“Everything we tried was excellent”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Polebridge
Polebridge Mercantile and Cabins
Temperance, Michigan, United States
“Everything we tried was excellent”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed in Polebridge for a week and loved waking up every morning and walking to the merc for breakfast. Not only are the huckleberry bear claws excellent, the breakfast sandwiches are phenomenal! Don't let the remote location fool you, get there early for the best selection!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Angi S

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Lyons, Colorado
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We are foodies and I'm gluten free so it's not easy for us to find a good bakery to please our family. We stopped into this cute old timey general store and picked up a large assortment of bakery items. Everyone loved their choices; scones, cinnamon rolls, cookies etc. I got a GF trail bar and GF peanut butter cranberry cookies. These were honestly the best I've ever eaten, and gluten free to boot!! I'm talking better than most bakeries in major metros. It was so good that we will drive from our campground at Two Medicine to Polebridge just to get our fix next time we visit Glacier...and we will stock up for the week. A must go and worth your drive!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Stacey P
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We bought the huckleberry bear claws and chocolate chip cookies at the mercantile the best wish we had gotten more. Very friendly people it was interesting to hear them talk about the area. We took a beer in the bar then sat outside to enjoy the view. Well worth the drive.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TGS123_13
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

It's a bit of a drive but well worth it. Seems like a place back in time. Even has two pay phones (remember those!) on porch. Love the small store and bakery items. Had my first huckleberry bear claw and if was wonderful. Hang around and check out the place. Lots of people stop by that are camping or just driving up from Park. We talked to guy who had lived there since 1980 and he had some great stories about the annual parade and prom. Also talked with a young couple from Alabama who were biking from the Mexico border to Banff. Most interesting and enjoyable. If you have time, drive up to Bowan Lake. Narrow road that is difficult in spots but passable in passenger car. Beautiful lake and scenery. Nice trail around it if you want to hike some.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Flyrod929
chicago
Reviewed 6 July 2014

But as far as the little cafe goes and the pastries - So good!! I loved this little mercantile. The food was so good (most amazing potato salad...ever) and the pastries we got were exactly what we needed for a midnight snack.
We headed up to Bowman Lake Campground and camped there so this spot was nice to get some last minute supplies and have a good dinner with good beer.
It's definitely a spot for backpackers and hikers to chill out for a bit and take in some beautiful scenery.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jjula1979
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Over multiple trips I've spent time in Polebridge and backpacking the surrounding area. This is a place that when people ask me about my favorite places to go I'll hesitate to decide if I'd want to run into them there. Its a bumpy ride along the (thankfully) dirt road that keeps people out but if you're willing you'll be rewarded. The goods at the Mercantile and dinner at the saloon will make you never want to leave. The cabins are a step above camping but compared to the outrageous prices for inferior lodging in the park I'll only ever stay at polebridge if I'm not camping. The people there have been really friendly, I needed to get my car from kintla lake early one morning and I got offered someones mountain bike to do the ride. Juts a generally laid back group of people in a perfect setting. In fact after writing this review I think I'll start planning my next trip back.

Room Tip: Classic rustic cabins, no frills if thats what you're looking for. The stark/basic nature added...