“Somers Spectacular”

Outlook Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 2 Somers B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We spent two wonderful nights here and enjoyed every aspect of our stay. Easily, the best view we've had at any B&B for quite a while. Hostesses were wonderful and very helpful. Rooms are inviting, breakfast is delicious, and coffee on their deck with a view of Flathead Lake is incomparable. Thank you for a great time. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the south have a tremendous view of Flathead Lake and numerous docked sailboats. Espec...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed here and was quite unimpressed. The view of the lake was nice and the hired help for the summer, Courtney was very kind, however the owners themselves were lacking. During a 4 day stay our room never once had the bed made and even though on the 3rd day all of our towels were left on the floor as instructed so we could receive new ones, we returned that evening to still find wet, now mildewing towels on the floor. No surprise that the owners did not ensure our room was cleaned up with fresh towels as we happened to see them at the local bar that night, though they did not care to say hello.

During our stay the owners also frequently had guests over, whom along with them, at times reeked of booze and made us seem like we were just in their way and inconvenience.

The walls were pretty thin and our last 2 nights there we were kept awake due to someone in the room over snoring. Not trying to be picky, it literally sounded like he was in the room with us. Just because someone snores in another room we shouldn't have to use earplugs and play white noise sounds to drown it out. One night when I did manage to fall asleep I awoke to a beetle bug crawling on me. I wasn't sure what it was that night but realized once I saw two more in the bathroom the next morning.

Some of the breakfasts were good but there wasn't always enough food.

The only real positive experience we had was the owners hired help for the summer, "Courtney". She was very hospitable and seemed to do her best to pick up where the owners lacked (which seemed to be everywhere except the part where they chose to hire her). We feel sorry for this poor girl having to work with the owners.

We would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 951Jack
MontanaMichelle, Owner at Outlook Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Hello all,
Thank you, Jack for your review of our place. We value everyone’s opinion and in this case would like to address some of your issues so future guests will not have the same problems you experienced.
I have been in business for 17 years, we are so small, you really can’t even call us a “Mom and Pop” shop because Mom’s the only one here (Pop works out of state alot). We currently host about 700 people within about a 4-5 month time frame as the Glacier National Park region is quite seasonal. During the high season we work up to 16 hours per day, 7 days a week to ensure the business runs smoothly and that our guests have the best experience they can possibly have. As the client base has grown, this is the first year I have hired a live in manager. I am so glad you liked Courtney! It is true that while you stayed with us I was not working. Courtney and I play tag team so when she works, I’m usually not working and when I work, she gets some much needed rest. That probably explains why you didn’t see much of me.
Now let’s see if we can’t help figure this out.
In each room we have a sign posted in the bathroom stating what our daily room checks entail. We check towels, empty the garbage, refill TP and cup dispensers. We do not usually make beds unless a guest requests that and that is stated on the sign in the bathroom as well as the welcome book in each room. We are very happy to make a bed every day but request that you ask for that as we have learned from our guests over the years that most do not want beds made. I am so sorry your towels were not exchanged when they were placed on the floor. It is our policy to change towels that have been placed on the floor and this was an unfortunate oversight. Please do call our home phone or come on upstairs and talk to Courtney or myself and we will immediately correct the situation. As humans we do make mistakes and that was definitely a mistake.
Somers is a quaint community with just one bar/restaurant, a hardware store and post office within walking distance. I am so sorry I did not acknowledge you at our local watering hole, but I honestly did not see you there. I hate to say it, but I do need to wear my glasses more often! If you are farther than 10 feet away, and the lights are dim I won’t recognize you even if you are a close friend. Luckily, I have purchased some jewelry making materials and plan to make a glasses holder so I can wear them around my neck and use my glasses when needed! Also, if a guest ever sees me anywhere out in public please do come over to say hello. If you would have said hello that night we would have invited you to join us for pizza (even when I am not working, I am always happy to visit).
The Outlook Inn is a business but it is also our home, so on occasion we do entertain friends and family. Guests are always welcome to join in and many times it enhances a guest experience because they get a chance to get to know the locals. On the night you are referring to, we had planned a picnic at the lake, but we were rained out. We moved it up to the house from 5pm to 7pm. I did not have a drink that night, but I do believe one bottle of wine was split between 4-5 people. There were 8 of us for dinner. I am so sorry that you did not feel comfortable enough to visit with us. I will make a point of inviting future guests to join us if we see them. The more the merrier! We do offer iced tea, lemonade and water for our guests. One of my favorite things to do is visit with Outlook Inn guests on our deck overlooking the lake. Often times we will have a glass of wine or an ice tea and just enjoy the evening. But I have never known anyone here to be intoxicated. If you experience that and are uncomfortable, please let me know.
I am also very sorry you did not have a good night’s sleep. That is so important. I know I cannot function if I don’t get to sleep. If there is ever a problem with your room and you would like to be moved, please let us know and we will happily make that happen. If we are unable to move you because we are full, we will refund your night’s stay. In this case, Courtney was not aware of this until we read your review. Communication is so key to ensuring a pleasant stay.
You mentioned tiny beatles. It is true that Montana is a buggy place! Fortunately, none are harmful. I can assure you that we thoroughly clean and disinfect every room before and after every stay. We also do a “sweep” of cleaned rooms before people check in to ensure they are sparkling. But on occasion you may see a bug. Let us know and we will remove it immediately.
As far as breakfast goes, in our 17 years of operation, we have never had anyone mention that our portion sizes are small. Most people say they eat breakfast here and don’t have to eat lunch later. Most of our food is locally sourced and natural, including items from our garden and the mountains around us. Courtney said she had left overs every day of your stay. If there is a certain food you would like more of, just ask because Courtney and myself love to cook and would be more than happy to accommodate! We can also easily accommodate special needs when it comes to food preferences or allergies.
In closing, always talk to us during your stay if there are any questions or concerns. It is our goal to make you comfortable, well fed and happy. Jack, please do call us for a complimentary gift certificate for one night and let us show you how important you are and how valuable your opinion is. Have a great day and hope to see you soon.
Michelle
Owner, Outlook Inn B&B

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We are locals and my wife purchased a night here as part of a charitable auction. It is located on a bluff overlooking Somers Bay at the end of Flathead Lake and offers a terrific view of the lake and the Mission Mountains. The rooms are small but very comfortable and have access to a ground level patio. The communal area was cozy with a fireplace and deck access. Check out the great photos already posted. We were there in the winter and the road was pretty steep and Icy, we had no difficulty but also had all wheel drive. It isn't far off the highway, but road noise wasn't an issue. The breakfast was excellent. The location is great for exploring the Flathead Lake area and accessing the public boat ramp and facilities of Somers Beach. It would be a bit less convenient for excursions to Glacier Park or Whitefish Mountain Ski resort than staying further north.

One of the best attributes of the place is that it is run by longtime locals who can give you intimate insights into things to do in the Flathead, which you would have a hard time discovering on your own.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank esoteric_1
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We were met by Michelle and spring birds at the Outlook B&B. The birds were busy at feeders overlooking a spectacular view of Flathead Lake. Our room, the Honeymoon Suite, had its own patio for use on summer days. Michelle was wonderful at rearranging the breakfast for my spouse's Heartsmart diet. We had a great sleep. The town of Somers is a short drive from Kalispell, MN, and well worth the drive.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 122Peta
Reviewed 5 December 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Honeymoon Suite at Outlook Inn and enjoyed every minute! The layout of the house is perfect; separated, more private spaces, large square footage still with a cozy feel. The breakfasts Michelle homemade for us each morning my husband still claims as "the best breakfast he's had in his whole life"! We had trouble leaving the house to explore during our vacation each day because the house was filled with enough to explore in itself! The views are incredible, the history was mounted on the walls, the entertainment room was super convenient and the hostess gave great tips on the area as we were trying to find a piece of beautiful Montana land! Thank you Michelle!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NIKKI S
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Michelle Ahern at Outlook BnB is a terrific innkeeper. Delicious breakfasts, including her green smoothie, hucklberry pancakes, info about the area, and the fantastic view of Flathead Lake, all in a package. Bookcase full of maps and hike info. Hospitality room for guests which has a fridge, microwave and more maps, a book trade shelf, two dogs, at least one cat, great light, comfortable, quiet and a front deck that can't be beat. Stayed in Native Son and had great light in the room. Excellent stay for my first weekend in Montana. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Native Son, since it's not under the upstairs deck, has nice light. They're all very comfy...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 September 2013

This was our first experience with a B&B, so we weren't sure what to expect. It was an excellent place to stay. Michelle is a great hostess. The view was stunning. It is a very relaxing atmosphere. Having the animals around was a plus. We enjoyed visiting with the other guests. There is a lot to explore from here, and we did a lot of that. The pictures really show the beauty of the Inn and the surroundings. I highly reccomend it!! Thank you Michelle for a great stay!!

Room Tip: Rooms are all nice.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Somers
Bridge Street Cottages
Flathead Lake Resort
Flathead Lake Resort
#4 of 8 in Bigfork
Bigfork Mountain Lake Lodge

Been to Outlook Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!