“Quaint proprerty, nice place for a wedding”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pray
Chico Hot Springs Resort
NW Indiana
“Quaint proprerty, nice place for a wedding”
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We visited Chico Hot Springs Resort because that is where my sister wanted to have her wedding. We spent two nights there in the main lodge, in a room (208) with a bathroom. Our room was barely bigger than a postage stamp, no view from the window, and the bed was crooked, but our fault for not bringing it to their attention sooner.

Other than a very small room, we loved the resort. We really enjoyed the hot pool (I had recently injured my back and it was very soothing for it), the grounds were spectacular, clean, landscaping was constantly getting attention, everything seemed freshly painted and in great order. Stables were very nice too and had I not hurt my back we would have taken a ride - very reasonable rates! We enjoyed the energy in the saloon while watching the opening season football game there (no tvs in the room). Bartenders were very fast, pouring very good -read "strong"- drinks!

Our dining at the resort consisted of two breakfasts that were in the dining room, breakfast is served buffet style here. It was very well stocked and constantly refilled with fresh items. Juice, coffee and milk included too, all for the very reasonable price of 8.95 per adult. We wish we could have had dinner in the dining room, everyone who we spoke to who did raved about it. We also had dinner at the resort but as part of the wedding reception and that was very good for reception food. Hot, tasty and attractively served.

Regarding weddings here, since I have been to one here now I understand why my sister wanted to have hers here. It was very beautiful (see picture), lawn seating in her case, and reception right in the hall behind where the ceremony took place on the stairway. The reception hall was very attractive, the bar was well stocked, bartender very good at her job, very professional. The cake which was made by the staff at Chico was one of the best wedding cakes I have ever tasted (and I have had my share). I highly recommend this place for an outdoor wedding - but book far in advance, nice summer weekends are few in this part of the country.

Also, my sister, the bride, had cabin 702 and it was awesome, with a whirlpool tub, large king bed, beautifully decorated. We wish we could have booked one of these for our stay. Made our room look like a dump compared to hers. Truly gorgeous!

Room Tip: We had 208, very very small, had to store luggage under the bed because there was no room, and the t...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank racegrrl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Prairie Village, Kansas
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Made a last minute reservation for a room and dinner for September 7th.
Got a 3rd floor room in the original Lodge with a bathroom down the hall. 2 electric outlets in the room for the bedside lamp and the alarm clock. A table fan sat on an antique wooden chair in the corner of the room, but where to plug it???
Opened the window for ventilation. This is a pet friendly hotel and there are apparently
watchdogs on the property too. Between the dogs and a fellow guest's snoring, we didn't get much sleep.
Cancelled our 5:00AM "wake up knock",showered, packed and checked out about 4:30AM.
The WiFi connection in the library wasn't strong enough for my notebook to give me the info I needed for my flight the next day. I asked if I could use one of the hotel's desktops
(believe I saw something about a Conference Center and assumed this wouldn't be a big deal~WRONG!). They will rent you a laptop for $15 per hour to use in the Lobby where the signal is stronger.They will also let you use the phones in the Lobby to call someone who might be willing to help you ( the airline, the Spa...) I couldn't hear on the Lobby phone very well, so asked for directions to the Spa."Out the door and up the hill" After walking the length of the property to go up the hill we walked back and took the car to the Spa.THEY were lovely and able to charge the services to the room despite the fact that the Front Desk couldn't arrange the Spa visit on their not-so-vintage phone.
Food and service in the Dining Room were exceptional.
Spa providers,fabulous.
The tiny,authentically vintage room was squeaky AND clean.
Spent under 24 hours and over $300 here.
If the Front Desk personnel "woulda" been a little more helpful, this "coulda" been a fantastic experience. Guess I "shoulda" known that taking the least expensive room available marked me as less than worthy of the staff's time and attention.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 8 September 2011

I visited Chico Hot Springs primarily to go horseback riding on my way from Bozeman to Yellowstone National Park. The horseback riding trip was wonderful, with friendly local guides who really knew the area. Prices for riding were way more reasonable than at home (in Tampa). The horses were very well taken care of and were easy to ride.

I had lunch at the poolside grille, and was very pleasantly surprised at how delicious the salad was. They have two pools, one filled with hot spring water and another that is more like a hot tub. Because it was summer and above 80 degrees, they were adding cold water to both pools to cool them down for swimmers. I imagine the hot spring water would feel marvelous in the winter.

I didn't look inside a room, but the motel-style rooms looked cute, and there were also rooms inside a main building. The individual cabins looked completely adorable from the outside ... spaced far enought apart for sound privacy. Some were in the maiin area, while others were perched up on a hill above the main area.

There was a coffee/ice cream shop, a cute giftshop, a saloon, and a separate full restaurant for breakfast and dinner. All in all this looked like a dreamy oasis in a beautiful but dry valley, surrounded by some beautiful hills and mountains. I would love to come back and stay for a few days.

Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Kleetampa
Hartford, CT
Reviewed 7 September 2011

We stopped here for two nights of pampering in the middle of a two week camping trip. When we called for the reservation, the resort rooms were full so they booked us in Andy's Cabin #2. This was a lovely cabin 9 miles from the resort. In Montana, 9 miles is not very far (9 minutes at most away), and, if I stayed there again, I would request it.
I had a massage in the spa which was delivered by a wonderful woman. We took the scenic raft trip down the Yellowstone, which was amazing with our guide, Abram. We enjoyed the restaurant and also the pools, which were kind of a retro fun - old and funky. Not far from the resort and our cabin, we were able to enjoy a great hike to a waterfall. This was a great stop on our trip and would be a great and relaxing destination on its own.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ncmurray
Belgrade, Montana
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Located at the base of volcano-like Emigrant Peak in the heart of Paradise Valley, Chico Hot Springs Resort dates back over a hundred years. The rambling lodge/hotel, out buildings, and spa is an eclectic mix of ancient old west charm and contemporary cliché rustics. The resort includes 100+ year old and modern hotel rooms, a five star restaurant, two hot spring-fed pools, various lodges, cabins, a gift shop, a bar, and a burger joint. It can be a strange combination at times: half drunken locals taking an evening dip in the pool for $3, mixing with movie stars trying to get away from everything and paying upwards of $200 a meal per person in the truly excellent restaurant.
A bar adjoins the semi-outdoor pools. It hosts live music and serves drinks pool-side. Also adjoining the pool is a burger joint. Inside, the main lodge is truly steeped in history, almost to the point of too old. Yet it connects with the modern “Warren” wing featuring modern hotel rooms and named after less than famous actor, Warren Oats. Oh, and his pictures plaster every square inch of the halls. The old rooms in three creaky stories of lodge are very quaint. They have some hundred year old furnishings, are accessed through narrow halls, and only a few have bathrooms. The rest share bathrooms down the halls. While you may catch sight of a local ghost at 3 a.m., you won’t get normal hotel privacy. For that, choose a “Warren” room. The grounds also include guest cabins and lodges for various functions, including weddings.
At the low end, one can get a room without a bathroom in the old lodge for $45, eat and have drinks at the pool for under $25, and swim for free. At the high end, a private cabin can cost up to $250 and dinner with drinks for one could easily total over $150 at the five star restaurant.
Must do’s: Swim in steaming water while snowflakes fall. Have the amazing Sunday brunch, and brave a haunted 3rd floor 100 year old room (but just for one night). Get a local charter flight to buzz you in on the highway that leads to the resort and doubles as an airstrip.
Be aware: You may be swimming with bikers and movie stars at the same time. Everyone dresses casual (or a lot less than), so leave your suite and dress at home.
Down the dirt road about 2 miles is the "ghost" mining town of Old Chico. Worth a peak.

Room Tip: Be specific weather you want a modern hotel room, or quaint rustic room. Rustic rooms are noisy, la...
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AdmiralNahohkta
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed 4 September 2011

We spent 2 nights in a standard room in Chico's historic main lodge. We made reservations in June and the basic rooms were the only pet-friendly rooms left available. To be honest, the room was tiny, the bed wasn't exactly comfortable, and there was no A/C in the main lodge, but it was super cheap and everything else was so great that it still deserves 5 stars. If we had it to do all over again, we would make reservations earlier and upgrade to one of the nicer, newer rooms. But Chico still won our hearts. The spring-fed pool is fantastic, and it's so nice being able to get drinks/food right there at the pool-side bar and restaurant. The resort grounds are immaculate and we spent considerable time just walking around enjoying the gardens. There is also a nice short hike (less than a mile each way) up to a trout pond in the hills above the resort. It's a really nice morning walk, and the views over the valley are wonderful. Be sure to splurge at least once and have a nice dinner in the restaurant. They have a great wine list and really nice menu. The staff was extremely courteous and inviting. We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mathemagic
Garnet Valley, PA
Reviewed 23 August 2011

My family of five stayed at Chico for one night. We had two rooms that connected. The rooms were very spacious. Our rooms sat above the main hotel and overlooked the stables and the gardens. The view was beautiful. We did visit the hot springs pool which was relaxing and very warm. We didn't get to stay at the pool long as it rained. We ate dinner at the restaurant which was excellent!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank delzi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pray
Yellowstone Valley Lodge
Yellowstone Valley Lodge
#1 of 10 in Livingston
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabi...
#1 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
Rodeway Inn and Suites
Rodeway Inn and Suites
#2 of 8 in Gardiner
Comfort Inn Yellowstone North

Been to Chico Hot Springs Resort? Share your experiences!