“An Unfortunate Choice!”
Review of Traveler's Lodge

Traveler's Lodge
Ranked #38 of 39 Hotels in West Yellowstone

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Provo, Utah, United States
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I booked this motel after reading the poor reviews. Why? Because nothing else was available and I didn't want to sleep in my car. We were mostly pleasantly surprised. Julie, the clerk when we checked in, was very helpful and nice. She pointed out places to eat and shop and showed us spots in Yellowstone to visit. As she was booking us in she pointed out that our room - 128 - was one of the best and it had a fridge and microwave. She said only five units have fridges and microwaves. She said the room had towels but gave me several more, just in case.

The good first:

Our room was spacious, clean and comfy and the beds were comfortable. Yes, the motel is old. It shows some wear and tear but everything was clean except the floor.

A fridge was good to have and all units should have them, especially when you are traveling into a national park where there aren't many food choices. People want to carry things in coolers into places like that. Note to owners: Splurge and get fridges for all your units.

The AC/heat worked (we needed both because it's June).

There was an ice bin across the parking lot. (It should have a scoop in it though.)

There is a grocery store within walking distance. You will want to buy stuff for breakfast because none is offered.

Now for the bad:

The dirty floors were mentioned in earlier reviews. They are still dirty. It shouldn't be hard to use a steam cleaner once a week on the floors - really, it's a nicety many motels provide because floors that make your socks or feet black are gross.

There is no breakfast provided. I don't think this is necessarily a requirement but even just a bowl of apples and some bread for toast would be nice. Or some muffins or bagels.

Ask for a room that doesn't have a connecting door (unless you are getting two rooms). My head was right next to one in our room and the kids in the room next to us started laughing and being noisy at 6:30 a.m. Not pleasant. Perhaps there could be a note in rooms stating quiet hours are 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. or something like that.

The parking lot is a bit tight. Probably wasn't in the good old days when cars weren't the size of small nations.

The motel should have cards (like many other motels and hotels) that note they conserve water and to leave towels on racks if they can be used again, leave on floor for new ones. We just left the "do not disturb" sign on the door so housekeeping would change things out. Be nice to the beautiful earth.

One other thing - I asked a man in the parking lot if his room was ok. He said yes but the clerk (an Asian woman) threatened to cancel their room. The computer was down and she told them to come back in a few hours. The man's father said they wanted to put their things in their room. She yelled at them and said she would cancel their reservation. After reading other reviews it seems that some customer service training is badly needed. Weary travelers who are spending a fistful of money on a motel room want to be treated kindly, just like anyone would want. Everything can be great with a motel, the room, amenities, etc. but when a clerk is rude, the reviews go down the toilet.

We would stay here again. It was a decent price and we found most things to be adequate. I can't vouch for other rooms but 128 was a good one.

Room Tip: Don't get a room with a connecting door to another room.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Acton, California
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Old, run down, asked for a extra towel and was refused by the manager. Asked for a extra coffee packet and was refused. Herd from other people staying there and they were not happy either. A older couple asked the manager for a copy of the final bill and the manager refused to give them a copy, said they booked online and they should print a copy from there. Only came here because it was the only thing available on a short notice. The manager was the problem. Stayed two nights 6/14/13 and 6/15/13

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these West Yellowstone hotels

Rochester, MI
Reviewed 20 June 2013

We stayed at the Traveler's Lodge because we could not find any other hotel with availability. The room was AWFUL. There were no light bulbs in at least one lamp, the molding was falling off the wall, the bathroom floor was covered in dirt. I didn't take my shoes off in this room. The TV volume didn't work, there was two plugs in the room- neither of which were three prong so the coffee pot couldn't be plugged in. There was a three prong plug in the bathroom, however I woke up to find my computer uncharged because apparently the light had to be turned on for the plug to work. The list could go on. Not worth the money. Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Astoria, Oregon
Reviewed 13 October 2012

We showed up in the evening with no plans, figuring the tourist season was over, and this was the only place available. The staff was very nice and friendly. But even though we stayed for two nights, we took our valuables with us because the place looked like it might be demolished at any time. The heater only had two settings: too hot or off. I woke up chilled the first morning, and decided I didn't want to go into the park cold and wet, so I skipped showering. In some ways, I am glad I did: when I showered the second morning before we checked out, I discovered that my freshly-washed feet were filthy from walking along the carpet. If I had found that the first morning, we would have wasted precious park time looking for other accomodations.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MurrayDelph
Idaho
Reviewed 6 October 2012

The staff was very friendly and we were warm and dry for the night, much better than sleeping in the car. The bedding was clean as were the towels. The over all state of the room was poor. The room was very run down and hasn't been maintained well. But we were close to the park for our excursion back in the next day. The rates $119.00 (131.00 with tax). Would I recommend this to others... well... we were fine and slept well but defiantly NOT the Ritz.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank thesweetlittlebird
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed 3 October 2012

... but we are travelling on the fly. The carpet was dirty. An electrical outlet was hanging out of the wall. Luckily it didn't work. The hanging shelf fell off the wall when we tried to put two helmets on it. My guess is just about anywhere else is better. We are on day 7 of a 2 week trip, and this is by far the worst place, and ironically, the most expensive. Oe more thing, the heater will keep you awake all night.

Room Tip: The best rooms are somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple