“A throwback in time to maybe the 60's.”
Review of Red Eagle Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saint Mary
Red Eagle Motel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Saint Mary
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Hasn't been updated since then! Booked here only because I could find nothing else. The price was right but the quality was missing. Too bad because The Johnson's Cafe next door was really tasty. It was like a dining museum. It was built in early 1950's and is still run by the family. It was interesting how people from all over the world had stopped there and many returned years later because it was such a unique experience. We enjoyed the cafe. The Red Eagle Motel is not run by the Johnson Family.

Room Tip: I don't think there were any good rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 14 July 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights while we went to Glacier National Park and Canada. We checked out the lodge down the road and they only had one room and we needed 2 it was to expensive anyway $289 per night. So we went to the Red Eagle. We should have asked to see the rooms before we checked in. It was not worth the $96 a night. They had no ice machine or coffee in the room or office. We went into the room and it was very run down, 2 double beds, the floor sloped away from the door and it was not very clean. We tried the tv and it would not work so we went to the office and she said she had just bought 5 new tv's and brought us one of them. She tried to hook it up and it wouldn't play. She then told me to try and I was on my own hooking it up, I finally got it to work. It only gets worse from here the water in the sink was just a trickle and no hot water, you had to turn the hot water on in the tub to get hot water in the sink still just a trickle. The shower was just luke warm. The walls were paper thin we could hear the couple next door snoring all night. To top it off the office hours are 8am to 8pm if they show up at all. The one good thing is the owner is friendly but I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MissouriGambler
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I ended up here because of my own error in booking elsewhere. Since it was the height of the tourist season, this was the only place in St. Mary with a vacancy. That should have told all I needed to know, but I was desperate. Heading to my second-floor room, I could see that portions of the balcony were built from unpainted plywood. Another clue. The room was dirty, the floor was uneven and seemed to slope. Worse, the shower ran one speed -- dribble -- and the temperature could not be adjusted. It ran from lukewarm to slightly warmer.

Can't find a room in St. Mary. Drive on or sleep in your car.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank idahospudz
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Stayed for a night on a rainy day. Got a room with 2 double beds. Room was very musty and the beds were lumpy. Out-dated furnishings. The walls had a very unusual slant to them. There aren't many budget options for hotels in the area. This place is basically one small step above tent camping. The location is great (just outside Glacier National Park). The view from the front door is awesome (just look in the opposite direction of the room).

We wouldn't have spent any time in the room if the weather was better. If its not a thunderstorm the Red Eagle wouldn't have been worth the $100/night.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Everything inside the park was closed. The lodge down the road wanted far too much so we checked out the Red Eagle before heading into the park, whcih turned out to be prudent as it filled up later that evening. Going through my tick list. Clean; it passed. Comfortable; well my bed had a slight lean to the mattress.Location; a big tick here. wifi no. laundry; down the hill at the R V park.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bob-Carol-Pinjarra
Reviewed 15 September 2011

We stayed here the night before heading into Glacier for a 5-night backpacking trip. It was pretty old and gross and expensive, but the staff was very nice. Overall, there's really not much right next to the park, so you just kind of have to deal with it. There's a fancier lodge near the entrance as well, but that's not really what the trip was about for us, so the Red Eagle was just fine and since its up on a hill, the views were stunning.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank leelerbug0294
Reviewed 14 September 2011

This motel is about the only reasonable place to stay in St. Mary - and it's pricey $96.30 per nite. It is old and definitely needs updating, bathroom sink produced only a trickle of water so was not usuable, shower was okay. Place was fairly clean, but nothing special at all.
The room was extremely small.
Johnson's Restaurant next door was good and convenient.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family

Been to Red Eagle Motel? Share your experiences!