“Disgusting”

Elkhorn Hot Springs
Ranked #2 of 3 things to do in Polaris
More attraction details
Owner description: The perfect place to take a dip to soothe tired muscles.
Bozeman, Montana, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Disgusting”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Don't waste your time on this place, it's easily the grossest hot springs I've ever been in. We went here after a day of skiing on Maverick Mountain, hoping to soak and relax. I thought I was going to catch something from the changing rooms, the pool itself had a 10x15 foot area that looked like it had been power washed to be free from slime. The rest of the pool was literally covered in visible scum. There was a pipe in the wall that was pumping water into the pool, covered in rust with slime hanging from it. The whole place smelled like mold and rot.

We looked at the "dining room" after we got out of the nasty pool and it was equally as bad. As a side note, I'm not the least bit squeamish about "hole-in-the-wall" type places. I love them but this place was just terrible.

Visited March 2013
6 Thank Ken F

Spokane, Washington
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“A Diamond in the Rough”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

My husband and I love hot springs and frequently plan vacations that include stays at various locations, that's how we found our way to Elkhorn hot springs in november. It is an out of the way destination but the mineral water is well worth the drive. The cabins are rustic and really over priced, however the lodging rate does include breakfast, which was a huge "to order" feast that was really well prepared, and the coffee was amazing. We were the only guests the night we stayed so it was very quiet, we dined in the lodge and they offered a very limited dining selection,burgers or anything deep fried, which was prepared by the one and only staff on duty. It was forgettable, unlike his little corgi the resident mascot.There are limited choices for lodging, the lodge is weirdly chopped up into several very small rooms with bad mattresses and in desperate need of deep cleaning, the oddest part was the "shared" bath situation, one toilet 3 steps up and opening out towards the dining room, and a communal shower. The cabins are across a stream and the outhouses are stinky and shared by several cabins. The "modern" cabin does have lights all on one switch and is very rustic.The best part of our stay besides the beautiful surroundings was the hot springs, the water is near odorless and the pools were fairly clean with varying temperature choices. The dressing rooms were modern and very clean. They provide clean towels and sell bottled water. The pools are located past the lodge a short walk from the cabins which is a little inconvenient. There's a nice ski resort a short way down the road and cross country skiing just past the lodge. We are definitely going to return and hopefully the owners will have made some needed improvements.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Deeziemae
Spokane, WA
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“A good stop after Crystal Park”
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

You're bound to be hot and dusty after digging for crystals in the (terrific ) nearby Crystal Park so this was enjoyed by the kids, ages 8 and 9. It would be hard to beat the scenery, but the pools need updating, painting, and it would be great to have some seats in the pool. That said, the changing room was nice and clean as were the restrooms. I think it's a good stop for a little soak or swim.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank calkatt
Havre, Montana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Fun is what you make it !”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

What a bunch of whiny S.O.B.'s. This place is nice. Yes, this not a Holiday Inn. You can do what you want. Go hiking, soak in the spring, take a nice drive to one of the many historic areas nearby. I come with my family and play games, get loud, drink whiskey, and have a grand time. Yes, the cabins are minimal. I have always found them clean and the bedding fresh. Always a table and light. We play cards while listening to our stereo. You want room service, go somewhere else.

Visited August 2012
6 Thank Mike H
Wise River, Montana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Pleasantly Surprised!!”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Just came back from a 2 day stay and before going I was a little apprehensive because of the reviews I had read. 'we arrived just before a spring snowstorm. We were there the day before it actually opened. The cabin was clean and comfortable. My only problem was there were no door knobs on the doors and we had to stuff the holes with plastic bags and put a chair against the door at night. 'we were told they had just put in new doors with locks and had been waiting for the door knobs for over a month. My first reaction was "don[t they ever go to town?"

We soaked in the hot pools which were very clean and odorless. It was beautiful to sit here in the hot water while snow fell on us. Breakfast was good both days and dinner on the last night was scrumptious. The staff was unfailingly friendly and helpful.

This was the perfect place for my sisters and I to spend a couple of days together . 'this is the first time in years we had all been together and everyone at the Hot Springs helped make it special.

Visited May 2013