“Location, Location, Location”

Al's Westward Ho Motel
Ranked #22 of 39 Hotels in West Yellowstone
Reviewed 2 October 2010

For what it is, the motel fit the bill. Yes, it's old, but so are most of the properties in the area, unless you pay big bucks for a chain. We left a jacket behind and they promptly mailed it to us. You are on top of town, so park the car and walk. It is yards from Yellowstones west entrance.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 September 2010

The rooms are clean and resonable size.
Unfortunately there is NOTHING in the rooms.
NO coffee machine.
No Air Conditioning.
Just your basic room.
It is in a great location.
Walking distance to everything and near the entrance to Yellowstone.
The owner wouldn't even let us have a second container of ice....

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cheriiel
Reviewed 16 July 2010

If you make sure to arrive during the receptionist/owner's working hours (8 am to 9 pm) then I am sure it will be fine. We came from very far and called ahead that we would be coming in late. First we were scolded for expecting them to stay u for us (which we didnt, we just wanted them to leave the keys in the room and give us the room numbers). Then we were told off for being so inconsiderate fro coming in late and disturbing other guests (which we havnt even done yet) and then were told 3 times to tip toe in and not use the shower!!!
I have never been so offended! I think it is ok to ask us (politely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) to come in quietly, but this way? btw, I did not see anywhere in the motel a sign saying do not shower after certain hours, so why the discrimination?
We did discover the reason for that strange request- paper thin walls. The guest in the room next door dared to shower after 10 pm (was not arrested btw) and even have some fun and we heard more than we needed to...
the room was really nice but I would never ever go back there. there are so many nice places where they treat you well and are very helpful. As we are driving down the west side of the us, we arrive late at many places and the staff at every lace we have been was great!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Tammy C
Reviewed 17 September 2009

Charging almost 100 dollar per night you'd expect at least a decent room, well, this probably was very decent, back in the seventies. Because that was what we felt when we opened the room and during the rest of our stay. This room clearly hasn't had a redecorating in over 30 years and if that was it but there was more; my husband was to tall to fit in the showers, he had to bend over to wash his hair, there was no fridge, no access to ice to cool food or drinks, no wi-fi, tv was below average and the remote didn't work, no breakfast, a very unfriendly host who hardly took the time to answer our questions and clearly has forgotten how to put a smile on and the list goes on. The only thing that was good, was the bed, and the location but I would never book this hotel again and surely won't recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MarkandSimone
Reviewed 8 September 2009

I was planning to stay on the 4th of Sept., when I was passing through but decided not to because I wanted to make it to my family's that day after all (to save money since I am unemployed). I called before noon, and only was able to leave a voicemail message, and did. I never got a response back. I kept trying for the rest of the day, and never got an answer. I tried to stop by at 2:30 pm to explain my situation, and no one was there until "4:00pm" supposedly, according to the note on the door. I kept trying to get a hold of them even after I contniued to head to SLC, and never got an answer. I got a hold of the "owner" today, Tuesday Sept. 8th, 2009, after I discovered last night that I WAS CHARGED for the room, and tried to talk to her about it. She hung up on me when we were discussing it.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank mtchicky
Reviewed 7 September 2009

Al's was very clean with a large room with two queen size beds. The staff was extremely accomodating and friendly. There was a TV, no phone (everyone has a cell phone anyway) and thank goodness, no wireless internet. With all of the restaurant choices in town, there was no need for an on sight food facility.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2009

Nothing fancy - just clean, comfortable, safe, and convenient, totally in keeping with the Yellowstone Park experience. Al's is withing walking distance of everthing in West Yellowstone and across the street from Yellowstone Park entrance. Mrs. Parker is the owner, the maid, the clerk, and the knowledgeable tour advisor. The price can't be beat.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends