at The Broadway Hotel, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to write your kind review for The Broadway Hotel. We are glad you enjoyed the atmosphere of the hotel. Philipsburg is truly a unique little town with so much to offer. I am sorry we do not have a pool, but at this time of the year you would be ice skating on it. We hope that you come back and stay with us again in the future when you travel to the area.

Happy Holidays,

Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Broadway Hotel in Philipsburg. We were in the "Hard Rock" room with the mining décor. The room is small but met our needs, especially with the common lounge area in the central part of the main floor. We spent several happy hours reading in that cozy area in front of the electric fireplace. We did not see much of the dog, Josie; we are not "dog people" but there was no problem when she was around. Breakfasts were delicious with an assortment of cereals, breads and fruit. We were able to use the kitchen refrigerator to store a few personal items and coffee and hot water and tea were available during the day and evening.

Room Tip: We were there in late September; some of the local attractions were closed for the winter. Check op...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking your time to write a review for us at The Broadway Hotel. It was nice to hear you enjoyed the lounge and felt comfortable and cozy. We like when our guests feel at home while they are staying with us. I am sorry there was not as many events happening in Philipsburg when you stayed with us. We hope you come back and visit us during the summer months, as there is so many great events and activities to be part of. You can check the calendar of events from the Official Phillipsburg Chamber of Commerce website and see all the events that will be going on at different times.

Happy Holidays,

Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

We had a unique and delightful stay! Sue asked us if we were okay with having Josie around since we had our small spaniel with us. Josie is a friendly, happy dog who is eager to please and well behaved. Josie and our Cooper enjoyed each other, sharing treats and the morning walk. We enjoyed her and would have said something immediately if we did not want her around. Our room was comfy, the lounge area cozy and we especially appreciated the printed information about driving to Garnet....Thank You!
We strolled the town shops and enjoyed visiting with people who work there. At various places, they provided helpful info and history about the area. Restaurants are very good and the local Brewery lots of fun.
Thank you, Philipsburg (and Josie)!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Maria,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review of your stay with us at The Broadway. We loved to hear that you and Cooper enjoyed visiting with Sue and Josie. I am glad that you were able to visit Garnet Ghost town and see all the great renovations they have done, and visit our wonderful shops in town. We hope that when you are back in the Philipsburg area you will visit with us again. Have a great holiday.

vernon
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We so enjoyed our stay with Sue at her delightful hotel October 9-11 and were surprised and confused by the gentleman's nasty review in September regarding Sue's dog. Josie the boxer is a lovely and well managed and mannered dog and would have been kept out of the hotel if we had indicated a problem of any kind with animals. On the contrary we delighted in our brief visits with her and thoroughly enjoyed our chats with Sue. She proved a great resource for the area as well as a pleasant host. We had the Broadway recommended to us and hope we can pay it forward. Doug and June

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
BroadwayHotelMT, Owner at The Broadway Hotel, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear Doug and June: Thank you so much for your wonderful and supportive review. So appreciated. I enjoyed your company and only wish we had had longer to visit with each other. I look forward to your next visit! Wishing you a very happy Holiday Season.

Best Wishes,
Sue and Josie.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 26 September 2013

It pained me to write this review. The Broadway is a charming, cozy hotel and tastefully decorated to capture the spirit of western Montana. The "Sportsmen's" room was large and comfy, and the adjacent Philipsburg brewery is a great place to meet locals. Sue was a gracious host, although we could have done without the 10-minute tutorial on how to use the TVs. The breakfast was superb. I stayed at the hotel with a fishing buddy, and we both looked forward to bringing our wives back to the Broadway sometime in the future and recommending the hotel to our friends.

HOWEVER, I will not return unless the resident dog (a big boxer) is absent. The dog was allowed to run in and out of the hotel at will. The owner even propped open the door in the morning to accommodate the dog, which persistently followed and growled at me on a morning walk. At one point, when I was several blocks from the hotel, the dog lunged at me and slammed her body against my leg, nearly knocking me over. I was stunned and very scared as the dog continued to taunt me until I got back to the hotel (it then tried to follow me into our room and I had to slam the door behind me). That morning, the dog was allowed to wander through the hotel, including the library where guests were eating breakfast. We had to shoo it away from our table when it pushed its nose into our laps while we were eating. This was way out of line and probably violates hotel health laws.

If it weren't for the threatening dog, this would have been a rave review. If you like to share your day with a large, threatening dog, make your reservation. If you prefer not to have your stay ruined by a threatening dog, I suggest that you ask Sue if the dog will be leashed and not allowed inside the hotel. If Sue refuses to do so, I suggest finding another place to stay -- but watch out of the wandering boxer on your morning walk.

Sue, please understand that not everyone is enamored with dogs, especially large and, at times, aggressive ones. I'm sure you think the dog was only "playing." But some guests don't see it that way. I didn't say anything about the dog because I didn't think it would do any good, and we were leaving that morning anyway. My friend even offered to tell you about it, but I asked him not to. In my experience, I've discovered that many dog owners are very emotional about their animals. If you love your dog, you expect others to also love your dog. Please consider the comfort of your guests before your dog. People are more important -- especially when the Broadway's reputation is on the line.

I hope you will respond to this review and tell other potential guests that, from now on, you will keep the dog out of the hotel and properly leashed. Only then will we return with our wives and recommend the Broadway to friends.

Thanks.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank enlightenedroadie
BroadwayHotelMT, Owner at The Broadway Hotel, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Dear Sir: I am sorry to hear of your fear and discomfort of staying with us at The Broadway Hotel. Your experiences with Josie, the boxer, could have been avoided if you had said at the beginning of your stay that you would prefer not to have her be around. She would have been removed immediately. After spending two nights with us, upon your departure you left a message on our Guest Comment sheet in your room about Josie "taunting" you - I would have called or written to you but upon checking-in you declined to give your email address or phone number. I am really sorry that you felt bothered by her.

I think you might have misunderstood Josie's behavior as threatening when in fact she was probably trying to be playful. She is most definitely not an aggressive dog. I have never heard her growl at anyone and that you felt menaced and fearful is very unfortunate. My apologies.

Guests are always asked if they object to having Josie in the hotel. There have been very few times when guests have asked to not have her around. Josie is a very sweet natured dog who is loved and petted by most guests. In their reviews Josie is mentioned often. People traveling miss their dogs and are only too happy to have one around to make a fuss of. We are a pet friendly hotel, meaning we have three rooms available for guests to be able to bring their dogs with them.

Josie doesn't wander more than around the perimeter of the hotel. The town has at least 5 other boxers who are quite large (Josie is small in comparison) and I know of one who is allowed to wander. Friends have called me to say that they have seen Josie when actually she's been with me at home.

As far as taking up your time to explain how the Dish Network remote works, all I can offer is that today's remotes often confuse many people and our guests have on frequent occasion, called and asked for help. We thought we were helping - again, my apologies.

Sue Mays.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
Boulder Creek Lodge Montana
#3 of 5 in Philipsburg
The Ranch at Rock Creek
The Ranch at Rock Creek
#1 of 5 in Philipsburg

Been to The Broadway Hotel? Share your experiences!