“great little weekend getaway”

Laughing Horse Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Swan Lake B&B and Inns
North Idaho
“great little weekend getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2008

My husband and I went to Laughing Horse Lodge for a weekend getaway. We had wanted to spend a fun, relaxing, and inexpensive weekend in Montana for our anniversary, and our main reason for choosing Laughing Horse Lodge was the food. We wanted to be able to relax in our room, travel to nearby hiking areas, and enjoy gourmet/organic food without having to search for it. We were not disappointed! Kathleen served us absolutely wonderful meals: huckleberry-peach pancakes, perfectly-done steak, and salad with wasabi dressing were among our favorites during our few days there. And my husband was delighted by the Moose Drool on tap! Because we were the only visitors during our stay in early May, it felt like we had our own private cabin, but with a gourmet chef at our service!

The lodge itself is separated from the eight guest rooms by a small courtyard, and the rooms are small but very comfortable, with beautiful varieties of wood and country decor. It's rustic, but not in the cheesy, overdone kind of way; rather, it is tastefully designed and decorated and has just-right touches of elegance and class. As travelers who are happy in a tent but who also relish the luxury of a four-star hotel, we found that the Laughing Horse Lodge was suitable not just as a place to stay, but really as a place to linger and relax, much in the same way that some might enjoy relaxing at a guest ranch type bed and breakfast. Kathleen made us feel very welcome, offered great conversation, and truly gave us the royal treatment.

One thing to note: there are a few friendly dogs, a cat, and a parrot on the premises, so I wouldn't recommend it for someone who doesn't like animals. We do, though, and we found ourselves wishing that we had our dog along, as the lodge is pet-friendly (although clean and I would never have guessed that our room ever had guests with pets).

• Liked — wonderful food, relaxing atmosphere, comfortable bed
  • Disliked — obnoxiously loud bathroom fan and funky room heater (just old)
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank walkingbygrace

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Hamilton, MT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2008

My husband and I stayed at Laughing Horse Lodge over Memorial Day weekend 2008. We had a wonderful time. The lodge is located close to many hiking trails and right across from Swan Lake. Our room (3) was immaculate and inviting. The grounds were decorated beautifully with a garden and seating with shade. Our favorite part of the trip was the cuisine. Breakfast and dinner (with an optional packed lunch) is provided at the main lodge and served by a friendly staff in an inviting and warm environment. Kathleen, the cook and owner, is amazing. Everything she served was carefully prepared and delicious. My husband and I have lived in many parts of the world, and Kathleen’s cooking competes (if not surpasses) some of our favorite restaurants in Chicago, Vancouver, Paris, and London. Not only is the food selection varied and wonderful, Kathleen’s selection of beer and wine is outstanding as well. My husband and I would highly recommend staying at Laughing Horse Lodge.

• Liked — The warm and inviting owner and staff.
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2008

The Laughing Horse Lodge is AWESOME! Cute, Cozy, and Clean. It is right out of the nostalgic past. The owner is terrific, wonderful and fun... I am so glad I stayed.
I wish I had not spend so many days at another Motel which was more expensive and downright dirty... I could have stayed here longer !

Rooms are very comfortable. Beds and linens too! You can tell Kathleen has worked hard to make the Lodge into a top notch stay. I will be back...

• Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2008

My husband lucked into this place while on our honeymoon. We were tired and hungry and were welcomed in and given drinks while a room was prepared. The owner, Kathleen, does all the cooking and the food was just fantastic and gourmet. She and her colleagues come around and socialize and obviously love what they do. The room was all rustic wood-- very lodgy and cozy. The courtyard was filled with wonderful sculptures and plants. And the lodge's dog and cat mascots roamed around and socialized too. It was a really special experience-- beautiful scenery and accommodations and super friendly to people and pets!

Stayed May 2007
New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2007

My husband and I are from Albuquerque, NM and we were traveling around the Flathead Valley because we'd like to relocate here. We stayed at bed and breakfasts because they are more personable and we wanted to get to know locals. Kathleen's bed and breakfast was by far our favorite. Beautiful location, sweet rooms, fabulous food! (we totally recommend going there for breakfast, lunch and dinner!), Kathleen was so helpful and friendly, she really gave us a homey feeling. She recommended some great hikes and even trusted us to take her dog, Nikki, with us! We loved it and will be back!

• Liked — Great food, sweet rooms, we were treated very well
  • Disliked — Our bed was a little too hard
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2007

My wife and I stayed at Laughing Horse in late September 2007. It's a comfortable, relaxing lodge. The food is wonderful (the big baked chocolate chip cookie is amazing) and the owner is engaging, well travelled and worldly. We had several very interesting conversations on several topics.

If you're looking for a place to kick back and relax and enjoy intelligent and witty conversation, this is the place. If you're lucky, Samson (the African gray parrot) may talk to you.

• Liked — The ambience
  • Disliked — We had to leave.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OPTrekker
Great Falls, MT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2007

My husband and I have actually stayed at the Laughling Horse Lodge several times most recently in October 2007. Obviously, we enjoyed our visit enough to return and return and return.
The locale is most scenic, the recreational opportunities plentiful, the food wonderful, and the host most engaging and delightful. We have not only recommended the Laughling Horse to acquaintances, but to freiends and family as well. The guest rooms may be small, but are nicely done with a western motif and are clean and comfortable. Our dining experiences have been interesting, nicely presented and foremostly enjoyable. Kathleens culinary abilities are exceptional as is her offering of a wine list.
By Kate in Great Falls

• Liked — The valley setting.
  • Disliked — The lack of modern amenities (TV, radio, phone in room), but that is not all bad.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Bigfork
Candlewycke Inn B&B
Candlewycke Inn B&B
#2 of 9 in Bigfork

Been to Laughing Horse Lodge? Share your experiences!