“Some great, some not so great”

Laughing Horse Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Swan Lake B&B and Inns
Denver, Colorado, United States
“Some great, some not so great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

We booked two nights at the Laughing Horse as the centerpiece of our honeymoon, especially looking forward to the Montana Feast four-course tasting menu. The feast turned out great, but here's what happened first:

We were cutting it close getting to the lodge on time for dinner, so we called ahead. Turns out that when my wife called in the reservation several months earlier and spoke with the owner at length, making it clear it was our honeymoon, the reservation was apparently not made or somehow lost. Rather than being apologetic, my wife felt she was treated as an inconvenience. We did, in fact, make it on time for dinner, and the owner found a room for us. Not as nice as the one we booked, but if nothing else was left, fine. We were just happy to be there.

The dinner and wine were spectacular, and the atmosphere was nice. Each course was accompanied by an excellent wine, and the staff was happy to top off glasses. Overall, we thought it was worth the $100 a head price for the feast and it was a wonderful end to our long trip from Colorado to Montana. The two breakfasts we had after that were also delicious.

Our room was cozy and a bit rustic, which we expected. The sink was minuscule, yet still managed to crowd the small room, and the bathroom was a bit underdone. The walls are paper thin (we could hear the man in the room next to us snoring). On our second day, our doorknob malfunctioned, the owner couldn't get it to work, and I had to crawl through the window. (She said she had installed it new earlier in the summer and that was the second time it had jammed--maybe don't buy the cheapest doorknob at the hardware store?) Again, we're fine with rustic, and under normal circumstances this wouldn't be bothersome. But knowing it's our honeymoon and after losing our reservation, the hospitable thing to do would have been to move us to a better room on the second night when it was clear that the place wasn't full. This was only more obvious to us after the doorknob malfunction. Further, the website advertises a library and TV room, but when we tried to visit the library/TV room in the main lodge just before 9:00 we found the door locked - written policy notes that it's available until 10:00.

The owner noted in response to another negative review that guests should be comfortable in identifying problems so they can be fixed. We didn't raise a stink, but I don't feel that we should have to request an upgrade or ask for something to make the stay more special when there were problems that were already apparent. Good customer service means fixing problems and making up for them adequately without being asked, especially when it's a special occasion such as ours.

One more caveat. The lodge is explicit about this, and we're pet people, so it's fine with us. But be aware that the resident dogs and bird pretty much reside in the dining area, in case that's something you're not comfortable with.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

We spent one night at the Laughing Horse Lodge. However, I wish that we could have stayed longer. The rooms were comfortable and well decorated and there was a delightful porch to sit on and enjoy the night. We had a five star dinner of salmon and a huckleberry and peach cobbler with ice cream and whipped cream. Breakfast was French toast stuffed with huckleberries, fruit and sausage. Kathleen, the owner, is cordial and informative about activities in the area. She works hard to make your stay enjoyable. North Carolina is far from the Laughing Horse Lodge but we would love to visit this gem of a place again.
Mimi and David from Charlotte,N.C.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Black Eagle, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

We booked our wedding & all the rooms at The Laughing Horse Lodge! The rooms are very nice, quiet, a beautiful place for anything! Great outdoors seating, lots of activities to do if you choose! The food here was excellent! CHEF quality! Great service, very nice staff that waits on you hand & foot! We can't say enough good things about Kathleen & how well she runs this great B&B ! We encourage everyone to stay here! You won't be disappointed! We will be going back again & again!

Room Tip: Room 2 & 3 have microwaves & fridges!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

We came from a 10 day trip in GNP and planned to stay at Big Fork the last night before flying out of Kalispell. However, we did not like Big Fork much...so we stumbled across Laughing Horse in Swan Lake thanks to Trip advisor :).
We enjoyed our short stay very much, the basic well decorated Montana cabin promised a good nights sleep, the self check in experience is a great and practical idea, the little court yard garden always seems to have some flowers at bloom, the pets around you are happy to indulge in a cuddle if you are so inclined and last but not least well travelled and well read Kathleen, who runs this little oasis of comfort and friendliness. At breakfast Kathleen had some time to sit and chat with us surrounded by all her animals. A lovely cosy experience and I had a hard time packing up and go.
We very much liked this place, but if you are not a pet lover this might not be for you as the dogs, the cat and the grey parrot Samson are pretty much part of this wonderful experience.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Somerset, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

Had a great 5 night stay at Laughing Horse Lodge that began July 25th. Met up with friends from all over the United States. A Penn State reunion if you will. My first time in Montana and the Laughing Horse far exceeded my expectations. Located across the highway from Swan Lake, the lodge was the perfect place to relax, visit and recharge the batteries. Kathleen and her staff made sure our stay was absolutly perfect. The rooms were great, the food was outstanding. The Osso Buco was the best ever, the wine wasn't bad either. What a hidden gem. I am grateful that my friend recommened the horse for our get together.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Stevensville, Montana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

I have stayed at the Laughing Horse Lodge 3 times in the last 4 years, and after my most recent visit I don't think my wife and I will be making a return trip. The rooms are still quaint and clean, the surroundings are beautiful, but the food quality has begun to slip. The first time we stayed at the Laughing Horse myself, my wife, and our friend were all amazed by the food. Long story short...the last time we had an evening meal there it was a disappointing experience to say the least. I don't know if the chef/owner has reduced her role in the kitchen, but the quality has gone down, and at $20-$35 for an entree, I expect a significantly better meal.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AverageMTGuy406
ForLoveOfGoldens, Owner at Laughing Horse Lodge, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Thank you B for your candid review. For fourteen years I have focused on exceeding my guests' expectations and I am sorry that I will not have you and G visiting again. I am very much still in the kitchen - knowing the importance of consistency and quality, and as a small business owner, I depend upon these reviews to help me see my property as my guests do. But it is even more important to be able to 'fix' any concerns my guests have at the time of their concern. During your future travels, please be comfortable in the knowledge that your hosts want to know immediately if there is a problem so that they may address it quickly and make your experience a happy one. Safe and happy travels to you both.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

Well, I had no idea how much I would enjoy my short stay here. The inn is immaculate, the landscaping and decorations are creative, the dogs are friendly and Kathleen is the best. Oh and the food is wonderful.

If you are looking for a place to stay in the area, skip Big Fork and go to straight to Laughing Horse Lodge.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Bigfork
Candlewycke Inn B&B
Candlewycke Inn B&B
#2 of 9 in Bigfork

Been to Laughing Horse Lodge? Share your experiences!