“Great Getaway Place”

Cuisines: American
San Clemente, California
“Great Getaway Place”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I went to the Yaak River Lodge with my son and couple of close friends staying there for a week. John was one of the most accommodating persons I've ever met. The four of us came as strangers and left as good friends, he treated us as if we were family. Our schedule had us leaving the lodge at different times each day, John would ask us what time we wanted breakfast and would accommodate us no matter what time we requested. Ray, his business partner who runs the Dirty Shame Tavern welcomed and introduced us to many of the local residents of Yaak. The food and atmosphere was great. I'm looking forward to going back with my wife and friends and enjoying some of the summertime activities that Yaak has to offer. One of the previous posts had some negative comments to say about the Lodge, for myself and my friends and all the other guests that were there during our stay we couldn't be have been more pleased with both the accommodations and the way John and Ray treated us. In closing I would rate the Lodge, Tavern, John and Ray on a scale of 1-10 a strong 11!!!!!!!

• Visited November 2013

Buena Park, California
“Best Place I've Ever Stayed”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This was by far one of the best vacations of my entire life. John and Ray (owners of the Yaak Lodge and Dirty Shame Bar) treated us like family. John made us a killer breakfast every day, from pancakes to omelets. John was gone from time to time but gave us compete reign of the place. We would go to the bar after the hunt each night and the food there was great also. Met some of the townspeople and everybody was really friendly, even after I told them I was from California, that doesn't happen too often!!!! If you want a dream vacation be it hunting, fishing or water sports I would highly suggest staying here.

• Visited November 2013
Sacramento, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best vacation ever!”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

John & Ray really mean it when they say make your self at home at the Yaak River Lodge. Very friendly and welcoming stay. Five of us ladies stayed 3 nights and had the best vacation of our lives! Thank you John & Ray for introducing us to your friends. Great people, great food, beautiful area. Tara & Ray are doing a great job at the Dirty Shame. Best vacation of my life. We can't wait to return.

• Visited September 2013
Whitefish MT
“Rustic and really fun”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We had no clue what was in store, and were pleasantly surprised. We were looking to stay at a cabin near the Dirty Shame Saloon, and ended up here instead. It's 2 miles down the road from the bar. John, the owner of both the Dirty Shame and this lodge, provided personal service and a friendly atmosphere. He took care of us. The place is rustic but clean. Plenty of space. Free use of canoes/kayaks, free shuttle to and from the bar (e.g. if too many drinks are had), a decent jacuzzi, free wi-fi, and a huge, made-to-order breakfast (I got eggs, huckleberry pancakes and hash browns). Because we stayed here, the staff at the Dirty Shame treated us like family. Ray, the co-owner, makes awesome food at the bar (specially made jalapeno bacon burger with cheese fries -- killer). The bartenders Bree and Tara are attentive, attractive, friendly, and really good at their jobs. We were actually surprised at the level of service. This felt like an authentic experience. Yes they don't have on-line reservations, and yes we had to go get John at the Saloon in order to check in to the lodge (he left a sign telling us to come get him). But if you are okay with a little old school, and if you don't like "cookie-cutter" places, then this is a really fun getaway. It's also in the middle of a sprawling and pristine wilderness, which doesn't hurt. We will be back, so look out crew!

• Visited July 2013
Spokane
“Odd Place”
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Picture a cheap motel in a pristine wildrness and that is Yaak River Lodge.
No TV in the rooms rather tacky furnishings, manager/owner (I guess) kind of gave us the creeps. Oh and no children? We were on an anniversary outing so no children with us at the time but what about vacation? Sorry Kids, No Yaak Vacation for you! Just an odd place. We had to laugh at the sales pitch "Clock Radio in every room!" LOL! (OH Boy!) A better option would be to just get a room at a motel in Troy or Libby and make the short drive to Yaak for activities. Better accommodations in town and not that far to drive for a days outing.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank B H

Been to Yaak River Lodge Cafe? Share your experiences!