“come and meet the animals of montana” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Yellowstone Wildlife Sanctuary

Yellowstone Wildlife Sanctuary
Ranked #2 of 20 things to do in Red Lodge
More attraction details
Owner description: Yellowstone Wildlife Sanctuary is the only public refuge in Montana to house native animals that cannot be returned to the wild due to injury or habituation to humans. We care for over 40 animals and birds, many placed here by Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife & Parks, including wolves, mountain lions, black bears, bison, elk, bobcat, fox, coyote, eagles, hawks, owls and many more. The sanctuary offers visitors an unparalleled chance to learn about these and other animals by observing them at close range and through interpretive displays.
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“come and meet the animals of montana”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

take the time to stop and enjoy the value of this sanctuary. this is a place u can preview and educate yourself on the wildlife of montana.
after paying a small fee the staff gave us cards explaining each animal and there story... off we went.... me and my 85 year old well traveled dad...we walked the path and stopped at each enclosure... read the info, took pictures and discussed each animal...are timing was perfect because the staff was feeding...THIS IS A OUTSTANDING PLACE...the animal stories will pull on your heart...but because of the passionate staff the animals are living out there lives in excellent care...sure they need upgrades but that where visitors and compassionate people can kick in...

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Rannadannado

Northern Virginia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Nice Place if You're in Red Lodge”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

My children love animals, so while we were staying in Red Lodge, we spent about 90 minutes at the wildlife sanctuary.

While my review might only be average, I wanted to say that the work the Sanctuary does is fantastic. They are wonderful people doing much needed work to take care of animals in need. Some were surrendered by owners and some rescued in the wild.

The only reason I rated this as average was that it was difficult to see many of the animals, mainly because of the characteristics of the animals themselves. Some are nocturnal or just plain shy. So many times when we passed an exhibit for a mountain lion or other animal, we didn't see anything.

The bears were out and about, as were the wolves. They were very nice to see. My son and daughter loved the miniature horses and donkeys.

If you're not staying in Red Lodge, I'm not sure I'd recommend a long drive to visit, but if you're staying on the northern side of Yellowstone and didn't see a bear or wolf in the park, you can take the amazing drive on the Beartooth Highway over to Red Lodge and see both.

Visited August 2013
San Juan, Puerto Rico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Yellowstone”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

The northeast part of Yellowstone is much less crowded during the summer months than the more popular NW or Teton entrances. The Lamar valley has all the animals and less traffic you will not be disappointed

Visited July 2013
Lake Tapps, WA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Good ride”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

Road construction that hampered our travels as we were on a schedule but still a great motorcycle ride.

Visited August 2013
Jackson, Wyoming
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 100 helpful votes
“I was disappointed.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

I had heard so much about this place and when I arrived; I was so disappointed...There were lots of animal enclosures; but the animals were in hiding....I saw only 6 animals....I don't think I will go back...It might have been a bad day for the animals like we people have...but I was impressed....Sorry....

Visited July 2012