“Exactly what I wanted”

Ranked #35 of 39 Hotels in West Yellowstone
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Exactly what I wanted”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I had a great time at the hotel. I wanted someplace clean and safe to sleep between trips into Yellowstone. It was minutes away from the entrance and any shops or restaurants I wanted to go to were within walking distance. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable. I really enjoyed the breakfast. It was great to be able to be able to eat and then head straight to the park.

Although I didn't come with children this time, I liked that that they showed complimentary kids movies at night. That and the pool at the hotel and park across the street gives more options to entertain kids for no additional money (which is a big deal on vacations).

I will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Laura L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Indonesian first
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel on Saturday, July 20th. We had two rooms and 5 in our party. The price was very competitive during this VERY busy peak Yellowstone season. I was actually surprised that we were able to secure two rooms with less than a week's notice. Parking was good and the hotel sits across from a park, so it's nice to sit outside and not have to be facing another hotel.

I wasn't sure what to expect before we arrived since this is an older hotel. I was plesantly surprised! The lobby area is decorated in a Western theme and is very welcoming. The front desk clerks were friendly, despite our late arrival (10p). I was also pleased that each room included 2 full HOT breakfasts. As are most older hotels, the rooms were VERY spacious and included a mini-frig, coffee maker & microwave.

The beds were decent, as were the pillows. Not top of the line (really can't expect that) and the mattresses adequate. Enough for a good night's rest. The bathroom suprised me the most! Even with hotel overhauls, the bathrooms usually remain the scary part. Not here! The tiled bathtub surround's grout was clean as was the rest of the bathroom. The best part for me were the fluffy towels! Hotel towels are usually scratchy and thin...but these weren't.

Breakfast was available from 7a-10a and it was GREAT. Fruit cocktail, yogurt, granola, 4 dry cereals, two options for scrambled eggs (with and without ham), bacon, sausage, pancakes, french toast, biscuits & gravy, toast & cinnamon rolls. I think there might have been more, but I can't remember. There was coffee, tea, milk, and two juices available as well.

We didn't use the pool, but it looked clean and inviting. They also have a HUGE hot tub...nearly the size of the small pool. It appeared that the deck was in decent shape as well.

I would definitely stay here again and next time, I hope to be there long enough to enjoy the pool and a nice walk around town.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank S F
Vermilion, Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We were staying at another motel, but, because there was no breakfast offered at our motel, they recommended eating at the White Buffalo. There was a $9 breakfast buffet that was awesome. It was very extensive - eggs, bacon, sausage, French toast, potatoes, pancakes, cold cereal, toast, coffee, orange/apple/cranberry juices. The staff were very good at making sure it was topped up and hot. Also, the waiting area in the front of the hotel was very nicely done up with a lot of wood work. It was very clean and inviting. A block off of main street.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Karen K
Bryn Athyn, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 July 2013

This hotel fit the bill for our trip to Yellowstone. They provided a hot buffet breakfast. The only issue was the bus-full of people that arrived for breakfast both mornings. Staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank lynng291
Utah
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed one night at the White Buffalo and were pleasantly surprised at the HUGE rooms, the cleanliness of the property, and the great selection at the breakfast buffet. They had everything from cold cereal for the kids to oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, granola, French toast, biscuits & gravy, bacon, sausage, etc. Our kids loved the pool and hot tub and we loved the proximity to the entrance of Yellowstone. The staff was helpful in making recommendations of what to do and where to eat in town. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank kpettey
bozeman
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We arrived at 2:00 pm and was told we could not check into our room until 3:00 because the computer would charge us for an extra day. The receptionist was less than friendly, however when we did check into our room they called to see if everything was ok. We told them per previous comments we expected a refrigerator in our room. We were told "sorry, we have an employee refrigerator you can use". Wi Fi was as slow as dial up & kept booting us off. Rooms are spacious, very few channels on t.v. and breakfast was included. Good location.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ccskye
Oosterhout, The Netherlands
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We stayed 3 nights in this hotel, paid 538 dollar. The pictures and video on the hotel site was great but.....not what we saw when we arrived there. The room was spacious but old fashioned. A lot of noise from the chinese people which stay there every night with tour-groups. We went 3 times out of our room to ask them to be quiet after 10 pm. We had room 106 and heard the people walking late in the evening.old wooden floors. Reception desk closed at 10.30 P.M. If there are problems you have to call 9 11 said the sign at the desk......also an other number for "small problems". The Wi-Fi isn't working, we heard it from several guests. We complained the last morning about the more then full bins in front of the entrance. The girl behind the desk was undertaken action immediately. While we were standing outside with her, a man came and he said he was the manager. We told him about the bins and also about the noise every night. We travel a lot and you can view my comments on tripadvisor,, most possitive. I am not a person who complains about everything but "the manager" said........."ýou can complain what you want, it's NOT my bussines".......What an insult for your guests mister MANAGER! A few minutes later the real Manager came in, he was phoned by the friendly girl. Apologys from his side but he knew about the problems.The full bins came from the garbage from busses with chinese people he said. Possible but when they are full at 5 pm, as we saw, you must undertake action! The noise every night was known but "i can do nothing on it " he said. YES YOU CAN!. Reception 24 hours open and rules about making noise after a certain time. That day he would arrange a meeting with the staff about these problems, he said. I told him about the offensive words from the manager....he was not the manager but head of service. A shame that such a man must give the guest a good feeling after a stay for a lot of money. We will visit Yellowstone again but not in this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ruud J
RLB1954, Manager at White Buffalo Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
We are sorry you were so disappointed in your stay at our hotel. We appreciate your comments.

The new owners are in the process of upgrading the rooms. I am not sure what you mean by "old fashioned" as we have recently remodeled the bathrooms and upgraded our bedding. That said, many people find old fashioned appealing in a town like West Yellowstone.

You visited West Yellowstone during the peak of the summer season. We have many guests staying with us who, like you, are from different countries. I am sorry our Chinese guests were disturbing to you. The tour groups bring a lot of trash with them which they dispose of in trash bins close to where they disembark from their buses. It is not unusual for a tour bus to arrive at 5:00 PM. Our maintenance people are continually emptying these bins as you witnessed while we were speaking at the front door.

We do close our front desk at 11:00 PM. I think you must have misunderstood our sign. It says for medical emergencies call 911. There are three other numbers listed on the sign. Two of them will connect you to our in-resident front desk person and the other will connect you to our general manager. You could have contacted us at any time and I wish you would have instead of waiting to complain until you were checking out.

As I said during our conversation, I believe you misunderstood our head of maintenance's comment about your complaints not being his business. He was trying to direct you to the general manager.

When I spoke to you about the noise, I tried to tell you I can't do anything about the noise if I don't know about it until after you check out. The best I can do now is remind the tour guides to ask their people to be more considerate of our other guests.

Compare our room rates with those of other hotels in West Yellowstone and I'm sure you will find ours are among the lowest. One way we keep our prices down is by avoiding the cost of a night auditor. This allows us to close our front desk after 11:00 PM. It is very rare for a guest to need help after 11:00 PM. For those who do need help, we have our on-call staff whose phone numbers are clearly posted at the front desk.

Again, we are sorry you found your stay here so unpleasant. We wish you would give us another try the next time you visit West Yellowstone so you can enjoy the many upgrades we are implementing.

Travellers are raving about these West Yellowstone hotels