“A Perfectly Charming and Rustic Mountain Getaway”
Review of Silver Gate Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Silver Gate
Silver Gate Cabins
Chicago, Illinois
“A Perfectly Charming and Rustic Mountain Getaway”
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Silvergate, MT is a quaint town located just a mile from the NE entrance to YNP. Silvergate Cabins is the best place to stay, if you wish to take in all that this part of the country offers: gorgeous mountain views, an abundance of wildlife, and that sense of hospitality only found in a small town like this. The staff is incredibly generous in their advice, friendly in conversation, and full of knowledge about the area. The cabin I stayed in had all the amenities one would need (comfy bed, kitchenette, bathroom) and the always important cleaniness factor was a five star. It even included a porch with chairs to take in the beautiful scenery, which I took full advantage of at night (the stars here are amazing). There was a campfire at the general store each night which allowed for great conversation with the locals and other guests. The general store has some essential grocery items, but if you are planning on doing the cooking yourself, you might want to pick up groceries on the way. If not, there is the Log Cabin Cafe across the street that has amazing breakfast, lunch, and dinner menus. Beware that there is no cellphone service or internet connection. I find that this reclusive element is almost therapeutic, because it allows you to temporarily disconnect from your stresses and immerse yourself in the moment. All in all, this was one of the best trips I've taken and I will be coming back for years!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Laura P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
denver
Reviewed 26 October 2011

What a peaceful, rustic, and beautiful place! This is truly a little piece of Heaven. If you enjoy looking out your kitchen window and seeing a bison, this place is for you. If you enjoy friendly people, this place is for you. If you enjoy beautiful mountain scenery right outside of Yellowstone, this place is for you. Maddie and Henry are 2 of the most wonderful people you will ever encounter. They will do anything and everything to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. Maddie, especially, will go out of her way, even if she isn't working, to make guests comfortable. She even entertained my 6 children while I had a little coffee break! WOW! Henry is quite the character and he will make you smile every time you see him. He loves to dance outside by the fire at night, so keep your eyes peeled for that. Keep your eyes open for bears and bison, as well! You won't regret going here!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank CarolineP148
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 12 October 2011

If I would have only stayed one night here I would have a different review. I have always thought of myself being the kind of person that could "rough" it. When I say rough" it, I mean no TV, no internet, and no telephone. These cabins are by no means rough. The beds are very comfortable (ask for more pillows, they only give you one ), the shower is hot with great water pressure, the heater is perfect, and there is a stainless steel full size fridge and stove.But, no microwave. We purchased groceries in Billings.
We stayed in Whispering Pines #10 "The Love Shack" It sits apart from the other cabins and it is very close to the creek. We get up at 5:00 am every morning and get into the park (which is only a few miles down the road). We did not get back until 7 pm. So neighbors are not a good thing for us because we get up so early.
We had a bison laying next to our cabin one night, a little red fox looking for handouts (don't feed the animals) and saw white mountain goats and a moose just inside the entrance. We saw wolves everyday in Lamar Valley. Thanks to Doug! for suggesting we rent the spotting scope. Which by the way are a steal at 30$/day they are 3300 dollar scopes. Rent the camera with it. Once you figure it out you get some amazing pictures.
The town of Silver Gate is very small and this is only a seasonal town so do not come here if you are expecting a "posh" cabin resort.
That is precisely why it stole my heart. After I got over my shock of being without technology I started to love the quiet at night, the million stars in the sky, the quiet friendliness of the locals, and I can't get this place out of my head.
The staff are great. BOB was wonderful we looked forward to stopping by the general store every night. I made my call to family (they let you call long distance for free from their phone but if someone has to run a credit card you have to get off). My husband had a beer on the front porch of the store each night. The store is so cute! We enjoyed our talks with Bob and he was very helpful. Henry the owner gave us some good advice on our trip back to Billings and we had a great drive. The only gripe that I had was the housekeeping staff, they sat outside in front of the general store every night drinking beer (doesn't look very good). They didn't clean our room for three days and we asked for extra towels and pillows and they didn't bring them. The manager Maddie (she was great) had to come and bring them herself at 8:00 at night. After that there were no problems. But, this will not stop me from coming again because this place really sticks with you and there is no where else that you can stay so close to the park! Cooke City is a few miles up the road and they have some places to eat but very limited and expensive.

Room Tip: Just call doug the reservations manager he is wonderful and he will steer you in the right direction...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dubgirl11
Reviewed 15 September 2011

The management was really superb and kind. We stayed three nights at the Schoolhouse and were pleased. If you are looking for complete privacy, I maybe wouldn't pick that cabin but since we were up everyday at 5 and back after dark it was just what we needed. The place wasn't crowded by any means and was quiet at night. Two people were very comfortable inside the cabin; if a small family were to stay I think you could fit a Pack 'n' Play in the corner without a problem. The small kitchenette had everything we needed for cooking our meals and packing our lunches. The shower stall was a little small (my husband is 6'1" and about 270) but once again doable. The bed and the bed linens were warm and so comfortable. We slept better here than any place else during our stay. We did not rent a scope the first day and regretted it immediately once we were inside the Park. There was so much wildlife to see and if you just have binoculars you are really missing out. We rented the scope the next day and made very good use of it while wolf watching. We hope to come back next year and stay at the same place as we much preferred the Canyon Village area and the Lamar Valley to the hot springs in the western part of the park. This was a far better value than staying inside the park; and a lot nicer too!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica H
San Diego, California
Reviewed 10 September 2011

We stayed here two nights and took advantage of the spotting scope rental (highly recommend!), got up and out at 0530a to follow Doug and the wolf biologist around. Nearly ran into a beautiful cinnamon-colored black (?) bear, saw a grizzly just after this incident feasting on fish in the river, saw the alpha female of the Lamar Valley Pack of wolves feasting on an elk that was freshly killed. We had a great trip, but our time at the Silver Gate Cabins and in the NE area of Yellowstone were the highlights of a two-week long adventure. There is no internet or cell phone access in Silver Gate which was a good thing for me; it forced me to remain more in the moment and enjoy my time with my family and the beautiful wildlife around me.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank carpecarpe7
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 14 August 2011

We stayed here for four nights and were immediately made to feel part of the Silver Gate family. The cabins are beautifully updated and everyone is so nice! Try the sauna....it will change your life. And hang out with the other travelers and the locals at the nightly fire. And then drive the mile or so into Yellowstone Park or go the other way and drive Beartooth Pass. This place was definitely a highlight of our 6-month trip across western USA. BTW, our dog was completely welcome too!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RosesRoadTrip
Rochester, Wisconsin
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Not knowing how well we would like Silver Gate Cabins or staying at the Northeast Gate of Yellowstone, we booked two nights here and two nights outside the east gate. Next year I am coming back to Silver Gate Cabins to show my husband my favorite area of Yellowstone. I was too late to make reservations inside Yellowstone, and now I am glad. I believe these are probably as nice as any other cabins, and the location is perfect, not so crowded as the rest of Yellowstone, but with all of the scenery and more animals than we saw anywhere else. The staff were all a delight! We didn't get in until late, but it was no problem. We had Silver Gate Cabin #2, which is one of the newly remodeled ones. It has a little covered porch where you can sit and see the mountains. It also has a grille, where we cooked our dinner, and two places for campfires nearby. When you enter the cabin, there is a comfortable double bed on each side of the door, then a dining table, then a full kitchen with stove and refrigerator, but no microwave. The bathroom had a single shower. Cabin was very comfortable, and location was very handy for getting around Yellowstone. We preferred traveling through the Hot Springs area of Yellowstone to taking the very winding road, but still found it convenient for seeing everything. Plus, we saw bears, buffalo herds, big horn sheep, antelope, elk, and a wolf while traveling the road between the loop and the northeast gate, many animals we did not see elsewhere in the park.

Room Tip: You might want to ask for one of the remodeled rooms.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
#6 of 6 in Cooke City
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
#2 of 17 in Yellowstone National Park

Been to Silver Gate Cabins? Share your experiences!