“This is a must do adventure! A journey of a lifetime!”

Absaroka Dogsled Treks
Ranked #3 of 4 things to do in Pray
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience Dogsledding in Montana! Based at Chico Hot Springs Resort and Day Spa, located just 30 miles north of Yellowstone National Park, and 26 miles south of Livingston, MT. Drive your own team, or sit back and let our guides take you on an adventure of a lifetime! Outdoor fun for the whole family! Choose from three trek options: Tenderfoot (intro trek), Yukon (1/2 Day which includes a picnic lunch on trail), or Denali (Full Day & the guides grill steak and trout on trail!). Treks leave daily at 9:15am from our dogsled office at Chico Hot Springs Resort. Our season runs from the day after Thanksgiving through the end of March. Reservations are required and we accept them year round. Hope to see you on the trail!
Reviewed 14 July 2013

December 2012 - full day dogsledding trek was amazing and something we will never forget!

My husband and I were looking for adventure and beauty in Montana and we found it on our Denali trek with Absaroka dog sled treks!!! We were amazed by the whole trip. It was incredible from start to finish and is something we will talk about and treasure for years to come.

We started out at Absaroka headquarters at Chico Hot Springs. We walked in and met Mark and his sweet little dog. Mark welcomed us and went over the details of what we be doing that day and demonstrated on a model sled what we would encounter and how to control the sled while mushing or riding in the basket. We also were fitted with clothing that would help us through our journey. Soon after, we met our wonderful guide , Carr. Carr then rode us out to the location where we would go dog sledding and then get set up for our awesome journey.

We arrived at our sledding start point in the magnificent Gallatin National Forest. Wow! The area around the trailhead was a beautiful winter wonderland and was breathtaking. Carr started to get the equipment ready for our trek and my husband, who loves to learn , asked Carr if it was okay to help him set up the dogs and lines. Carr was enthusiastic and very personable and was was glad to let my husband help out. They set up both sleds with our dogs and Carr introduced us to all of the dogs and gave us instructions on how to get the dogs to follow commands and how to steer and brake on the sled. We had 8 dogs on our sled.

Our journey began and it was a beautiful day! We ascended through the mountain and enjoyed the beautiful terrain. I was in the sled basket wrapped up in my cozy sleeping bag while my husband mushed on. We thoroughly enjoyed the ride and the dogs did a great job. One thing we didn't realize , as inexperienced mushers, is that you help the dogs out on steep inclines and hard areas to trek. My husband and I both agree , as moderately conditioned people , that it is helpful to have experience with running or another cardio/ aerobic type workout to endure this trek. It reminded me of the motion of riding a skateboarding and digging the pavement with your feet to keep the speed at the proper cadence. At one point , my husband told Carr that he wanted to switch out and let me mush.. Which I was very excited to do. After the switch, I mushed for 10-15 minutes. Boy- was that a workout! Lol. I had a great time though and it was quite a magical experience! What excitement I felt as I realized I was in charge of the team of dogs! How cool!

We stopped at a very beautiful area to have lunch. At this area had thick snow and gorgeous trees. Carr and Orlando got the dogs tied up for their lunch time and their rest period and Carr began to feed the dogs some treats. What happened next was impressive to say the least. Carr set up a wonderful picnic area and lunch for us. It was really very romantic for my husband and I in a way. Here we are with these amazing dogs and we are surrounded by this winter wonderland Splendor, and we are having an amazing lunch on this sleeping bag that has been specially arranged for us. The first course of food was appetizers . Breads, cheeses, and veggies with dip. As we ate our appetizers, Carr started a campfire and grilled us some fish and steak. Oh.. My .. Wow.. It tasted amazing. Kind of like camping, but an upscale camping. The steak was some of the best I have ever tasted. We has vegetables with the main course and then we got to the cheesecake. Also some of the best I have ever had. Carr was a wonderful host and we stayed for probably about 45 minutes to an hour at that spot and asked questions about the dogs and got to know Carr a little better. The whole lunch experience was top notch.

After lunch, we packed up and my husband mushed our sled. I have to say that he only dumped me out of the basket on a couple of sharp turns 2-3 times! Lol! We got some good laughs over that! We enjoyed the remainder of the journey and continued back to our point where we entered our trek. What an exillerating trip! We were so impressed with the whole tour. The dogs were beautiful and well behaved. We felt that we might have needed a couple of more dogs to get us up the hills better, but it was good exercise for my husband , the energizer bunny. Carr couldn't have been any better of a guide than he was. He is an asset to the absaroka team. As we packed up and headed back to the store front, we were exhausted , but very impressed and enriched because of this experience of a lifetime. We are very thankful to absaroka dog sledding treks for a wonderful trip and We will give this a 5 out of 5 star rating! It's a must do adventure! Thank you !

Angie and Orlando Gomez