“Worst Place Ever”

Al's Westward Ho Motel
Ranked #22 of 39 Hotels in West Yellowstone
Reviewed 5 October 2007

In the 36 years that I have been traveling and staying at many accommodations, Al's Westward Ho Motel was one of my most disappointing encounters. First of all, it was extremely difficult to make a reservation. It took me approximatley eight calls over two days before I could get someone to answer the telephone. I had the same difficulties when I wanted to change my reservation. I finally gave up and left two separate voice mails on the motel's answering machine. When I got to the Motel at 8:00p.m. on the 12th, I was told I had NO RESERVATION. The woman at the desk told me that my voicemail got cut off halfway through the first message and that she never received a second message so she simply cancelled my reservations. Furthermore, this woman at the desk (who seemed to be one of the owners.) scolded me like a five year old and told me I should never have left a phone machine message. She commented that she ran a business, that I should have known better, and should have spoken with someone in person. Her attitude was condescending, belittliling, and rude. She offerred no help in finding another place to stay. She seemed to take delight in stranding two 61 year-old women at 8:00p.m.

Stayed: September 2007
4  Thank TravelGirlNewton_MA

Reviewed 24 September 2007

We arrived in West Yellowstone without reservations (dummy!) and went to the Tourist Information office next to the IMAX. Al's called while we were there to say they had two rooms left and my wife and i and another couple made a beeline for the motel. The other couple took a suite and we took room #1. The room had twin beds a bathroom and a small kitchen and that was about it. It was clean but the old Frigidaire with the long handle for opening gave away the age of the place. It is the closest motel to the West Entrance and the people were very nice (almost apologetic for having us stay in #1). I would stay there again but would make a reservation to make sure I got a newer room.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Grizzlyman
Reviewed 9 September 2007

I reserved two rooms at Al's on the internet. When we arrived, Marilyn said she did not have an internet site and she had no reservations for us - even though I had a confirmation number. She asked how much the room was ($89) - and she said she could do better than that. She said there were just two rooms left if we wanted them for $69 apiece ( we were traveling with another couple). Marilyn assured us that we would not be charged twice for the rooms if we wanted to stay. The commode in the first room had a serious leak so we had to move upstairs. The second room had a wall heater that did not work very well. It was about 28 degrees that night. One night was enough, yes it is close to Yellowstone but that was about it. Needless to say we were charged twice. After contacting this business I could not get the second charge credited back. I disputed the charge through my credit card. Finally, two months later I was credited for the second charge. Yes the web site is still out there - and yes they take reservations.

5  Thank seatraveler42
Reviewed 15 August 2007

The room was very clean and had comfortable beds. However, the owner was very feisty and not flexible at all (it's the end of the season and she's probably tired of all of the tourists and been in the business too long). You need to check in between 4 and 9 (and no earlier, you can't even get your key early), so we had to completely revamp our days plans to accommodate those hours. We had planned to be in Yellowstone for sunset. We were also surprised that there was no ice maker, it was a hot day and we wanted ice, but had to go into town and buy a bag. The room did have a fan in it.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank sasaut
Reviewed 7 September 2006

We had a very pleasant stay here, but this is not a motel for anyone attached to amenities, like air conditioning or fan or phone, etc. It was warm so we had to keep a window open for ventilation -- luckily, things quieted down around 10PM -- everyone was as tired as we were I guess!

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank alaughingdog
Reviewed 21 August 2006

Old but clean and well kept.

Good room rate ($74.80 including the tax) for 4 adults.

This hotel is just outside of Yellowstone National Park.

You have to be there by 9:00 p.m.

There was no air conditioning, but it was not needed.

No smoking is allowed in any of the rooms or even on the property of this hotel.

We would have liked more pillows (2 per each queen size bed provided). We didn't ask for more either.

There were 4 bath towels and 3 wash cloths - we didn't ask for more.

There is no telephone in the room.

Would definately stay at this hotel again due to the rate.

4  Thank Condarosa
Reviewed 9 August 2006

stayed here 3 nights in July based on reviews, I don't think this hotel is that great, it was ok for the price and very close to yellowstone entrance. I had a problem the 1st night because it was very warm and there's no AC. I asked for a fan but the owner/manager said they have none. I was a little upset because when I booked the room she said they have fans available if rooms are too hot. Rooms are pretty basic, no hair dryers, pretty quiet.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with friends