Chico Hot Springs Resort
Yellowstone Valley Lodge(Livingston)(Great Value!)
US$181
US$176
Agoda.com
Comfort Inn(Livingston)(Great Value!)
US$105
Livingston Inn Motel(Livingston)(Great Value!)
US$113
US$106
Econo Lodge Livingston(Livingston)(Great Value!)
US$76
Country Motor Inn(Livingston)
US$64
US$58
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe main lodgepoolside grillhorseback ridinglower lodgeparadise valleydog sleddingpool siderustic cabinoriginal lodgethe main dining roomlarge pooldinner reservationsshared bathspring poolmontana experiencehot poolsown bathroom
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 September 2011

My husband arranged a weekend stay at Chico for my surprise birthday gift. The gardens and landscaping are beautifully maintained, to the point of being exceptional.
Spent the first afternoon at the spa and it was absolutely delightful.

However....be forewarned that it is imperative to make dinner reservations when you book the room. We were not told about this when booking the room and spa and on arrival were told the earliest time available for dinner was 9:30 PM !! My husband asked the hostess if there was any possibility of getting in a little earlier. No was the answer. And there really is no other place to eat within many miles of Chico. Thankfully the young woman at the spa suggested we try a new place that was only 10 miles away.
We stayed in a cottage at the top of the hill. Great view. Lovely lawn and trees where we sat to have a drink. The beds were horrible. The very worst we've ever encountered in years of travel. The mattresses were so bad even our teenage son complained of back pain and was unable to sleep for 2 nights. The furnishings were shabby and the couch looked so worn and dirty I was frankly almost afraid to sit down. The cottage was a great disappointment. Perhaps management should spend a night or two on the beds so they'll understand.
We didn't go into the Log House Cabins or the Fisherman's Lodge but just from driving by it sure looked as if those rooms would only be suitable for guys wanting a place to crash while on a fishing or hunting trip. There are some attractive, newer looking cabins called The North 40 near the main lodge.
Breakfast was so-so, at best. However the Sunday Brunch was excellent. Too bad the daily offering didn't rise to the same standard. The second night of our stay we were again unable to get dinner reservations at a reasonable hour so we drove the 20 miles round trip to same restaurant we'd gone to before.
The hot springs consists of two pools. One is a smaller pool with the hot springs water and the second is much larger with cooler water. The pool area is sad looking and on a Saturday afternoon was a madhouse with kids and a few rowdy adults. We only stayed for an hour. It's a shame because if the pool area was re-done with bolders and proper landscaping to look like a natural springs it could be fantastic.
The good: the views and landscaping. The trail guide.
The Bad: poor front desk attitude, no dinner reservations
The ugly: Worst beds in the world, shabby rooms

Room Tip: Cottages 604, 605, 707, 708 have great views but if they're all like 605 the furnishings are shabby and mattresses are horrible. The log House Cabins, 600,501 to 504 are right on a dusty road and look pretty grubby. The Fisherman's Lodge, 800-812 looks like a crash pad for fishermen and hunters, The North 40 cabins look new and attractive. If you stay in the Main Lodge make sure you ask for a room with a private bath unless you don't mind sharing. There is one cabin near the spa and it looked like a great place and that is 701, Shooting Star Cabin.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Purrz
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We visited Chico Hot Springs Resort because that is where my sister wanted to have her wedding. We spent two nights there in the main lodge, in a room (208) with a bathroom. Our room was barely bigger than a postage stamp, no view from the window, and the bed was crooked, but our fault for not bringing it to their attention sooner.

Other than a very small room, we loved the resort. We really enjoyed the hot pool (I had recently injured my back and it was very soothing for it), the grounds were spectacular, clean, landscaping was constantly getting attention, everything seemed freshly painted and in great order. Stables were very nice too and had I not hurt my back we would have taken a ride - very reasonable rates! We enjoyed the energy in the saloon while watching the opening season football game there (no tvs in the room). Bartenders were very fast, pouring very good -read "strong"- drinks!

Our dining at the resort consisted of two breakfasts that were in the dining room, breakfast is served buffet style here. It was very well stocked and constantly refilled with fresh items. Juice, coffee and milk included too, all for the very reasonable price of 8.95 per adult. We wish we could have had dinner in the dining room, everyone who we spoke to who did raved about it. We also had dinner at the resort but as part of the wedding reception and that was very good for reception food. Hot, tasty and attractively served.

Regarding weddings here, since I have been to one here now I understand why my sister wanted to have hers here. It was very beautiful (see picture), lawn seating in her case, and reception right in the hall behind where the ceremony took place on the stairway. The reception hall was very attractive, the bar was well stocked, bartender very good at her job, very professional. The cake which was made by the staff at Chico was one of the best wedding cakes I have ever tasted (and I have had my share). I highly recommend this place for an outdoor wedding - but book far in advance, nice summer weekends are few in this part of the country.

Also, my sister, the bride, had cabin 702 and it was awesome, with a whirlpool tub, large king bed, beautifully decorated. We wish we could have booked one of these for our stay. Made our room look like a dump compared to hers. Truly gorgeous!

Room Tip: We had 208, very very small, had to store luggage under the bed because there was no room, and the tiny closet we did have was filled with a fan for the room and extra blankets, so that was impossible to use. My parents has 105, also a room with a bathroom in the main lodge, but it was at least 30% bigger than ours, with a large closet area. Our room was very difficult to manuever with two, no room to "pass" someone in the room. I couldn't even take pictures it was that small, no room to angle a picture from.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Elizabeth S
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Made a last minute reservation for a room and dinner for September 7th.
Got a 3rd floor room in the original Lodge with a bathroom down the hall. 2 electric outlets in the room for the bedside lamp and the alarm clock. A table fan sat on an antique wooden chair in the corner of the room, but where to plug it???
Opened the window for ventilation. This is a pet friendly hotel and there are apparently
watchdogs on the property too. Between the dogs and a fellow guest's snoring, we didn't get much sleep.
Cancelled our 5:00AM "wake up knock",showered, packed and checked out about 4:30AM.
The WiFi connection in the library wasn't strong enough for my notebook to give me the info I needed for my flight the next day. I asked if I could use one of the hotel's desktops
(believe I saw something about a Conference Center and assumed this wouldn't be a big deal~WRONG!). They will rent you a laptop for $15 per hour to use in the Lobby where the signal is stronger.They will also let you use the phones in the Lobby to call someone who might be willing to help you ( the airline, the Spa...) I couldn't hear on the Lobby phone very well, so asked for directions to the Spa."Out the door and up the hill" After walking the length of the property to go up the hill we walked back and took the car to the Spa.THEY were lovely and able to charge the services to the room despite the fact that the Front Desk couldn't arrange the Spa visit on their not-so-vintage phone.
Food and service in the Dining Room were exceptional.
Spa providers,fabulous.
The tiny,authentically vintage room was squeaky AND clean.
Spent under 24 hours and over $300 here.
If the Front Desk personnel "woulda" been a little more helpful, this "coulda" been a fantastic experience. Guess I "shoulda" known that taking the least expensive room available marked me as less than worthy of the staff's time and attention.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2011

I visited Chico Hot Springs primarily to go horseback riding on my way from Bozeman to Yellowstone National Park. The horseback riding trip was wonderful, with friendly local guides who really knew the area. Prices for riding were way more reasonable than at home (in Tampa). The horses were very well taken care of and were easy to ride.

I had lunch at the poolside grille, and was very pleasantly surprised at how delicious the salad was. They have two pools, one filled with hot spring water and another that is more like a hot tub. Because it was summer and above 80 degrees, they were adding cold water to both pools to cool them down for swimmers. I imagine the hot spring water would feel marvelous in the winter.

I didn't look inside a room, but the motel-style rooms looked cute, and there were also rooms inside a main building. The individual cabins looked completely adorable from the outside ... spaced far enought apart for sound privacy. Some were in the maiin area, while others were perched up on a hill above the main area.

There was a coffee/ice cream shop, a cute giftshop, a saloon, and a separate full restaurant for breakfast and dinner. All in all this looked like a dreamy oasis in a beautiful but dry valley, surrounded by some beautiful hills and mountains. I would love to come back and stay for a few days.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Kleetampa
Reviewed 7 September 2011

We stopped here for two nights of pampering in the middle of a two week camping trip. When we called for the reservation, the resort rooms were full so they booked us in Andy's Cabin #2. This was a lovely cabin 9 miles from the resort. In Montana, 9 miles is not very far (9 minutes at most away), and, if I stayed there again, I would request it.
I had a massage in the spa which was delivered by a wonderful woman. We took the scenic raft trip down the Yellowstone, which was amazing with our guide, Abram. We enjoyed the restaurant and also the pools, which were kind of a retro fun - old and funky. Not far from the resort and our cabin, we were able to enjoy a great hike to a waterfall. This was a great stop on our trip and would be a great and relaxing destination on its own.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family