“Staff Has No Interest in Family Fun!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West Yellowstone
Campfire Lodge Resort
“Staff Has No Interest in Family Fun!”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My family and I have been coming to the Campfire Lodge every year for nearly 30 years to fish on the beautiful Madison River which is right out your backdoor at Campfire Lodge. Over the years our family has grown and now we are on our 3rd generation who love the Madison River fishing and being together as a family. The cabins have not been updated in nearly that amount of time but the prices have gone up astronomically, and the great people that used to own the place sold out to another out of stater that really has no interest in the hospitality business, especially for families. over the past few years the service has been lackluster at best. We were treated so rudely this year that our family which normally rents out about half of the camp has decided that this will be our last year at Campfire Lodge. The location is amazing but the service of the staff is terrible they act like they are completely put out if you aren't eating at the restaurant or buying their $50 bear spray and will make you wait while they help everyone else in front of you if you are trying to check in. The staff is rude, the beds are old, one of the two heaters in the cabin didn't work, the kitchen didn't have any utensils, and clearly the most satisfied guests are the mice.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
12 Thank David J
James S, Owner at Campfire Lodge Resort, responded to this review, 5 March 2015
A scathing review from a customer who did not want to follow U.S. Forest Service regulations. We are legally bound to enforce them. Previous owners were also "out of staters" . We unexpectedly had to install both a new water and septic system due to not meeting health and environmental codes that were put in place years before we took over Campfire Lodge. New gel mattresses were put in half of the cabins last year, the other half will get new mattresses this year. Check in time is at 2:00 pm if you come in early we will try to accommodate you, but if the cafe is full you will have to wait until we can help you.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Loveland, Colorado
Reviewed 17 September 2013

For some of the largest pancakes in the continental USA, try this place. The waitress was a temp and didn't warn us about the size of these things and they were enormous and delicious.

We ordered the pancake sandwich which came with one egg, two enormous slices of bacon and two pancakes that would have fed an entire football team. Large portions are nice, but this was ridiculous. The pancakes were pricey, but take heed and only order one....then split it among 2-3 people.

The setting in the restaurant is to die for, every table is right next to a briskly running stream. We would have never known about this place if the great people at Hadley's had not recommended it for us.

Note: It is located right off of Hebgen Lake Rd., right after the dam and it is easy to miss. It is on the left.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Goatesians
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We rented a cabin near the river, it was ok for a short visit, though in need of a fair bit of TLC. Cleanliness was so so, and the wife was doing a mouse check every night before bed. We did find mouse droppings a couple of times. It's about what I expected though, similar to some fishing camps I've stayed in, just basic accommodations. Some of the other cabins looked newer and may be in better shape. Breakfast at the cafe was pretty good, $10,more than enough food and everybody I spoke to was friendly. It was quite busy every time we drove by. It's close to yellowstone and we found it was fine for the amount of time we actually spent there, since we were out pretty well every day touring around.

Room Tip: Try asking for a newer cabin, they appear to be a lot nicer.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ratherbfishing1
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We were in Yellowstone Park at Old Faithful Inn during the disastrous August 17, 1959 earthquake and hadn’t been back to the park since then. During this return to Yellowstone Park we wanted to visit nearby Hebgen Lake, to pay respects to those campers buried in the huge landslide and to see the earthquake’s historical sites along the way. On our return, while still on Hwy 289, a guy at a local bait shop recommended the Riverside Café for lunch. It turned out to be the offbeat delicious discovery of our trip. The rustic Riverside Café is about 7 miles east of the Earthquake Information Center and part of the back woodsy Campfire Lodge You reach it by turning down a narrow gravel road on a bend of the Madison River.
The old restaurant/bait shop/fishing equipment storefront reminded me of a scene from Deliverance, but crossing the threshold made us feel right comfortable. The people here are united by a love of fishing and good people of all backgrounds. The Riverside Cafe is a down-home pan-fried atmosphere, well-worn with decades of visitors. We were seated next to a window by the patio. The patio’s wooden slat floor is one foot off of the grass and 8 feet from the rambling river’s edge. We decided on breakfast. It looked like the kind of place that would know how to cook crispy bacon.
When Marilyn, my wife, asked for a stack of pancakes, the woman taking our order asked her if this was her first visit to the café. When she got a “yes,” she lowered her voice so that the cook wouldn’t hear her and strongly suggested that she order only one pancake, “It’s large,” she said.
The one-inch thick pancake filled Marilyn’s dinner plate. My own order of the Pan-San (two pancakes with crispy bacon and over-easy eggs) was enormous, and tasty. The people behind us were raving about the biscuits and sausage gravy served with their chicken fried steaks. When I asked some of the old timers about the ’59 earthquake I got lots of personal stories. For instance, the Madison River backed up and flooded the Riverside Café and the owners had to drill holes in the floor to drain the water. One man who was lounging on the front porch said that two large intersecting crevasses formed by the earthquake in the rocks above the river canyon said resembled a cross and made them “feel blessed.” (For a 7.6 earthquake that killed 28 campers? But I won’t argue theology here.)
For a taste of history, loquacious locals, and a taste of mighty fine home cooking, I highly recommend the Riverside Café at the Campfire Lodge just north of West Yellowstone, Montana on Hwy 289.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Allen H
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Reviewed 25 July 2013

After reading some of the whining reviews, I decided that I needed to say something. I stayed at Campfire Lodge Resort, cabin #4, July 13-15. The cabin itself was rustic, extremely clean and quiet. I woke up Saturday morning to find the cafe packed and a line outside, always a good sign. My girlfriend and I were seated at the bar. The coffee was ground fresh so I didn't mind the short wait. I had the biscuits and gravy which had a lot of sausage. I'm a life long Idahoan and was born and raised on hashbrowns. The cafe at Campfire serves the best hashbrowns, I have ever eaten!!!
The service is indredible friendly all around! I understand there will be a wait when a place is busy. Take your time and relax, isn't that why we get away in the first place? The Campfire Lodge Resort is beautiful, quiet and worth every penny.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Corey B
Lexington, Oklahoma
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Our family of four spent the week of July 7-13 at Campfire Lodge. We used it as a home base for our Yellowstone vacation. We arrived early (check in is at 2pm) and were given the brush off by the office for nearly a half hour because they were busy with breakfast customers. I asked numerous times if we could drop our camper somewhere and go get groceries and we would come back and check in, but I was ignored each time. I finally went to look at the site that we were supposed to be in and it was empty, so I told the guy at the desk that we would go set up and come back and pay. If customer service was as it should be, he should have told me to do that. So, we set up and went into town to do some shopping and came back later to check in. He was much more accommodating then. We paid (in cash...they do not accept checks or credit cards) and were set for the week.

The site was nice, wooded and quiet, with electric, water, and sewer. The water/sewer is in the normal place on the drivers side of the camper, but the electric was on a tree about 30 feet away. We had extension cords, so it was not a big deal. The site had a nice wooden deck with picnic table and bench, which was really nice because it rained each evening and it kept the mud down in the camper.

The bathhouse was very nice, with tiled shower and toilet stalls. You are given a code to get in, so only those in the campground can use them. The laundry room is clean, but only has two washers and two dryers. Washers are $1.50, which I thought was a really good deal, but the dryers are $1.25 and you have to run them at least two times. There is no quarter machine, so if you are doing laundry after 8pm when the office closes, you better have your own quarters. I didn't have enough and we had to hang all our laundry on makeshift clothes lines overnight to get them to dry.

I was extremely disappointed with the fly shop. While they have a good stock of flies and fly tying material, they picked up on the fact that we were not from the area. We asked them what we needed and they filled a fly box with over $100 worth of flies, telling us we won't catch anything in the area without these. Then they told us how good fishing was on the Madison River (in front of the resort) and we shouldn't even fish in Yellowstone. We didn't catch a SINGLE fish on the Madison and after spending time that we could have used in Yellowstone and $100 on flies that I will never be able to use where we live, I was rather upset. I wouldn't go back to the fly shop. On the other hand, Jacklin's in West Yellowstone was an excellent fly shop that we used instead.

There is a restaurant on site, but we didn't eat there. It is open from 7-2 for breakfast and lunch.

While we were fairly happy with the campground and enjoyed the site we were in, we would not go back, simply because of the distance to Yellowstone. We didn't realize when we booked that it was 25 miles into West Yellowstone, and then another 14 miles to the Madison Junction where we turn to see the sites, so we were driving 40 miles one way to even get to see Yellowstone and by the fifth day this was a very daunting drive. For someone interested in fishing the Madison, boating on Lake Hebgen, or just want a quiet place to camp, this would be a good place.

Overall, we like the site and the wooded, quiet nature of the campground. I think the staff could use a lesson in customer service, and I would not trust the fly shop....they are just there to get your money and take advantage if they see you don't know the area. I would not use this campground if you are planning on going into Yellowstone each day....it is just too far out, There were some really nice campgrounds and motels in the town of West Yellowstone that were charming.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank horseteacher18
Layton, Utah
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I must have passed this place dozens of times over the years of fly-fishing the Madison River below Quake Lake. I usually stayed in West Yellowstone because of the local cuisine and fly-shops until this year. I met Jim Slattery at a fly-tying Expo in Salt Lake City and he is the owner of Campfire Lodge along with his lovely wife Wendie. I booked one evening on my way to the Missouri River by Craig, Montana. I stayed in one of the small cabins with a double bed. Although not big, it was cozy. You can't go wrong with the location of this resort along the Madison River, beautiful setting. The bed was comfortable and the shower hot, what more can a fisherman want, except food. They do serve a fantastic breakfast in the morning that opens at 7am. I was fishing so did not eat lunch here, but if it's anything like the breakfast, I'm sure it was equally as delicious. Go for the pancakes, you get one, but it's all the carbs you'll need for the river. Coming back from the Missouri River I spent 2 more nights with a close fishing friend of mine in a cabin with 2 bouble beds, and kitchenette. Again, comfortable beds and hot shower after a long hard day of fishing. The cabin is very spacious and had a nice deck with a grill and picnic table is you choose to eat outside. The lodge does not serve dinner, you are on your own. All the folks who operate the lodge, which are only a half-dozen including the owners, are wonderful, friendly people. You can sit outside and possibly catch some wildlide. The day after the first night one of the RV campers pointed out a female Mt. Goat with her kids sitting high in the cliffs befind the lodge. This is a quiet cozy place if you are wanting to get away from the busy traffic of West Yellowstone and do some serious fly-fishing along the river. My friend and I were content on sipping some cold beers on the neck and relax after a long day on the river. I can't speak for the RV sites, only that it appeared to be a tight fit for the larger RV's because of the trees. Also, bring cash or equivalent, they do not accept plastic. Their cancellation policy is a little hard, best you keep your reservation because you could loose 1/2 your deposit for the cabin. However, their rates are better than anything you will find in West Yellowstone. I highly suggest you review their website for rental and cancellation policy so you will not be surprised.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends