“Worth a visit just to support the sanctuary”

Yellowstone Wildlife Sanctuary
Ranked #2 of 25 things to do in Red Lodge
More attraction details
Owner description: Yellowstone Wildlife Sanctuary is the only public refuge in Montana to house native animals that cannot be returned to the wild due to injury or habituation to humans. We care for over 40 animals and birds, many placed here by Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife & Parks, including wolves, mountain lions, black bears, bison, elk, bobcat, fox, coyote, eagles, hawks, owls and many more. The sanctuary offers visitors an unparalleled chance to learn about these and other animals by observing them at close range and through interpretive displays.
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I love to visit these types of places, where animals that cannot survive in the wild are given refuge. While they are not always the best appointed places, they are always worth the visit for me. YWS was about average for this type of place. They operate on very small budgets and appreciate all donations. We saw a good selection of wildlife. Of particular note were the bison and bears. We visited right after lunch, so the midday sun was pretty hot, and many of the animals were hiding in the shade. I love reading the stories associated with each animal.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I have visited this wildlife refuge for the past 5 years. I visited there about 2 weeks ago, and I was impressed with the cleanliness and beauty of the place. I particularly liked the bears. Please consider a stop at this sanctuary if you are in the Red Lodge area.

Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

This is a wonderful place that is doing great things for the animals of this region. We get to see coyotes, bears, buffalo, among other animals. We have twin eight-year-old girls who love coming here. It's a wonderful place for a quiet walk that allows you to appreciate the local wildlife. Moreover, the admission fee goes to a great cause

Reviewed 9 April 2014

The wild cats at Yellowstone wildlife sanctuary are incredible... Sacajawea "mountain lion", is an amazing predator to see up close... This place is far better than any zoo or sanctuary in Montana... I go every year and will continue to do so...Wolves,coyotes,eagles,owls,cranes,buffalo,elk, fox, racoons,lynx,bobcat, and a mountain lion... I sure do miss Lewis and Clark!!!

1  Thank Drake_Legg
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

Even when it was windy and chilly, we still had a great time walking around seeing all of the animals. Harry the magpie likes to chat and their bobcat is absolutely adorable! Had a great time!