The Historic Madison Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Three Bear Lodge(West Yellowstone)
Alpine Motel(West Yellowstone)
Traveler's Lodge(West Yellowstone)
  • Free Internet
View Hotel
Stage Coach Inn(West Yellowstone)
View Hotel
Kelly Inn West Yellowstone(West Yellowstone)
Westwood Motel(West Yellowstone)
View Hotel
Yellowstone Park Hotel(West Yellowstone)
View Hotel
All reviewshostel roomsshared roommain buildingprivate bathgift storehot water for teadiscount couponold westrestaurant next doorwest entrancerental carown bathroomopened the doorrooms are smallthe entire staffenjoyed my stayplace to sleep
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 September 2008

When we booked the room on the hotel website we were impressed by the pictures of the room, it looked antique. When we arrived we were greeted by the front desk by a very nice man. He emphisized the historical nature of the building and that we should treat our room as such. We got to the roomed and The only historical feature to the room was the log ceiling. The walls were fake wook paneling. The curtains were made in about 1991. The bathroom was tiny including the miniature bathtub(which was pretty comical to watch someone actually try to bathe in it). The bathtub also was not cleaned and I had to clean it myself before we were able to use it. The good thing about the room was the air conditioner and the price. It was not what I expected but it wasn't horrible either.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 22 July 2008

We didn't spend a lot of time in our hotel room, but it was basic and had nearly everything we needed. We had booked a rustic hotel room, but were informed upon arrival that since my son was not quite 3 that we were not allowed to stay in the hotel rooms. I was OK with that. I can understand how in an old hotel the rooms are probably not so soundproof and if you have a crying baby in the room next door it may not be so pleasant... So we would up in one of the motel rooms outside behind the hotel, which cost us an extra $10 per night.

The room was a pretty good size and the beds were comfortable enough. The only real negative for us was that the motel rooms only have a shower- no tub- which my 2 year old was NOT happy about! The cleaning staff were all teenagers in their pajamas, being VERY loud! This wasn't a problem most days, but one day we got up VERY early and went on a hike and came back to the room after lunch hoping to take a nap, but it didn't happen because the teenagers cleaning the rooms were all yelling and singing at the tops of their lungs! And it was just odd that they came to work everyday in their pajamas- seemed very unprofessional to me.

Overall, the place was fine. I don't mean to be entirely negative at all! The desk and giftshop staff were very friendly and we bought some t shirts there for good prices. The room rates were very good, even paying the extra $10 per night. This was the least expensive place we stayed on our whole trip and it was a very good value. It is walking distance to everything in town, too.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2008

We reserved a room in the motel.
They charged 5 dollar more then the reservation.
The room is ok but really little.
A problem: only one plug available in all the room and not plugs in the bathroom.
The bathroom was ok, but I had not the feeling of a perfect cleanliness (some hairs and an open bar of soap in the shower).
If you need a "cheap" (75$ on July) location in west yellowstone this motel is for you.... but if you can avoid...

Reviewed 17 July 2008

We didn't plan on staying a night in West Yellowstone, but it was getting dark. There are 3 Best Westerns in town so we called central reservations and all 3 were full. I'm so glad they were, because for 50% less money ($99) we ended up in a motel room at the Madison.

The motel has 2 parts, both are historic. The oldest is a log structure from the teens and the "newer" section is a classic, americana roadside motel. The room was quiet, but also had a good white noise producing air conditioner, which I find necessary to sleep.

The pizza and beer were good at the micro brew-pub at one of the Best Westerns on the main drag. I think it was called the Wolf's Den or something like that.

Reviewed 10 July 2008

I stayed in the historic part of the hotel in the "hostel" part. I had a room with a double bed and sink, but a shared toilet and shower.

The shower area was clean and well kept. If you have stayed in a hostel before or a place with a shared shower it would be no problem.

The room was very small and "well worn" with a hint of a musty smell. The double bed sagged in the middle when we slept on it (that just happens to be a pet peeve of mine). There is no free breakfast. There is an A/C unit in the wall.

It has a great location right at the West Entrance of Yellowstone, next to a lot of little shops.

The #1 reason I went was because it was much cheaper than any other hotel I could find - about $50 compared to $80.

There is internet but you have to pay for it. (I didn't use it.)

Aside from the size of the room, and the slightly worn feel to the room, the "historic" part of the building is actually pretty cool looking. I would stay again, if only to sacrifice a little of the comfort of a chain hotel for savings.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple