“Get back to Nature”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Polebridge
North Fork Hostel and Square Peg Ranch
Vancouver, Canada
“Get back to Nature”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This was our last stop on our road trip around America. To be perfectly honest it just couldn't have ended any better, we spent 4 fantastic nights in the Green Zucchini. When reading reviews on the Zucchini I was a little worried about the size of the bed but I am 6ft3 and had no problems with comfort even though it is not a proper mattress so to speak. The feel of the hostel is incredible, Oliver the owner has done an amazing job with it and you can tell how much he loves living where he does when you speak to him. You have an hour of power a day if you need to charge cameras, which is great when you just want to get away from all outside world communications. We never used the hour of power as it was great time to just read on the porch of the Zucchini. There is a great river running along out back of the land the hostel is on, and if you're lucky you can see the beaver that has made part of the river his home. Nearby is the entrance to Glacier and you can head to Bowman lake among others from there. As previous people have noted the roads in Polebridge are more dirt roads than roads. The kitchen is good with ample room to store food in the fridges provided. The saloon up the road does very cheap drinks and there is a mercantile that has some great bake goods even if their souvenirs are on the expensive side. Be warned in summer it gets dark very late and bright very early but it is all part of the experience. If you want to get away from the world for a while I could't tell you a better place, there is something special about it and we are hoping to come back.
Thanks for your hospitality Oliver.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravellingPiglets

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
missoula
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Been to Polebridge many times but first stay at the hostel. First, bikers beware. The dirt road is long, and the dust is choking and constant. No alternatives, this road goes right to the Candian border and stops. The 'town' of Polebridge consists of a bakery/barebones store, a restaurant open for dinner, and the hostel, which is wonderful. Its in a very rustic setting, but well kept, an old log house w hostel type bedrooms inside, a couple small tidy cabins outside and tent camping on the expansive lawn. Toilets are outhouses. The kitchen is very nice, and there is a lot of food left by others available for sharing. Chores are shared & there is usually a fire at night w bottles and stories shared. When we were there there were people from Sweden, South Africa, Argentina, and locals like us.

This place is really really remote. There is an entrance to Glacier Park right there, but it is in a part of the park most tourists dont frequent, no jagged peaks or glacial waterfalls but a few neat lakes. If you like your creature comforts this is not for you.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hamstir
Spanish Fort, Alabama
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Oliver was so accommodating & very polite! Really off the grid which is part of the whole experience! There was a grill/bar that has THE BEST elk burger & huckleberry cocktails! Will be going back again! Thanks again Oliver!
Sincerely Bama girls!

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Bama86
North Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Location! Location! Location! A different type of hostel Hidden next to Glacier National Park. First was access to the park and wild lands of Montana as close to wilderness anywhere in the lower 48 states.
We chose the cabin.The proprietor, Oliver, and other travelers were quite helpful in sharing the secerts of the area. Great hiking in the park and National Forest and kayaking down the North Fork of the Flathead River were some of our adventures. Simply waking up and walking outside with a fresh cup of coffee listening to the river,smelling the freshness of pure clean mountain, the dew on the grass and the crisp cool morning air is something I will not forget.
Writing this review I can sit here and experience the peace, tranquility I so need in my life.
We will be back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FHP55555
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 22 September 2012

We ended up at the North Fork Hostel randomly at night in the off season when looking for a place to stay before a backpacking trip in Glacier. Oliver was kind enough to offer us a place to stay despite us showing up without a reservation. We stayed in the Goat Chalet which was a quant little rustic cabin type deal. We woke up and cooked some breakfast in the cutest kitchen ever and then made a stop by the Polebridge Mercantile for some excellent baked goods. So Oliver is a wonderful host and the location is like nothing else I've experienced. A great place to stay if you're interested in visiting Polebridge or the nearby portion of Glacier Park.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We just spent a night up at the North Fork Hostel and decided to splurge and get the Tepee because that just sounded so charming. For fifty bucks, we could have eaten at the North Fork Saloon and slept out under the stars where there may have been fewer mosquitos! It seemed as if they swarmed us all night and neither of us slept. We spoke to the couple in the other tepee the next day and they had a similar experience.
Polebridge is wonderful and well worth the drive but I have to say - pitch a tent and save your dough for the pastries in the morning at the Mercantile! :)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank MTmaven
Tallahassee, Florida, United States
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I LOVE the North Fork Hostel. I recommend the Green Zucchini, which is super cheap and really fun to stay in. I actually went there for a week one year, and I had to come back the next year because it was so amazing-- which isn't easy because I was coming from the east coast. This is my favorite hostel I've ever stayed at. I saw black bears, grizzly bears and elk nearby (in May) and I got really great tips and heard great stories from Oliver, who runs the hostel. I love this place! I can't wait to go back for a third time.

Room Tip: The Green Zucchini is my favorite, but the bed is small so if you're sharing, you should be clos...