“Its OK”
Review of Golden West Motel

Golden West Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in West Yellowstone
Golden West Motel
Ranked #28 of 39 Hotels in West Yellowstone
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We have stayed at this motel in the past and it was good. However, this last stay the maids didn't take our used towels or garbage. We came back from a day in Yellowstone Park to find no clean towels or toiletries replenished. The beds and pillows aren't very comfortable and the bathroom facilities are cramped. The office closes at 10:00 PM so we were unable to ask for additional supplies. The price is a plus as the hotels/motels in West Yellowstone are very expensive. But I am thinking that next stay in West Yellowstone we just may spend the extra money for a different hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 August 2011

What are you looking for? A clean, nice, inexpensive, friendly hotel within walking distance of downtown? OK. This is the place. This is an older, small hotel owned and run by Kurt & Michele. They were exceptionally accommodating during the reservation process, and very friendly during checkin & our other contacts with them. The rooms are small - but not too small - and exceptionally clean. Rates were great! Biker friendly. I would not hesitate to stay there again, and I am one "picky" guy.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Jim044
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We stayed at the Golden West Motel and found it to be clean, quiet, and inexpensive. The owner was very friendly, yes you pay when you check in, but she was courteous and the rooms were extremely clean and a great value for the time of the year. The rooms were small, but my mother and father stayed in the one with the kitchen and it was fully stocked. It is an older motel but it wasn't scary looking or anything I would be worried about. No it is not a luxury motel, but a clean, convenient motel room. The shower was a tight squeeze but it was very very clean. It is within walking distance of the main drag of West Yellowstone, and we parked on the street. If you can stay in an older motel with smaller rooms, I wouldn't hesistate recommending this one.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank sheepmom
Reviewed 21 October 2010

the room was clean. there was a fan in the room for the temperature. The wall was thin but it was still ok.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2010

One thing I can say is that the owners did do a great job of helping me get a room. Kurt was very prompt on answering my e-mails. He was a rude when I called to give my credit card information. He told the woman who was actually helping me something smart alecky that I heard in the background.

When we arrived I am guessing it was Michelle working the office. She was pleasant, but when she pulled our reservation she said it was for 1 night, I reminded her it was 2 and she said, oh yeah. Nothing else, but oh yeah. I asked for recommendations for places to eat and she said Bullwinkles and The Outpost restaurants as being the best in the town. If they are the best I would hate to see the worst.

We stayed for 2 nights. The room was teeny-tiny. We measured and there was less than 18 inches on either side of a queen bed. The bathroom was nice sized. Noise from other rooms was horrible. When the rooms on either side of us took a shower or ran water it sounded like we were in the middle of rapids.

Kurt and Michelle, one big recommendation. The parking is terrible. Head in at an angle does not work. I consider myself a good driver and each time I left it took me some fanagling to get out of the spot without hitting the cars around me and the building behind me.

I think the room was significantly overpriced for what we got. If it were my property I would be in the $60-70 range max after labor day.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DrFood
Reviewed 24 August 2009

Certainly not the Hilton but an extremely good price. Everything was clean, neat and service was excellent. No air conditioning but they provided a large fan as well as the ceiling fan which kep it quite comfortable. I would say this was one of those "hidden gems"!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2009

When we first drove up to the motel in order to retrieve our keys for the Condo we were frightened! The Motel from the outside looks very rough and dumpy. After driving for days we were not looking forward to a dingy Condo while traveling with Grandparents and a 7 year old. When we drove up to the (rough exterior) Condo Townhouse we were not sure either, but we opened the door to Condo #1 and WOW! It was newly remodeled, clean, spacious and a nice respite from the Park. Amongst the MANY dumpy motels in this town that look like a scene from the horror movie Vacancy, I found it to be nice and roomy. Nice TV, multi-level living, decent beds/bedding, wifi and full kitchen are a huge plus with a large group.
Some gentle suggestions however. I would suggest they provide more than a 3 cups of laundry soap and some fabric softener sheets (not an empty box with a dryer lint ball in it), more than 3 rolls of toilet paper, more than one garbage bag (since they expect you to bag your garbage) and actual soap in the liquid soap dispensers. For that price it needs to be well stocked <-- underlined. There is an AC unit that does only cool the main floor so if it were hot I would not have been happy as even on cool nights the upstairs was rather warm. The laundry took more than 3 cycles to dry and the fridge was too warm. The other thing is the couches were PAINFUL to sit on- not very accomadating to weary and active Park visitors. Bathrooms only upstairs and downstairs. They asked you to clean off the counters and table upon leaving which makes me wonder if they really clean the place out. Also of note- this is on the very edge of town so if you want night life prepare for a small walk.
So while the things I mentioned don't matter to all, they did make an impact on my group. Overall we were pleased with our stay, found it to be neatly designed, homey, clean and roomy. I would not choose to stay there again if in West Yellowstone, however. Rather opt for one of the hotels near the Grizzly Park, Kelly Inn I believe? Also a Wyndam over there too. But this place would be more than adequate for the typical visitor to yellowstone.
Also West Yellowstone is MUCH better that Gardiner for choice, size, energy, etc...

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family