“Good value for the area”
Review of Red Eagle Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saint Mary
Red Eagle Motel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Saint Mary
Alamogordo, New Mexico
“Good value for the area”
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We stayed here 3 nights on a 2 week trip to Glacier. The location is excellent - a very central location for the entire eastern side of Glacier and Waterton National parks. The room was clean, very basic, but comfortable. No breakfast, no coffee, ice was minimal in the office. However, it is the best value in the area. Be sure to try Johnson's Cafe next door - the 162 was really good!

Room Tip: Be sure to request a refrigerator when you make the reservation
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ChuckBrooks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Grass Valley, California
Reviewed 28 August 2011

We couldn't decide which title to use, the other would have been "RIGHT OUT OF A HITCHCOCK MOVIE!!"" . . . . . I am not even sure where to start.
This room was scary, weird, and somewhere none of us would ever stay again. We had plans on going to Waterton and returning back that same day and needed to say in that area. We couldn't afford the $250 a night at the great St Mary lodge (wow was it nice), and didn't know about the KOA campground that had darling cabins until the next day. I guess we made a quick decision that was one to regret.

The room we stayed had queen beds, with double bed blankets, and I wonder if the towels we used were even laundered prior to our visit. I don't think the shower was cleaned prior and the curtain was moldy. There were spiders here and there, although we tried to take their numbers down.

The ceiling was maybe 7 ft tall, and there was this very odd pole in the center of the room, that went up through the ceiling and we have no explanation on that one. There was a door in our room which opened into an unfunished basement with stairs leading to . . . we don't know where. It bothered us so badly we stacked our luggage in front of that mystery door.

I have no complaints about the comfort of the mattress as it was decent, although the furnishings looked like they were garage sale specials or worse. The view was spectaluar but we just wanted to sleep and leave, as the place was so bad . . . EITHER SPLURGE FOR THE ST. MARY'S or sleep in your car!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank PLL2011
Havre, Montana
Reviewed 25 August 2011

This is our 2nd stay at the Red Eagle Motel & Cabins during 10 years. Not much change. It is ok because there is not much choice in ST. Mary's for Motels..You either stay at the Motor Lodge which very inflated prices or the Red Eagle..It is a little on the crude side, the room we had was #7 queen bed was so so..the floor was slanted and bathroom small, looks like fixtures out of a 1970's mobile home? It was clean just well used. Staff was friendly. Is ok for over night stay but spending any spare time there would be trying. I think the rate is high for what you get...but then again you either pay it or travel on because no other choices.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Channel Islands
Reviewed 24 August 2011

We booked here in advance as we did not have time to read some of the reviews. It is situated on a hill as you approach the lake. It all looked ok, bit once inside it was a different story. The room was clean, furniture very old, the fan provided was broken, there was no air-conditioning , the bed felt as if I was sleeing on a slope and could roll off any minute, the whole floor was uneven. The shower was a nightmare, very hot water comming out of the cold water tap and even hotter water from the warm water tap. We drove all day, yet showering a basic necessity was not possible. The view was stunning, but this is all this place had going for it. Was about $75. We could have slept in our car....... Stay here, but eat and shower elsewhere!

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Jinxi
greensburg, PA
Reviewed 15 August 2011

My husband booked this hotel for us for 4 nights......without checking out tripadvisor. Granted there are not many choices in St. Mary's......but the minute I walked up the worn out fake grass carpeted stairs to our room I wanted to go home! The room is slanted and messes up your equilibrium just walking around the room. The furnishings are mismatched and dirty. When we arrived the commode was dirty with a reddish mold growing in the bowl. Even though the sink had two knobs for water, one marked H and the other C, like every other faucet in existence........each knob only delivered boiling hot water!!?? To brush our teeth we had to fill up one of their disposable cups with boiling water and wait for it to cool down enough so that we would not burn our mouths. The shower was the same......only boiling water. Though if you waited long enough the shower water would go from boiling to bearable..... to ice cold... to back to boiling......with no explanation. In order to shower you would have to hope you could soap up and rinse off real quickly before the water temperature became unbearable......which was only a matter of seconds.
After the first night I went to the office to report the dirty commode, the boiling water from the sink's cold and hot knobs, as well as the shower's inability to maintain a safe comfortable temperature. The lady at the desk commented that she was surprised that the commode was dirty as she had her best cleaner clean that room (very comforting from my point of view!!). She wrote down my complaints. She told me to get cold water from the sink I would have to let it run for 10 minutes for it to cool down.??

When we returned the commode was clean. I tried letting the water run to get it to cool down, but only received hot water from the cold water knob. I dreaded using the shower and sink my entire stay.

We used our smartphone to check out tripadvisor's reviews of this place after we realized how bad this place was within minutes of checking in. My husband and I laughed in complete agreement of the reviews that told of the horrible experiences with this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
fresno
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Stayed at the Red Eagle Lodge before and after a big hike in Glacier. There were 2 choices in St Mary, with the other venue charging big bucks, so we opted for the Red Eagle. While the place needs some work and cleaning up, it suited my needs perfectly. They helped us with some transportation issues, and even allowed us to leave our car there while backpacking in the park. With outstanding views out over the valley at the east entrance to Glacier National Park, this is a good budget option in the expensive lodging areas in and around the park

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank ks404
Lethbridge
Reviewed 11 July 2011

We were really excited to find a place to stay for the Canada Day (July 1) for our hiking adventures in Glacier Park. We had gone in person 3 weeks prior to our trip as we had been dayhiking the day we booked. We were able to look at a room and thought it would be okay as our upcoming trip was full of hikes and all we wanted was a comfortable place to sleep for the four nights we had booked the motel room for. The innkeeper "Stu" wrote our name in the reservation book for the room we wanted for the four nights we requested...we were ecstatic!!! However, when we arrived on June 30 as planned we were told that our reservation was no where to be found, in fact our name had been erased completely!!!! The BS story we were given was there were some changes made (no kidding) and "the girl had made some changes" In fact the room that we had specifically requested had the last name of someone else, the spelling was a bit different but not muchdifferent than ours. Anyways.... question is why was our name completely erased???? Now to start with the room....Holy Moly... what a dive!!! To put it in a nutshell... the floor slopes downward badly, the bed was not a queen...it was a double, the fridge stunk and had water all over...which by the way we cleaned...we had to in order to feel comfortable about putting our food in it. There was no water pressure to speak of no matter what time or day PLUS the water was either ARCTIC COLD or SCALDING HOT...the top of my head (and I have extremely thick hair) became scalded with my first shower...which by the way the shower is tiny and the shower head is LOW. I am 5 ft 6 inches and not a fat/big person and there is nowhere to move to get out of the way of the shower from --- nor to stand up, my husband is 5 ft 11 inches and had to bend to get under the shower head!! I absolutely could not move fast enough or become a beanpole every time the water temperature changed plus my feet had a bad itch for 1 week after staying at this hotel....fungas/parasites in the room...maybe. The last time I had that bad of a foot itch was from Mexico about 13 years ago. The alarm clock never worked. The power for the fridge is by access of the light switch by the door BUT if you want to keep your fridge on and turn the hanging lamp off you will have to unplug the lamp because the lamp and the fridge on the same wire. The TV was figity and hard to operate as it simply would not allow us to control it once it was turned on....is there an unknown entity residing in it??? The "innkeepers" never had the fridge ready which is usually standard for rooms with fridges, nor were we even asked if we preferred a bigger fridge (most hotels/motels have the same standard size of fridges) some of the rooms had a bigger fridge...ours would barely be able to fit a 6 pack of beer. My husband had to sleep on the floor TWICE because the bed sags in the middle BADLY. We were so sore and tired because of the crappy sleep...or what little sleep we had as the walls are also paper thin and you hear EVERYTHING!!!

Room Tip: Book somewhere else, this place is way to much money for what you get!!!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
#3 of 10 in East Glacier Park
Many Glacier Campground
Many Glacier Campground
#3 of 7 in Glacier National Park

Been to Red Eagle Motel? Share your experiences!