“Expensive Summer Rates....go spring/fall when they drop prices”

Super 8 West Yellowstone
Ranked #24 of 39 Hotels in West Yellowstone
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Overall the Super 8 was just fine. I think it is far more well appointed than Super 8's around the country. The decor is fitting for the area and the "lodge feeling" they are going for. The staff are very nice and very helpful. The rooms are clean. However they have a new policy that if you leave anything personal on the bed they will simply leave you a note and not make the bed. Apparently staff are not allowed to touch personal items. I wonder how they cleaned the sink area? Seemed those personal items were moved; the sink was cleaned and restocked.

Anyway, the DECK is very to cocktail on and behind the Super 8 is a KOA with a GREAT convenience store and best off all Josh and Keley the amazing pizza, salad, and sandwich chefs. YUM.

The pricing is very high for this hotel, however ALL of WEST YELLOWSTONE is out of their mind with their pricing. It is all about supply and demand....little supply+high demand = high prices. ALSO note that there are A LOT of rooms for rent in West Yellowstone many of which are NOT offered on Trip Advisor or the major third party bookers. Check the West Yellowstone yellow pages.

Room Tip: Ask for upstairs so that the neighbors above you (there is no third floor) won't keep you up in...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We spent one night at this Super 8 hotel. Note that it is 8 miles outside of West Yellowstone. Rooms were VERY dated. The sink area was so tiny that you could hardly find a place to lay your toothbrush -- let alone comb your hair. The breakfast was sub par. The eating area was so small that my wife and I had to take our breakfast back to the room to eat.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

We have been traveling across the US and this was one of the most expensive overpriced hotels we've stayed at.

Rooms were very dated (all that was missing were The Magic Fingers) . Breakfast was lousy. Walls thin. Very overpriced. Bedding was gross. Far from town.

Nice front desk staff though.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Rates were indeed high for the 4th of July weekend.

We paid $20 extra and had a family room with 1 king and 2 queen beds. The room was huge!
Outdated but clean.

We woke up too late to enjoy the complimentary breakfast (I think it runs until 9am).

Front desk was very nice.

We will come back!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2014

IMy family traveled to West Yellowstone in mid-June and stayed here for one night. I thought that the hotel was very over-priced ($170) a night - based on what we received. The room was very small with two beds and an extremely small bathroom. The breakfast room was the size of an average kitchen and was not able to accommodate all of the guests. The breakfast was mediocre - cereal and fruit. I also wasn't told when I booked it through Super 8 that it is not in the actual town but 8 miles away. I felt that the place did not match the price.

Room Tip: Not sure -
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Super 8 has an 800 number that you can call to reserve a room in almost any Super 8 in the US. Most of the time, it works very well but when we called for a room in West Yellowstone, it failed us. Since I am a senior, walk with a cane, and struggle with stairs, we requested a first floor room. Somehow that information never got passed on to West Yellowstone. When we arrived at the motel, my wife went to the check-in desk while I struggled up the stairs. By the time I got up the stairs, it became clear there was a mis-communication between the Super 8 call center and West Yellowstone. The manager, coming out of his office, spotted my predicament and without waiting for long explanations simply told the clerk to move our room down to the main floor – no muss, no fuss, lots of gracious service. Over the years I have encountered managers that only know the word “no.” Here was a manger that understood the word service knew how to act on it– kudos! The rest of the staff that we met were friendly and helpful too. High marks to all of them.

While I don’t have enough superlatives to describe the staff and the cleanliness of the place, there were a couple disappointments.

The breakfast area was on the east side of the building and the morning sun filled it with light. Just outside, the breakfast area extended onto an expansive deck with more seating. It was a great place to enjoy our morning coffee. The breakfast itself was a disappointment. They offered the minimum breakfast that many Super 8s abandoned years ago. What they had was good, the bread and fruit was fresh and the coffee was great. But at the height of the tourist season when prices are higher, you expect a little more.

My biggest gripe is with the architects that design motels without elevators. And why do they design a bathroom that is so small you have to stand in the tub in order to close the door? If you put the washstand in the room with the tub and toilet it would automatically make enough room to close the door and it would give you more privacy. Then there’s the tiny toilets built for kids. Since none of this applies just to this motel, consider it low marks for ALL motel architects. My apologies to Super 8 West Yellowstone for venting a universal gripe.

Also, a big disadvantage is that the motel is seven and a half miles out of town even though they advertise being in West Yellowstone. There were no restaurants in the area that I noticed unless there was one up at the convenience store of the next-door campground. After we booked the room we had to drive back to West Yellowstone for some supper before heading to bed.

About our evaluation:
We gave them high marks on service and cleanliness. Their value was in the middle of what was available in West Yellowston. We marked the location down because it was so far from everything. The rooms were right up there but not perfection. As for the pool and fitness center, we never even looked for them – we were tired from a long drive and didn’t come here to work out. In fact, I don’t even know if they had either.

Would I stay here again? Probably. But I’ll bring a carry-out from town.

Room Tip: The motel is 7 miles out of town so don't worry when you discover yourself at the outskirts.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed one night at this Super 8 attached to a KOA campground. The room was very clean, and comfortable. The bed definitely so. The staff was friendly and helpful. We ate dinner at the restaurant next door. It was fine for pizza. Nothing gourmet.
A caution- There is nothing around this hotel! And I mean nothing....It is about 7 miles from West Yellowstone. No restaurants, no gas, no shops, etc. So if you are coming from Yellowstone Park like we were, do everything in town before you go to the hotel.
Or if you are headed into Yellowstone Park, be aware when you book a room that you will not find any of the above amenities. Given that it is also a KOA campground, most will have provisions with them.
I definitely would stay here again. It made a great rest stop on our road trip.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
#8 of 39 in West Yellowstone
Days Inn West Yellowstone
Days Inn West Yellowstone
#19 of 39 in West Yellowstone

Been to Super 8 West Yellowstone? Share your experiences!