“This is the type of room you see in horror movies.”

Dude/Round Up Motel
Dude/Round Up Motel
Ranked #36 of 39 Hotels in West Yellowstone
Wilsonville, Oregon
“This is the type of room you see in horror movies.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2009

First when I got to the hotel the office was locked and nobody answered. So I had to find a room down the street. I had only booked my reservation 3 hours earlier when I was almost 200 miles away on the recomendation of someone at another web site. When I got there the next day they said that I was going to be charged for the first night that I'd reserved, but then they eventually pushed my reservation out one day. I wish they wouldn't have. As soon as I walked in I was hit with a strong mildew odor. The 1970s carpet was stained and sticky in places. There were cracks in the walls and paint was chiping in places. The covering on shower curtain rod was split the length of the rod and was chipping off. There was mildew in the grout in the shower. The floor towel for the bathroom had a strip missing from it 10 inches long and 4 inches wide. The TV remote didn't work. When I pulled the covers back on the bed the first thing I noticed was a paper backed sticker that was left by whoever was in the room before. It was obvious to me that the sticker hadn't gone through any type of wash. After that I realized that there were creases in the fitted sheet on one of the sides of the bed as if someone had either layed in the bed, or slept in it. As I was standing there disgusted by the dirty sheets I noticed the dark stains along the sides of the box spring. Knowing they were going to charge me for the hotel no matter what I did, I slept in my sleeping bag on top of the bed with the windows open to ventilate the odor. I wouldn't recomend this hotel to inmates.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
New Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2007

When our car broke down, the folks at the garage called around to try to find a room for us and our dog. This was NOT the first place they called, but it was the first place they found that had rooms. When I booked our room, I was told that they were one of only 2 places in towns with rooms. I can see why! The room was filthy. When I opened the curtains, there were dead bugs in the window. The carpet was stained. An old, non-working lamp had been left in the room. The room smelled. It was so bad that even though we were exhausted, we went to the IMAX just to avoid spending time in the room. We survived our night there. I thought maybe other rooms were better, but after reading the other reviews here, I guess not. ;-(

• Liked — IIt was a room to sleep in
  • Disliked — Filthy, smelled bad.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these West Yellowstone hotels

Idaho
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2007

My friend and I stayed in this motel and as soon as we entered the room, we knew we were in trouble. It was very tiny and crowded, no shampoo, iron, hair dryer, no remote for the TV, very stained and gross curtains and the furniture was very old and uninviting. No table for us to eat on, play games, etc. The bathroom floor looked like it hadn't been mopped for eons. The whole room had an overall dirty appearance. $100.00 per night? Come on! We called the front desk and told them we wanted to check out and they told us we would be charged for two nights because that was what our reservation was for. We went to the office and explained to them that the main reason for our vacation, besides seeing yellowstone, was to relax and do crafts. The room was too small and we didn't even have a table to work on. So they let us look at another room and lo and behold, it was decent! Same price! We moved our stuff to the other room and enjoyed the 2nd day and night. However, we had to pay a $25.00 cleaning fee on the old room because of the move. What's up with that? They would have had to clean it anyway! We made our reservations about 3 weeks ago, so why would we be given the worst room on the lot and not be told about the other ones? What a rip off! We were very disappointed. Next time, I will ask them to describe the complete room to us, including cleanliness. Never mind! We won't stay there again!

• Liked — That we did end up with a better room in the end.
  • Disliked — Dirty, old, crowded, expensive
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank mamadonna5
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2007

We recently stayed at this motel (the Round Up) which was booked as part of a tour we were on. The motel was FILTHY and the rooms smelled. There were ring marks from drinks on the table and nightstand, so the surface areas obviously had not been cleaned in a while. The carpet was stained and the bedspread was old and worn. No hairdryer, etc. However, I will say that the towels and sheets appeared to be clean. And, as its two redeeming features, the young girl at the front desk (who was a fairly new employee) was very nice and helpful and the motel is within very reasonable walking distance of the stores and restaurants.

Could not wait to get out of there the next morning. What a disappointment to an otherwise stunningly beautiful time in Yellowstone.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of Cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2007