“I wanted to love it...but”
Review of Sacajawea Hotel

Sacajawea Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Three Forks
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We stayed one night at this hotel at the end of July. It has a beautiful appearance from the outside and in the lobby. I was disappointed with the room. Our room was on the first floor and was the smallest room I've ever stayed in. It was so small that there was no desk/table to set anything on AND didn't even have a luggage stand so my suitcase ended up on the floor in a corner. We both had to carefully step around it when moving in the room. The bed was comfortable but soft. We knew there was a live band and honestly the music didn't bother me or keep me from falling asleep. The bathroom was nice with a lovely roomy shower however we had little to no hot water the evening we checked in or the next morning. When I did get hot water it was in blasts causing me to jump back in the shower. I thought this strange for such a nice looking property. I loved the deep front porch and the overall look of the hotel and friendly staff but I wouldn't stay again due to the poor value for the money overall.

Reviewed 10 August 2012

Warm greetings at the front desk...an exceptionally restored (amazing ceilings!) landmark hotel that manages to be both intimate and grand... complimentary champagne on the wide, gracious front porch...tall-ceilinged bedrooms with nice linens and crisply-outfitted bathrooms... 4 complimentary bikes for meandering the town at close range (don't miss seeing the amazing shed-antler collection of "The Antler Man" on Ash Ave.; call for appt.)... followed by an excellent dinner in the hotel's historic dining room. The diminutive, sparkly owner was still on-site and enthusiastic at 11pm, Saturday night, and took time for warm conversation with us before tending to the lively nightclub music scene in the hotel's lower level. We're smitten! A wonderful stay!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kim H
Reviewed 31 July 2012

What a lovely historic hotel. Front desk staff was most helpful with any questions we had. We were served a complimentary glass of champagne upon arrival. Morning breakfast was complimentary, but very slim pickins. Rooms are small and there is no elevator, but this is to be expected in an old hotel. Room was beautifully appointed, and amenities were all first rate. Overall enjoyed our stayvery much!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2012

This beautiful refurbished 100+ year old historic hotel is a very nice place to stay. We stayed in Room 102, a small, slightly cramped room with a full-size bed. It was a great value at $105.93 including tax. It had a very comfy bed and great sheets. The room was exceptionally clean and nicely furnished.

The hotel has a wonderful, covered porch that runs along its front (west side) and along its north side. The section of the porch that covers its entire front side has quite a number of very comfortable wooden lounge chairs with thick cushions, while the portion of the porch on the north side has two wooden tables with 4 wooden chairs at each. The porch is decorated with hanging flower baskets. The porch is a great place to sit and read, although the section along the front of the hotel can be very hot on a summer afternoon as the sun sets in the west.

One complaint I have with our room relates to the window air conditioner. The air conditioner is inserted in one of the two windows in the room. The window has a wooden inside shutter treatment with slats. If you want to close the shutter and the slats on the shutter it blocks much of the cool air. The window also has a nice set of drapes that can be pulled. But if you pull the drapes (or close the shutter slats) for privacy (the room is on the first floor and the window looks out on the north section of the porch) or to darken the room the air from the air conditioner is significantly blocked. It's not a good arrangement and could only be gotten around by installing the air conditioner in the wall of the room.

The continental breakfast is just above average in my opinion. They provided bagels (which were very dry), coffee, orange juice, tea, granola, milk, yogurt, already-peeled hard-boiled eggs (nice touch), a poor selection of fruit, and an outstanding apple strudel.

Check-in and check-out was easy and quick. The staff was friendly and pleasant. I would have given the hotel a 5-star rating if not for the air conditioner "problem".

Reviewed 29 July 2012

My wife & I spent an impromptu weekend at the Sacajawea in Three Forks, Montana. Our purpose was to visit some caves in the area, but it turned out to be the most enjoyable stay I've ever had. The hotel is lovely, the rooms are large and comfortable, the people seem genuinely happy to see you. Italian linens and a bed and pillows that made for the best rest I've had in a hotel. A glass of champagne and a hot finger towel at check-in. We spent hours on the porch, chatting with tourists as well as locals.

We made a reservation at Pompey's Grill inside the hotel. The food is billed as "5 star" and is exceptional. Prices appear to be lower than most 5 star restaurants, probably because it's located in a community of just a few hundred. But note--the locals eat here also!

This is an ideal sot for a romantic weekend or simply a night as you pass through. Headwaters State Park and Lewis & Clark Caverns State Park are nearby. Both are nice for either couples or family--there were hundreds of boats, canoes and rafts floating the Madison--perfect on a 90+ degree day. Strongly recommended!

Room Tip: We stayed in a "queen" room. I can't imagine the suites, probably perfect for a famil...
1  Thank Robert D
Reviewed 20 July 2012

We ditched the kids and decided to drive down for a weeknight stay here. What a wonderful experience. The staff were friendly and accommodating. The food (dinner) was out of this world, and cocktails were innovative and delicious. Breakfast was heavy on carbs and very basic, but included in the price. The entire hotel has been redone and no expense was spared. We had a king room that while a bit small was very comfortable and quiet. My wife and I want to get the same brand mattress for home. All in all a very restful stay.

Room Tip: Even number king rooms seem to be at the front of the hotel if you want a view.
2  Thank Mtht
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Had a wonderful time here... old fashioned service. excellent food. rooms can be a bit tight and are the pricey side. great live music most weekends. owned and run by locals with a smile.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Travelodge Three Forks
#3 of 3 in Three Forks
Super 8 Belgrade/Bozeman Airport
Lewis & Clark Motel of Three Forks

Been to Sacajawea Hotel? Share your experiences!