“Awesome Vacation!”
Review of Grey Cliffs Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Three Forks
Grey Cliffs Ranch
Ranked #2 of 3 Three Forks B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 June 2013

My husband and I just got back from our six day honey moon at the Grey Cliffs Ranch. It was everything we wanted. Chris helped us organize so many different activities - from fly fishing, to floating the Madison River, to shooting guns out on the ranch. He made all of it easy and fun. The resort itself is comfortable and luxurious. The bed was probably the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in.
Last but not least, the meals were superb. There is not a restaurant in town that can out-do Mike's dinners. We looked forward to them every night.
The week was fun and relaxing all at the same time. Thank you, GCR!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ReneeHessling

Reviewed 18 June 2013

This place is just awesome. We enjoyed every minute of our stay. The service and accommodations are 5 star (and we have stayed at a lot of 5 star spots). The location of the ranch is prime and is beautiful. We loved the fact it was 15 minutes of the main road down a gravel road. The fact that it is in the middle of no where just makes it that much better. We really liked Chris who was the manager/concierge/host all rolled into one. The chef, Mike, prepared incredible meals for each of our nights which were better than any restaurants from the rest of our vacation. The breakfasts were equally tasty and he even prepared some grits for us! He went out of his way to make it a great experience for the kids as well. The activities on the ranch were great including archery, skeet shooting, Jeep 4X4 tour of property and fly fishing. We were newbies at all of these, and Chris was a patient teacher for each of them. We also did a float down the Madison River for half a day and that was loved by all. Chris was really great with the kids as well and made sure that each one was able to catch a fish. Our kids (ages 6 and 9) just didn't want to leave. My only hesitation in the glowing review is the word is going to get out on this place but some secrets are meant to be told. Be prepared to relax and get away from it all and know you will not go wrong with Grey Cliffs Ranch.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank BelleReviewer
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Ultimate luxury. We visited this ranch as part of a drive through the national parks of North West America. The location is fabulous, there are acres of beautiful countryside where you can do as much or as little as you wish. We are interested in bird watching and saw so many different species including a bald eagles nest where the pair of birds would sit and watch us! Chris, who runs the place, is fun and relaxed, and intent on ensuring you have a good stay. Mike the chef cooked us two superb evening meals and equally good breakfasts, all activities and meals are catered to your needs. I have decided, after my visit, I'd like to take up fly fishing, just to pay Grey Cliffs another visit.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LizEMP
Reviewed 1 January 2013

It was one of Montana’s best-kept secrets nestled away in the hill country along the Madison River. The ranch opened to the public back in 2007, but it didn’t hold its grand opening until early 2008 when all the finishing touches were completed. The ranch is a 5000 acre deeded property with about an additional 2000 acres in leased land. Some of the land, only about 1,500 acres, is farmed but the majority of it is in a natural state for wildlife.

There is catch-and-release fishing on the ranch but you also have the Madison River only a few minutes away. There is upland bird hunting with pheasant, chucker and all the native Huns and sharp-tail grouse available. They also have deer and elk hunting available on a limited basis. There are many others things to do including hiking, horseback riding, wildlife watching and wildlife photography. It’s not unusual to see herds of several hundred deer or elk on the ranch. In winter you can snowshoe or cross country ski. When you get into the high country you can see the four mountain ranges that surround the ranch area. It’s a beautiful area where you can truly relax and unwind.

We had a fun-filled day with some great bird hunting. We also had some good laughs about the birds we missed. We had a pheasant that was hit hard, but not dead and all four of us were looking for it very intensely as were the two dogs. Something caught my attention and I looked up at what I thought was a large flock of song birds, they didn’t look that large. Someone else also saw them and didn’t think anything about them as well. When the birds were right in front and above us, we realized it was a huge covey of Huns. All the guns started to move and there was a lot of gunfire at the going-away birds, but not a bird dropped from the sky. We all looked at each other somewhat dumbfounded and burst out laughing. It took awhile to get over what had just happened. We did finally find the one we were looking for. We all ended up with a good mix of birds. Each one of us had either three or four birds.

The next time I was at the ranch was early in January of 2010. We just had over a foot of snow in Idaho Falls and a few days of single digit temperatures and when I got up to around Ennis, Montana, the temperature was 34 degrees, the skies were clear and the roads were clear and dry. I was expecting a foot of snow or more at the ranch and the ground was basically clear and dry. After a quick, small lunch, Chris, the ranch manager, and I headed out to one of the hunting areas with his dog, Katie. In the time since I was here last, Katie had matured into a first-class hunting dog.

We headed out to one of the areas that had very deep cover for the birds. After some walking, Katie went on point as Chris and I walked a little closer. The cock finally couldn’t take it any longer and tried to make his escape while Chris and I started to mount our guns. Chris got the first shot off and hit the bird but it didn’t go down and when the bird got clear of Chris I took my shot and hit the bird as well but it still kept going. We saw where it landed and backtracked to where the bird was and Katie quickly got the birds scent and went on point. When the bird took off it looked like it was just hanging there and when I shot the bird it took a couple of somersaults in the air before it hit the ground for the last time.

During the rest of the afternoon hunt I got three more birds, but one got away. It was hit hard but managed to maintain some gliding flight for awhile. We went to look for it and could not find it after seeing where it landed and searching for some fifteen minutes. After we started back to the truck Katie picked up a scent and took off on a diagonal run while Chris and I stayed on track to the truck. When Katie got to the base of the hill we saw her pick something up and then drop it and then came running back to us. Chris and I both thought the same thing. The bird we were just looking for didn’t go into the heavy cover where it landed; it doubled back to the hill close to where I shot it and died there. Thanks to Katie, I ended up with the four birds I shot.

Being that I was the only guest at the ranch, I decided to soak up some of the ambience of the lodge and get some writing done. The ambience at the ranch is great, especially when you have the whole place to yourself. The bedrooms are very comfortable and quiet. But lounge rooms and other areas are as great as well. One of my favourite places to stay in Montana. The chef was coming in that evening to cook dinner for Chris and I and I knew it was going to be a grand and memorable dinner. Chris himself is an excellent chef, so when “the chef” comes in you know it’s going to be even more impressive.

I was not disappointed. Tiffany started us off with a delicious squash, carrot and potato soup that was out of this world. Our salad was light and very tasty with some citrus that was a delight. The entrée was pheasant with a red wine and fig reduction glaze and polenta, and was without a doubt the very best pheasant I ever had; Chris agreed. And I have a few good recipes for pheasant myself. The dessert was as exceptional. It was a roasted pear sorbet which I have never had before and will never forget it was so delicious.

The following day Chris and I went out to shoot some clays. They have five automatic Promatic traps set up in some interesting terrain. They have a formal shooting station for each trap, but Chris and I tried to make it more interesting and fun. We also shot between two stations so we could shoot report and true pairs off of two stations. On stations four and five we had the most fun. Standing 10 yards above station four, which was a fast left-to right quartering bird that you couldn’t dally on. Station five was a high incomer arching right to left that was always in transition. Four was the harder bird to hit so we tried report pairs to start and we both accomplished getting the pair. Then we went for true pairs and we both accomplished that after a few misses. Then we got ridiculous. We shot them in reverse. There were a lot of misses but we were able to get a pair and Chris’s second bird, the one quartering away looked like it was in China, and he still got it. We sure hooted and hollered and high five'd on that one.

Grey Cliffs Ranch is a great experience in itself, but when you add the outstanding food served there by either Chris or Tiffany it really becomes a truly grand and memorable event. You can also do your own cooking in a typical chef's kitchen, and it's a great experience when you do.

The ranch doesn't try and keep all the rooms booked and full, just the opposite. They are happy if there is only one couple there so you can have your grand experience all to your self. You'll be impressed by the ranch's main lodge where you'll be staying, it's beautiful inside and out. To book your fun experience or adventure call 406-285-6512 or go to: www.greycliffsranch.com

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank JerryQuill
Reviewed 25 November 2012

We had a fantastic time at Grey Cliffs. The experience was unique as it felt like we'd rented a incredible lodge to hang out with friends, with the added benefit of a full-service luxury ranch.

Location:
The ranch is a beautiful house set a long way (several miles) from any main roads. The views across the rolling Montana landscape are amazing from the lodge and everywhere else on the ranch. The drive from Bozeman airport was just less than an hour including a stop for wine on the way (Grey Cliffs is BYO but they have bottle openers, glasses, etc.). Since this was our first time in Montana we drove to Yellowstone which is pretty convenient, took about 2.5hrs.

Activities:
Chris encouraged us to do as much or little as we liked and most days we chose a mix of one or two activities combined with lounging and reading in the afternoon. Chris took us clay shooting, set up archery for us to do at any time, was extremely patient with novice anglers, and organized riding on the ranch. He also provided maps and advice on where to go hiking in the surrounding mountains (and lent us his bear spray).

Accommodation:
The room was clean, comfortable, had a nice view out over the garden and pond, with a sitting area on the porch outside our sliding doors. The bathroom had a great shower. In addition to our room, there is a great variety of communal sitting areas, so often you will be or will feel like the only one there - on the upstairs or downstairs porch, in the large sitting room or big comfy den.

Food:
Mike had recently taken over as chef at Grey Cliffs and put on a great spread for breakfast and dinner every day. We ate with other guests, there is one sitting and one set meal, but with good variety, three courses and well-cooked robust food. In addition to providing a wonderful variety of meals using local ingredients he also knows the area well and is a keen fisherman so had both interesting stories and great advice about where to fish, lures, places to visit, etc.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank dazzaranda
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Just returned from my forth trip to Grey Cliffs and was amazed to find the experience had actually improved on what was already the best in Montana. The newest improvement was Mike, the new resident Chef who went out of his way to tailor meals for me according to my taste. The food and service was unbeatable and as usual Chris and Tye went out of their way to make sure I felt completely at home. I haver already confirmed two more trips for 2012, a short weekend in November and another with my family in December.

Room Tip: The middle(main) floor has two adjoined rooms that are great for families that require two rooms, we...